Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our BBC display in Normandy 2009

benstephens

Practically Family
We put on a recreation of the BBC correspondents in Normandy in 1944.

The last pictures are in the Chateau at Cruelly, the room is the original studio where the 'War Report' broadcast was made from.

We were actually making recordings as well, and have some nice transcripts of the displats we visited.

DSC00821.jpg

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00834.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

DSC00844.jpg

DSC00847.jpg

Kindest Regards

Ben

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Didn't recognise 'you' there Ben...!

Those glasses really change your appearance! That looks marvellous. Was it tying in with the anniversary of the landings? (I'm assuming it was), and if so what sort of coverage did you get for it?

When you have time (I understand if you're too busy), let us know all about the trip please - but the pics are marvellous!! thanks for sharing :eusa_clap

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Disc recorder?!!

:eek: What do you use for blanks?

Of course this looks like cushy duty compared to my late friend S/Sgt Alvin Josephy USMC, who hit the beach at Guadalcanal with Springfield in hand AND 40 lbs of wire recorder on his back. :D

But a very impressive setup! :eusa_clap

benstephens

Practically Family
Thank you for the comments.

We were with a group who were representing the British forces at Gold Beach in a place called Ver Sur Mer. It was put on by the local French people as a living musuem as it were. Not being to keen on guns myself we thought we would represent the BBC.

The recorders way 40Lbs and were hand carried when the correspondents first landed. The BBC correspondents were sending back recordings from the first day of fighting, with some of the reporters being dropped with Airbourne troops.

As time progressed the BBC set up a broadcasting studio in the Chateau at Cruelly, and also by then had mobile recording vans. It was the first time that people had heard war reported so soon after the actual actions.

We were very well received by both Veterans and public and some of the recordings we actually made were fantastic.

I have taken a lot of photos with my 1930s Kodak, but have not had them developed yet.

Kindest Regards

Ben

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Reenactment has tremendous value in enabling us to see and feel it. These photographs are extraordinary. Detail, nuance, and of course, Ben's sense of the era is flawless. It's more than clothes.

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
I couldn't agree more. Very nice impression Ben, and so nice to see weight appropriate living historians.

benstephens

Practically Family
Yes we stayed with them most of the time, we speant a lot of the time with garrison.

I have been editing the recordings, but they do not seem to want to load onto YouTube

Kindest Regards

Ben

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Geoff (from GBLH) has his stuff up, I think.

benstephens said:
Yes we stayed with them most of the time, we speant a lot of the time with garrison.

I have been editing the recordings, but they do not seem to want to load onto YouTube

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24