Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If it's necessary, I could fill in the role of the town's dark and shady oriental quarter, with a laundry, an opium den and an open-late Chinese restaurant serving up delicacies of the East to the unsuspecting and eternally curious western diners...

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I think we'll just go with the late night food joint... that'd be good... hey speaking of late night, we need an all night coffee shop! For all those gumshoes who can't crack a case, I mean all those writers who can't finish their script, I mean that guy who fell in love with the wrong girl and can't get over her... I mean...
you feel me?

Shangas said:
If it's necessary, I could fill in the role of the town's dark and shady oriental quarter, with a laundry, an opium den and an open-late Chinese restaurant serving up delicacies of the East to the unsuspecting and eternally curious western diners...

A vintage Chinatown would not be complete without the labyrinthian network of the underground secret tunnels much beloved of pulp fiction, B-movie serials and urban legend! :D

LizzieMaine said:
Don't forget an industrial section -- a small shoe factory, say, or a clothing factory, or a pickle works, or a sardine cannery. Anything to give year round jobs that doesn't involve pandering to tourists.

We also need a dairy, with a fleet of horse-drawn milk carts making deliveries every morning. And a coal and ice dealer, with a grimy man in a grimy truck hauling fuel for the winter

I'd plump for a Sunkist orange packing house. Almost every town in Southern California had one back in the day. And it goes without saying -- acres of orange groves outside of town!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
There has to be at least one (hell, three or more!) late night establishments. I'm thinking coffee-shops, doughnut shops, nightclubs, bars, seedy dives...Somewhere dim and smokey with coffee and hooch and a lone piano-player in the corner. A place suitable for late-night rendezvous, reflection and the odd shake-up and police-bust. Somewhere where a shamus, detective, budding mystery and crime writer or a well-dressed couple can go for a quiet night out...

I wonder what such places would be named...?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
So I discussed the town idea with my artist friend and she loved the idea. Right now she's doing art for a movie, but when she is done, she says she would like to draw some of the town. Just the mainstays like the main drag (with the lawn and the parking and the shops) and some of the major buildings.

So I will keep in touch with her and post pictures when I receive them.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Eh, I know how to fix stuff. Can I run the Garage/shop? I'll get the gas pumps, with the glass windows, and the balls that swirl around when the gas is pumped. The gas attendees will wear bow ties, but smoke cigarettes while they pump the gas, 'cause they're working class.

I'm going to have a desk. A nice one made of solid oak (it used to be the mayors), there will be a bottle of Johny Walker on the desk. next to that, an ash tray the broad at the ceramic shop gave to me as a gift.

If any tires fall off the car, that means you forgot to bring me some wine the last time you saw me. I'm a nice guy though, don't worry.

Oh, excuse, and enjoy my bad english

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
The hippies I've met are those who believe that the world owes them a living and have little or no respect to property, proper hygiene, laws or contributing to society.

You just described the red-necks in Southern Ohio!!! Some may have long hair, but they would react badly if called a hippy.

Cheers,
Tom

D

Deleted member 12480

this is such a cool thread!! Do you have need of an amateur Billie Holiday wannabe/ paper girl? lol

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'm surprised we haven't had anyone say they want to be the local private eye. ;) I'd do it but I have an aversion to being cold-cocked by a thug when I go following up on a hunch. :eusa_doh:

From what I've gathered in reading this entire thread this will not be a dry town, so there won't be a need for Prohibition-style speakeasies. But... it's gone back and forth on the modern-day electronics issue. Just as back in Prohibition days people still got their booze, in an era of electronic Prohibition there will still be those who want their Internet access. To support this I'll run the "secret" Internet cafe/speakeasy. Computers in private nooks where you can come in and rent on-line time to do your e-mail, web-surfing, Facebook-updating, and Fedora Lounge-posting! lol

Or, if electronics are allowed (but kept under the radar) I'll be the local "telephone" repair guy providing discreet IT support. ;)

Cheers,
Tom

Derek WC

Banned
deleteduser said:
this is such a cool thread!! Do you have need of an amateur Billie Holiday wannabe

Or how about a Bing Crosby sound-alike. Honestly, I sing just like him, also I'm fairly good at rough work, but also finish work in carpentry.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
deleteduser said:
this is such a cool thread!! Do you have need of an amateur Billie Holiday wannabe/ paper girl? lol

What's a paper girl, Annie? I'm awake a 3 am my time so I hope it's not just a gal that delievers papers.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
One thing this town will certainly need is a local watchmaker/jeweller/clockmaker, what with all the antique and vintage pocket watches, wristwatches and fancy mechanical clocks we have around town, eh?

Timeless Time Watches & Clocks
Servicing, Repairs.
Quality watches, jewellery, clocks bought & sold

normalrockwellw2b.jpg

Painting by Norman Rockwell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo