Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oumuamua

...I am awaiting later today (hopefully) the safe landing of the latest Mars Rover. It is targeted to land in what was once a lake bed and the soil should contain hints of former life. This rover is loaded with equipment to detect if microbial life is still present. Could be big news in coming weeks/months.
This has been a talking point on the local news this morning, and they keep reminding viewers to tune in a few hours from now to update everyone as this landing either progresses or literally goes up in flames.

I was very interested in the Apollo program when I was a yute in the 60s, but for whatever reason the Shuttle program didn't hold the same fascination for me even though I stumbled into a job working for a company that processed parts being manufactured for the Shuttles (cases for the rocket motors that launched each and every shuttle into orbit, internal engine components, and so on). Still, every once in a while some relatively minor fact catches my attention and reminds me of how phenomenal this whole effort is, and today I hung my hat on the fact that it takes approximately 14 minutes for the radio signal from Rover to reach Earth, and vice versa. 14 minutes. Roughly a quarter of an hour. Can you imagine sitting in the control room looking at the data and realizing not only that something has gone wrong, but that it happened 14 minutes ago and that you can't do anything about it for at least another 14 minutes? I don't possess that kind of patience and acceptance.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I am awaiting later today (hopefully) the safe landing of the latest Mars Rover. It is targeted to land in what was once a lake bed and the soil should contain hints of former life. This rover is loaded with equipment to detect if microbial life is still present. Could be big news in coming weeks/months.

It will take a little longer than that, many of us are likely to be fertilizer before anything certain is known.
Just a reminder, there is no life on Mars, the Perseverance Rover will be taking clay soil samples from the supposed lake bed (Jezero crater) in the hope of finding either fosillized remains of single cell life forms such as bacteria or traces of chemical residues that may indicate life was forming some 3.5 billion years ago when it is thought that Mars shared with the Earth similar conditions conjusive to creating life.
Here's where it gets complicated. The soil & regolith samples taken from different areas in the landing site, will be stored in tube like canistors & deposited at certain points & left there in the expectation of being collected during a future mission to Mars & returning them to Earth.
I heard the boffins mention 2031 for a planned mission to recuperate the canistors.
If you add on the years of research needed before any results can be published I'll either be dead or senile by that time.:D

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
NASA has just released footage of the Mars landing of the Perseverance Rover by the onboard cameras.

The Rover is also equiped with a microphone & for the first time we can hear the sound(s) of Mars.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That report is definitely a case of “is the glass half full or half empty.” Mind you, I haven’t read the complete report yet, but it sounds like something unknown is in our airspace and that is about all we can say. The military is now taking it seriously. (I certainly hope it is not Chinese technology.) We’ve come a long way from the mockery that was the standard response to the topic in the past. I’m sure more information will be dribbling out in the coming weeks.

Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom

Geomagnetic storm watch issued for planet Earth for Sunday, 26 Sept.

Update. Anyone see anything?

https://www.livescience.com/solar-storm-cme-september-2021

Plus… Holy Shinola! An asteroid almost the size of the great pyramid very nearly hit us a few days ago. It passed by at half the distance to the moon. We did not detect it because of the sun’s glare. Be still, my pounding heart.

https://www.esquireme.com/brief/new...th-but-nasa-didnt-detect-it-until-a-day-later

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points