Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Have any idea how difficult it would be to start up a B-17 or a PBY Catalina without 'em? If you did, you might reconsider...

But they haven't yet been invented.

An Anzani "W" or an OX-5 starts just fine by itself.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Does our vintage town have a bakery? I just made a double-batch of shortbread cookies which are, if I say so myself...excellent! If there's a bakery in town, I might volunteer there once a week and help out.

...I wonder what kinds of food would be served in vintage restaurants, cafes, bakeries, delicatessens, butchers and so-forth? What would the diet of our Vintage Town be like?

And where would the food and drink come from?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well, in our fantasy town, we would doubtless have a dairy, named "Producer's" or "Milmont". I picture a great building with an arch-truss roof and walls of yellow or brown glazed structural tile about a mile west of town.

Each morning at four-oh-six the delivery wagons would leave on their daily rounds.

In my real town, most folks purchase gallon jugs of a milk-like substance at the Wal-Mart. We, however, often drive for some of our Amish friends, and so every second day we take delivery of a couple of quarts of fresh whole raw milk (from Jersey cows) the occasional roll of home-churned butter, and a half-dozen freshly laid eggs.

Just now, we are helping Jonah and Marthy with seasonal canning in the afternoons, and will bring home a larder full of goodies for the coming winter. Marthy is a great pickler, but this year she tried a couple of my old recipies for Chow-Chow, Mangoes (a pickle which has naught to do with the tropical fruit) and curried Sinjboontjes.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Is the overall concept of the Vintage Town to have only vintage things within its corporate limits, or is the consensus that it should be more of a reverse Potemkin village with hidden, more modern features ?

I'm enjoying all of this.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well, my artist friend had to go out of town for a month or two, not sure when she will be back. She does say that if she gets a chance, she will continue drawing the Vintage Town but I'm not sure how likely that is, I hope I did not get anyone's hopes up only to dash them to pieces.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
"YOU'RE A MONSTER! How DARE you build up this little boy's hopes and then SMASH all his dreams to pieces!?"

- Grandpa Joe - "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".

I'm sorry, your line just reminded me of that quote. I'm sure any illustrations that come will be wonderful.

Shangas said:
Does our vintage town have a bakery? I just made a double-batch of shortbread cookies which are, if I say so myself...excellent! If there's a bakery in town, I might volunteer there once a week and help out.

...I wonder what kinds of food would be served in vintage restaurants, cafes, bakeries, delicatessens, butchers and so-forth? What would the diet of our Vintage Town be like?

Here's a description of what one such establishment might look like. :)

"Vecchia was not a caterer, he was The Caterer of Zenith. Most coming-out parties were held in the white and gold ballroom of Maison Vecchia; at all the nice teas the guests recognized the five kinds of Vecchia sandwiches and the seven kinds of Vecchia cakes; and all really smart dinners ended, as on a revolving chord, in Vecchia Neapolitan ice cream in one of the three reliable molds -- the melon mold, the round mold like a layer cake, and the long brick.

Vecchia's shop had pale blue woodwork, tracery of plaster roses, attendants in frilled aprons, and glass shelves of "kisses" with all the refinement that inheres in whites of eggs."

Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis (1922)

Quirky tourist attractions such as a World's Biggest Ball of String, monuments to obscure, eccentric local heroes (preferably one who died in a freak accident), The Seven Wonders of the World reproduced in our town's most famous product, a museum dedicated to the history of salad bowls, or an Eiffel Tower made out of toothpicks. :D

V.C. Brunswick said:
Quirky tourist attractions such as a World's Biggest Ball of String, monuments to obscure, eccentric local heroes (preferably one who died in a freak accident), The Seven Wonders of the World reproduced in our town's most famous product, a museum dedicated to the history of salad bowls, or an Eiffel Tower made out of toothpicks. :D

Those are all excellent ideas. There were tons of these things dotting the American landscape back in the day.
We still have a Mystery Spot around here that gives me headaches every time I go there. lol
We need to add a duck shaped house to that list. ;) :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
jamespowers said:
Only vintage with a minimal amount of modern hidden. :D

Indeed. If we're just a vintage veneer on a modern core, we're nothing but a theme park.

Maybe what we need for those who insist on modernity is a theme park outside town -- call it, oh, "The World Of Tomorrow," and charge a steep admission to get in. Or even better, let them in for free and charge them twenty bucks a head to get out.

LizzieMaine said:
Indeed. If we're just a vintage veneer on a modern core, we're nothing but a theme park.

Maybe what we need for those who insist on modernity is a theme park outside town -- call it, oh, "The World Of Tomorrow," and charge a steep admission to get in. Or even better, let them in for free and charge them twenty bucks a head to get out.

The World of Tomorrow. lol
$20 to get out sounds fine to me. lol I would pay. lol

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
V.C. Brunswick said:
Here's a description of what one such establishment might look like. :)

Veccia's is great, but how about a confectionary operated by another Italian immigrant, say a certain Mr. Gulliermo De Rose, called, perhaps "De Rose Arbor"?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I wanted to make up for not having pictures from my artist friend and luckily my uncle was passing through my hometown in Illinois. The town has not changed since at all and for that I am very thankful. It was actually named by Abraham Lincoln. Yes... that one. And in so many ways I wish I could be back there living. Ah well.

Take a look at some of the photos. First up is the town hall.

40471_436208822896_657447896_4995318_5010684_n.jpg

The post office:

40441_436209052896_657447896_4995324_3506136_n.jpg

Watson's drug, still privately owned:

40276_436208907896_657447896_4995322_30462_n.jpg

The road into town:

40342_436211782896_657447896_4995468_589293_n.jpg

And the other direction:

39880_436212257896_657447896_4995495_6096831_n.jpg

What my hometown is famous for... corn.

39627_436212497896_657447896_4995508_4087975_n.jpg

Forum statistics