Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hum - I think I might need a Commonwealth enclave for those who are polite and prefer to be very much unarmed. Something a fair distance from all the gunsel's. Afterall - a gun ruins the line of ones suit!

That's where I want to be.
Throw in a cricket field , a nice pub and a grass airstrip for single engined planes and I am all for it.

Oh yeah, been fighting it for years. My Pa's gotten used to it, but Ma just can't get past it. Always on me for not 'conforming'. She was just on me for it the other day and I told her I conform plenty. Because I would very much like to be in a suit and fedora driving my DeSoto!

:eeek::eek: You have a lot to contend with there. :p

Oh yeah, been fighting it for years. My Pa's gotten used to it, but Ma just can't get past it. Always on me for not 'conforming'. She was just on me for it the other day and I told her I conform plenty. Because I would very much like to be in a suit and fedora driving my DeSoto!

Gee, I guess I was lucky. My mother always got a big bang out of me dressing like they did way back when. She always said it was "simpler time." I would add safer and a host of other things but......:p
I am sure you can relate to being able to get decent Falstaff beer.:D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My mother once said to me, and I quote, "I am not setting foot in public with you until you take off that damn stupid hat." So it's not just gents who have that problem.

Needless to say, there will be no such comments in our town, except perhaps on the college campus, where all freshmen will wear beanies.

My mother once said to me, and I quote, "I am not setting foot in public with you until you take off that damn stupid hat." So it's not just gents who have that problem.

Needless to say, there will be no such comments in our town, except perhaps on the college campus, where all freshmen will wear beanies.

Wow! That was a tough one.
Beanies?! Boy, I am glad I graduated from college already.:p

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Wow! That was a tough one.
Beanies?! Boy, I am glad I graduated from college already.:p

My dad said that when he started college they tried to make him wear a beanie, and that was in the sixties! I thought that trend had been killed off by the G.I. Bill. Can you imagine telling some guy who had stormed Omaha beach carrying a B.A.R. that since he was a freshman, he had to wear a beanie?

-Dave

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I wore a beanie freshman year at RPI, fall of '64. Only for freshman week, tho. I still have it tho it's kinda beat up and moth eaten. Like me.
Beanie.jpg

Troy, NY was definitely a vintage town.

My grandpa likes it, because of the fact that my hair's similar to his, and we have similar tastes in cars, furniture, etc, etc. My parents have no interest in the things they grew up with. My pa does like how I decorated my apartment, he says it feels like home when he was growing up.

When they discontinued Falstaff, my pa bought a ton of it and stashed it away. Now he's mourning the loss of his favorite beer, Bud Dry lol.

Gee, I guess I was lucky. My mother always got a big bang out of me dressing like they did way back when. She always said it was "simpler time." I would add safer and a host of other things but......:p
I am sure you can relate to being able to get decent Falstaff beer.:D

My grandpa likes it, because of the fact that my hair's similar to his, and we have similar tastes in cars, furniture, etc, etc. My parents have no interest in the things they grew up with. My pa does like how I decorated my apartment, he says it feels like home when he was growing up.

When they discontinued Falstaff, my pa bought a ton of it and stashed it away. Now he's mourning the loss of his favorite beer, Bud Dry lol.

I figured your grandparents might be a bit more receptive. :D
Gee, you would have to stash away quite a lot for it to last these five or six years so far.:eusa_doh: The last couple years they made Falstaff it was nothing like it was in the 50s-60s though. :eusa_doh::rolleyes:

Oh they very much are. We bought the Falstaff up, strictly for collectibility's sake. Something neat to go with our brewery collection which is mostly pre '33, but also includes certain modern obscurities.

I figured your grandparents might be a bit more receptive. :D
Gee, you would have to stash away quite a lot for it to last these five or six years so far.:eusa_doh: The last couple years they made Falstaff it was nothing like it was in the 50s-60s though. :eusa_doh::rolleyes:

Well, as far as my walls and decorating, I went with some vintage colors, beige-whites, yellow, green. As far as artwork, I have the classic 'flying ducks' on the wall, a starburst clock, vintage landscapes, ads, and other pictures.

These photos are a bit old, and I need to post new ones, but here's a thread on what I've been doing with the place.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?47670-My-new-place&highlight=
Tom, if you don't mind me asking, what did you do with the walls in your apartment?

MissMittens

One Too Many
Thanks Tom. Unfortunately I don't think I can paint the walls here, but I think the jadite jars in the kitchen, and especially your red overstuffed chair, are really really cool. I had an old Kelvinator "streamlined" refridgerator a few years ago I bought at a yard sale.....wish I'd kept it :/

tbrunke

Familiar Face
300 days of sunshine?! That sounds pretty good. I always thought of Colorado as a frozen tundra in winter.

I am originally from Michigan and people out there think the same thing of Colorado. The majority of residents here live on the Front Range and the weather is great. The mountains will get hit with snow, with some areas having snow year round, but here on the "flats" near the foothills we have fantastic weather.

tbrunke

Familiar Face
But what's the temperature on most of those 300 days? During the winter in Juneau, we do not look forward to sunshine as it often means a drop in the temperature... the clouds trap the heat or some sort of thing.

It is not uncommon to have most sunny days in the 50's to 60's during the traditional colder months. In the warmer months it usually hovers in the 80's to 90's and being as we are a dry climate, humidity is very low as well, making it bearable to wear suits in the summer time. This year we have no snow in Denver, or anywhere on the Front Range for that matter, and this Monday (Xmas week) it was almost 70 degrees!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner