Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Nice! Hard to tell sometimes, but Judging from the photos it appears to be size 7 1/4, since if it was a 6 1/4 I’d think you’d easily be able to see its smallness.
Way to go, Joe! A fairly rare color for that time period.
Definitely a better deal than I just did!
“Better deal” is definitely a relative term here. Your Vita Felt is a tremendous and rare hat. And what a cool color scheme. Congratulations Randall. I look forward to seeing it in its final form.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, guys! @BobHufford and @Rmccamey
I’d much rather buy an expensive hat than a ticket to the Middle East
“Better deal” is definitely a relative term here. Your Vita Felt is a tremendous and rare hat. And what a cool color scheme. Congratulations Randall. I look forward to seeing it in its final form.

right about now, relatively speaking!
We have it really good the US. For now.
Prayin it can stay that way and also help for all those needing it over there!

Finally won a competitive bid war from the GW auction site! 3/4 years ago a body could find steals and deals, but now appears to have as much traffic and gotten as high as eBay.
$254 plus $20 shipping which includes a nice old Marathon hat box ain't bad considering this is a near mint 40s Vita-Felt Playboy with a little wider than usual cool pink ribbon. Wonder if it’s original?
Only niggle about the hat that I could tell is the bow keep missing, but hey, I know a hatter who, especially for me, works dirt cheap.
I barely won as my winning bid was $262.
And judging from past losses here I highly expected to lose! View attachment 552372 View attachment 552373

Fantastic hat! I’m glad I forgot to bid. :)

Mighty44

One Too Many
Finally won a competitive bid war from the GW auction site! 3/4 years ago a body could find steals and deals, but now appears to have as much traffic and gotten as high as eBay.
$254 plus $20 shipping which includes a nice old Marathon hat box ain't bad considering this is a near mint 40s Vita-Felt Playboy with a little wider than usual cool pink ribbon. Wonder if it’s original?
Only niggle about the hat that I could tell is the bow keep missing, but hey, I know a hatter who, especially for me, works dirt cheap.
I barely won as my winning bid was $262.
And judging from past losses here I highly expected to lose! View attachment 552372 View attachment 552373
That is a really nice hat!

Me too, if you was gonna bid more than $262!
If I remembered every hat I meant to bid on, I’d have to sell my place and hitchhike to your house. And hope you have room for a hick with a pull cart full of hats and hat boxes.

Edit: @deadlyhandsome

When I saw that hat I thought I’d bid just over $300 for it at the last few seconds. I like how it turned out much better.

Hopefully find out tomorrow. The hand written 6, I am sure is why it is listed as 6 1/4... and might Be a big indicator. But at the same time 6 1/4 would be an extremely unusual small size… not something we see too often. For the price it’s worth taking the swing.. and if it’s tiny…. Maybe it becomes a decoration or held for future grandkid someday?

Nice! Hard to tell sometimes, but Judging from the photos it appears to be size 7 1/4, since if it was a 6 1/4 I’d think you’d easily be able to see its smallness.
Way to go, Joe! A fairly rare color for that time period.
Definitely a better deal than I just did!
Can confirm 7 1/4. Coming to Post New Hats soon :cool:

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
My biggest score is my first hat....I was going back and forth on size and finally measured my head. I have a big head and got a practically brand new Stetson Temple, no flaws at all, for $60.

Got a Brent Hat for Montgomery Ward for $38 and it was also practically brand new.

I wore both so far but since they are so nice, especially the Brent and being how old it is, I don't want to mess it up.

My biggest score is my first hat....I was going back and forth on size and finally measured my head. I have a big head and got a practically brand new Stetson Temple, no flaws at all, for $60.

Got a Brent Hat for Montgomery Ward for $38 and it was also practically brand new.

I wore both so far but since they are so nice, especially the Brent and being how old it is, I don't want to mess it up.

Pics or it didn't happen.

This bowler / derby came with a mustache!

1699880825051.png

Maybe it’s a cleaning pad. :cool:

Not mine … though I did toss out a too-low bid.

Last edited:
Anyone here score this top hat? ;)

1700064808938.png

1700064876648.png

1700064901613.png

1700064924580.png

J. Pierpont Morgan, Sr.: Personally-Owned Top Hat. 14" x 10.5" x 8.75" brass, leather and silk-lined hat box. It houses a beaver top hat made by Knox of New York. One end of the case has stenciled letters reading "J. P. M." The inside sweatband has some pencil notations that read: [illeg.] 8-1-85 W 634-E [illeg.]". There is no written documentation; however, there are strong indications it was owned by the famous financier/tycoon. It was acquired at a small estate sale in Pennsylvania and represented as the property of J. P. Morgan, Sr. The consignors were descendants of George Walbridge Perkins, a close associate of "J. P." and partner in J. P. Morgan & Company from 1901 until Perkins's death in 1920. We have found two decorative objects that have sold at auction, belonging to Morgan, adorned with his initials J. P. M. (one a silver Tiffany paperweight and the other a Sterling playing card case by Henry Stuart Brown of London). Morgan purchased clothing from Harry Poole of London but Knox, headquartered in New York, made hats for twenty-three U. S. Presidents, going back to Lincoln. We have seen a photograph of Morgan, walking next to his son, wearing what appears to be an identical hat. The interior of the case and the hat itself are in perfect condition, while the case exhibits some light handling wear.

Condition: The interior of the case and the hat itself are in excellent condition, while the case exhibits some light handling wear.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Anyone here score this top hat? ;)

View attachment 560795

View attachment 560796

View attachment 560797

View attachment 560798

J. Pierpont Morgan, Sr.: Personally-Owned Top Hat. 14" x 10.5" x 8.75" brass, leather and silk-lined hat box. It houses a beaver top hat made by Knox of New York. One end of the case has stenciled letters reading "J. P. M." The inside sweatband has some pencil notations that read: [illeg.] 8-1-85 W 634-E [illeg.]". There is no written documentation; however, there are strong indications it was owned by the famous financier/tycoon. It was acquired at a small estate sale in Pennsylvania and represented as the property of J. P. Morgan, Sr. The consignors were descendants of George Walbridge Perkins, a close associate of "J. P." and partner in J. P. Morgan & Company from 1901 until Perkins's death in 1920. We have found two decorative objects that have sold at auction, belonging to Morgan, adorned with his initials J. P. M. (one a silver Tiffany paperweight and the other a Sterling playing card case by Henry Stuart Brown of London). Morgan purchased clothing from Harry Poole of London but Knox, headquartered in New York, made hats for twenty-three U. S. Presidents, going back to Lincoln. We have seen a photograph of Morgan, walking next to his son, wearing what appears to be an identical hat. The interior of the case and the hat itself are in perfect condition, while the case exhibits some light handling wear.

Condition: The interior of the case and the hat itself are in excellent condition, while the case exhibits some light handling wear.
Maybe the Morgan Library, JPMorgan or another institutional buyer. Or, yeah, maybe somebody just has a MUCH bigger hat budget than I do. Would look pretty good driving down the block in that $60 million Ferrari they just sold. ;)

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Defeat. Here is a 50’s Stetson Twenty Sovereign Mode Edge that I just received. It is a great looking classic fedora but unfortunately it has some mothing on the bottom felt that was undisclosed. There are some scratches on the sweatband (which may rub out) but other than that (and the moth damage) the hat is in great shape. If anyone is interested, I‘d be happy to sell this for my cost of $70 + you pay shipping using PayPal F&F. If no interest I’ll send it back.

Size is 7, brim is 2 3/8”, open crown is approx 5 1/2, hat band is 2”.

Send me a direct message if interested.

IMG_8334.jpeg
IMG_8335.jpeg
IMG_8336.jpeg
IMG_8338.jpeg
IMG_8339.jpeg
IMG_8347.jpeg
IMG_8340.jpeg
IMG_8341.jpeg
IMG_8346.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics