Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Widebrim said:
I'd be one of the town's school teachers (no corporal punishment, just washing the restroom floors), and...

th_MkImage.jpg

an Army recruiter on Saturdays. (Of course, we would have a National Guard armory for a troop of horse Cavalry.)

What no corporal punishment?! ;) :p
We need an Army recruiter as no one has mentioned that before.:eusa_clap

jamespowers said:
Those aren't those rusty sea darts that can land in water are they? ;) :p
As cool as the idea of a supersonic seaplane is, Sea Dart was a technical failure like its land-based parent the XF-92 Dart. The Deuce was a marginal success evolved from the '92, and the Six was a resounding success for twenty years... until some fool had a MacNamara moment and decided in their infinite wisdom--which wouldn't fill the head of an amoeba--that "F-15s can do it all, time to ditch 'em"--never mind that the Six can outturn any other high-speed combat jet except maybe the F-22 or the Sukhoi Berkut...)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not going to check if this has already been mentioned (going through 40-odd pages, are you NUTS?)...but if this little locality ever was a reality, I'd be happy to fill in the position of town stationer. Stocking stuff like stamps, envelopes, letter-writing paper, notepaper, notebooks, blotting-paper, fountain pens, inks, pencils, erasers, rulers, sealing-wax and other desktop necessities.

I'd also offer a minor repair-service for whatever fountain pens you happened to drop those five, harrowing feet, from your hand, to the floor.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
We could have someone running tours throughout the town for revenue, kinda a step back in time sorta thing.

I wonder if something like this could ever be a reality?

They have western themed towns, why not an old vintage-fashioned town?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
The word vintage is very unspecific if you ask me. The term “Vintage” really has meaning when tied to a specific year. Like in this context: this Cadillac is of a 1940 Vintage. Or, this Hi-Fi is of a 1980 Vintage. And in this case, an old west town is of an 1880’s Vintage.

Of course a true period town where people live a 30s – 40s life style and such is very possible. It’s just a matter of money. There are whole towns in the Midwest that are abandoned that could be purchased for very little and could be refurbished to become such a place. Anything is possible, it would take money, time and work… lots of work to get it to a place where it could be livable and to where people would want to come and see it.

There would need to be a gathering of very knowledgeable types who know the craft of repair and maintenance of classic cars, appliances and such. Also some who know the craft of making natural fabrics such as it was at the time. There couldn’t be any modern conveniences such as computers and cell phones or anything connecting us with the modern world. It would truly be a place where people could escape the wilds of the world and find peace and experience what it was like in those days.

People would have to be them selves, no fakeness going on, I mean no one trying to play a roll of some fictitious person of that era. We’d also have a dairy where they could bottle milk and have milk routs, we’d have an open cab Good Humor ice cream man, a Helm’s Bakery truck that would deliver fresh bread from the bakery daily, there would be an Ice man who would ride around and deliver ice to those who had real ice boxes and not electric fridges. Remember, there were still plenty of people with ice boxes into the 40s.

There would be a radio station that would broadcast news, shows and band broadcasts. Not only old ones but, would broadcast from the ballroom in town of the bands that would play there. It would be the most amazing place to visit. Once the town was set up, I could see a real train station where there would be a fully functional rail road that would take people in and or out of the town by way of steam locomotives and heavy weight cars.

For it to start, I have talked with a good friend of mine and he always says that it would be good to find just an old hotel building some where and restore it correctly and a good deal of us all move into it. Have an operator on the main floor, could connect calls within the building, thus using the classic phones we’d have… and we’d have a garage where we’d park all of our classic cars. That would be a start to the town we’d all enjoy I’m sure.

bobalooba said:
We could have someone running tours throughout the town for revenue, kinda a step back in time sorta thing.

I wonder if something like this could ever be a reality?

They have western themed towns, why not an old vintage-fashioned town?
Pretty much the whole "tourist" thing would be necessary to make it affordable--it'd be like being a permanent resident at Disneyland, though.

----------------
Now playing: History Channel Club - Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture
via FoxyTunes

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
Of course a true period town where people live a 30s – 40s life style and such is very possible. It’s just a matter of money. There are whole towns in the Midwest that are abandoned that could be purchased for very little and could be refurbished to become such a place. Anything is possible, it would take money, time and work… lots of work to get it to a place where it could be livable and to where people would want to come and see it.

There would need to be a gathering of very knowledgeable types who know the craft of repair and maintenance of classic cars, appliances and such. Also some who know the craft of making natural fabrics such as it was at the time. There couldn’t be any modern conveniences such as computers and cell phones or anything connecting us with the modern world. It would truly be a place where people could escape the wilds of the world and find peace and experience what it was like in those days.

People would have to be them selves, no fakeness going on, I mean no one trying to play a roll of some fictitious person of that era. We’d also have a dairy where they could bottle milk and have milk routs, we’d have an open cab Good Humor ice cream man, a Helm’s Bakery truck that would deliver fresh bread from the bakery daily, there would be an Ice man who would ride around and deliver ice to those who had real ice boxes and not electric fridges. Remember, there were still plenty of people with ice boxes into the 40s.

There would be a radio station that would broadcast news, shows and band broadcasts. Not only old ones but, would broadcast from the ballroom in town of the bands that would play there. It would be the most amazing place to visit. Once the town was set up, I could see a real train station where there would be a fully functional rail road that would take people in and or out of the town by way of steam locomotives and heavy weight cars.

For it to start, I have talked with a good friend of mine and he always says that it would be good to find just an old hotel building some where and restore it correctly and a good deal of us all move into it. Have an operator on the main floor, could connect calls within the building, thus using the classic phones we’d have… and we’d have a garage where we’d park all of our classic cars. That would be a start to the town we’d all enjoy I’m sure.

It would be grand even if we could just refurbish an old hotel and live there! I would love to give it a shot!:eusa_clap Yet with all of our diverse, vintage personalities...could we really make it a go??[huh]

kampkatz

Practically Family
Somehow the descriptions remind me of Thornton Wilder's
"Our Town" which would also include the inevitable personal losses. No matter where we go, the reality of life(tragedy,sickness,etc.) cannot be
escaped.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
Of course us coppers would carry blackjacks! Paddy wagons for sure. And just for fun riding boots and breeches with Sam Brown belts. I already have my eye on a 1926 vintage Colt New Service revolver in .45 Long Colt as my duty weapon.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Police-cars? Motorcycles?

A real vintage town would have the good, old-fashioned, friendly, neighbourhood...

BEAT COP.

A truncheon, a revolver and a shiny, nickel-plated J. Hudson Metropolitan two-chamber pealess police-whistle.

Ahem:

CDAC002.jpg

I bought just such a whistle at the flea-market once upon a time (cost me $20 and it's in great condition!). I never realised how LOUD they actually are! No wonder they said you could hear these things for two and a half miles on a quiet day.

And if the town was large enough, it might also need a police callbox or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24