Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our heads are getting bigger.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
forensic-anthropologists-find-american-heads-are-getting-larger

As most know the size issue with vintage hats is bad enough. All the tiny vintage heads.

White Americans’ heads are getting bigger. That’s according to research by forensic anthropologists at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

Lee Jantz, coordinator of UT’s Forensic Anthropology Center (FAC); Richard Jantz, professor emeritus and former director of the FAC; and Joanne Devlin, adjunct assistant professor, examined 1,500 skulls dating back to the mid-1800s through the mid-1980s. They noticed US skulls have become larger, taller, and narrower as seen from the front and faces have become significantly narrower and higher.

The researchers cannot pinpoint a reason as to why American head shapes are changing and whether it is primarily due to evolution or lifestyle changes.

“The varieties of changes that have swept American life make determining an exact cause an endlessly complicated proposition,” said Lee Jantz. “It likely results from modified growth patterns because of better nutrition, lower infant and maternal mortality, less physical work, and a breakdown of former ethnic barriers to marriage. Which of these is paramount we do not know.”

The researchers found that the average height from the base to the top of the skull in men has increased by eight millimeters (0.3 inches). The skull size has grown by 200 cubic centimeters, a space equivalent to a tennis ball. In women, the corresponding increases are seven millimeters and 180 cubic centimeters.

Skull height has increased 6.8 percent since the late 1800s, while body height has increased 5.6 percent and femur length has only increased about 2 percent. Also, skull height has continued to change whereas the overall heightening has recently slowed or stopped.

The scientists also noted changes that illustrate our population is maturing sooner. This is reflected in the earlier closing of a separation in the bone structure of the skull called the spheno-occipital synchondrosis which in the past was thought to fuse at about age twenty. Richard Jantz and Natalie Shirley, an adjunct assistant professor at the FAC, have found the bone is fusing much earlier—14 for girls and 16 for boys.

America’s obesity epidemic is the latest development that could affect skeletal shape but its precise effects are unclear.

“This might affect skull shape by changing the hormonal environment, which in turn could affect timing of growth and maturation,” said Richard Jantz. “We know it has an effect on the long bones by increasing muscle attachment areas, increasing arthritis at certain joints, especially the knee, and increasing the weight bearing capacity.”

The research only assessed Americans of European ancestry because they provided the largest sample sizes to work with. Richard Jantz said changes in skeletal structure are taking place in many parts of the world, but tend to be less studied. He said research has uncovered shifts in skull shape in Europe though it is not as dramatic as seen in the US.

The findings were presented on April 14 in Portland, Oregon, at the annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists.

job

One Too Many
Thanks for info. I believe it is diet alone.
We at the Lounge already knew that heads are larger now than in the past. Just look at E-bay.

Last edited:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Most likely from the lack of wearing hats....Heads left to grow without the proper support that a good hat gives...now after several generations...are showing the evolutionary affect...If we don't start wearing hats again as a species...who knows where it will end...lol....:eeek:

All kidding aside...Twenty years ago, I would have thought it was because mankind is using their brains more now than their muscle....But know I'm under the asumption, people in general seem to be using their brains less and less each year...so that blows the "more brain use" theory....;)

Last edited:
Thanks for info. I believe it is diet alone.
We at the Lounge already knew that heads are larger now than in the past. Just look at E-bay.

There isn't that big of a difference. Maybe one size? Just look at all the small size vintage NOS available. They didn't sell as well back then either.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Hmmm. Seems like when most men try on my hats their heads are too small. Small heads are still "in" baby! And I agree with the comment on people using their brains less and less. Plus, I know some really smart people with small heads.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The scientists also noted changes that illustrate our population is maturing sooner. This is reflected in the earlier closing of a separation in the bone structure of the skull called the spheno-occipital synchondrosis which in the past was thought to fuse at about age twenty. Richard Jantz and Natalie Shirley, an adjunct assistant professor at the FAC, have found the bone is fusing much earlier—14 for girls and 16 for boys.
I think this is a result of increased use of bovine, (and perhaps other) growth hormones which are given to livestock in order to make them grow faster. Seems that it is very similar to human growth factors,thus the obvious effects. The scariest question I think is, if these substances cause humans to mature sooner, perhaps they will also cause people to age faster too?

carldelo

One Too Many
Everyone is ignoring the Darwinian aspect --- we cranially-enhanced types are moving in and taking over, a normal and expected result of natural selection. The eventual utopian state is easily predicted, to wit:
STTheCage.jpg

Last edited:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Hmmm. Seems like when most men try on my hats their heads are too small. Small heads are still "in" baby! And I agree with the comment on people using their brains less and less. Plus, I know some really smart people with small heads.
I'm in absolute agreement with JB....So instead of the new Americans using their brains more and their heads becoming larger...apparently the opposite is true....They are using their brains so much less that their brains are becoming out of shape and over-weight and there-fore their heads are becoming larger or fatter....LOL....
Not calling anynames, this has taken several generations....this is more of an evolutionary change from the environmental influence of thinking and learning becoming more "uncool" with each new generation....although of course this is an unfair generalization....there are still some very clever people of every hat size...We see that here in our 'Lounge' everyday...Maybe there's a corrolation between hat wearers and people who tend to still consider 'thinking' a worthwhile endeavor...:)

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
I believe it´s a conspiracy of capitalist hatmakers! They put growth hormons in our water so that our heads get bigger and bigger. This means we can´t buy the cheap stuff from Ebay but have to buy bigger and bigger, new hats from them! :eeek:

Oh, I know where this will end....

dark-helmet.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo