Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Closet?

Foofoogal

Banned
I love to read the different threads here and was reading the ones about the corporate wedding [huh] and about the office attire and have to ask.
I notice alot of the posters here are from Arizona or California or New York.
I know tons of vintage clothing is sold but here in Texas I don't see it on actually alot of people.
I just bought about 45 pairs of gloves as I am hearing it is becoming fashionable from the East Coast and Europe. I am also hearing it may have something to do with bird flu as you get less germs with gloves. ;) I have lots of vintage clothing I just like to look at. I have a huge thing about brocade!
I am in the process of putting together an outfit and have 1/2 of it and am getting the other 1/2. I hope I will not chicken out and wear it somewhere.
Is there different parts of the country which is what my question finally is that actually wears vintage clothing as a whole more?
Since like someone said alot of the newer clothing has a vintage style to it I am only assuming it will be much more compatible.
I have sold alot and a few have been to movie wardrobe departments. Is this alot of where this stuff is going?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I live in Arizona, and hardly anyone wears vintage here (and I don't count the 70s-80s stuff that seems to be popular everywhere.) I see the occasional rockabilly guy or gal, who may or may not actually be in vintage, and every once in awhile I see someone in mod clothing. I have a few friends who collect and wear vintage, but that's about it. One friend owns a vintage clothing shop, and she has sold some pieces to photographers and collectors (from as far away as England and France), as well as to a woman who wanted to cut up dresses to make doll clothes :eek: (incidentally, she wouldn't sell any of the rare 1920s pieces to her.)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I live in Boston, and I rarely see anyone dressed in vintage.
I do see some gals dressed retro 50's, but I don't believe I've ever seen anyone dressed 30's and 40's, which are my favorite, along with early 1900's. I never wear the Edwardian/Titanic era dresses I have, unless I'm going to an event, which we've never actually had in Boston.
When dressed in vintage, I stick out like a sore thumb. People usually don't get it, but I don't care.
I am amazed at the amount of members we have. We are growing by 50 people a week. But, I only know a few of you gals who live in my area. Also, I only know of 3 vintage shops in my area that have nice outfits from the eras I prefer.
I have heard that LA and San Francisco are vintage mecca's. I think their are more vintage gals out that way. I also hear that their are vintage shops and swap meets all over the place. But, I could be wrong. It just seems that our members from that area have a lot more get togethers and that they often talk about vintage finds from stores verses e-bay. A lot of the vintage clothes I have were bought on ebay, from sellers on the west coast.

So, although the New York and Boston are supposedly filled with stylish people. I don't think there are huge vintage communities. I think the vintage community is much bigger in New York than Boston.

Foofoogal

Banned
"as well as to a woman who wanted to cut up dresses to make doll clothes"

I have sold quite a few aprons to people who make doll clothes. Seems the real organza is no longer made.

Side note: I have lots of old magazines and they sell for a lot more if you cut the pages out and sell individually. I draw the line at this and cannot do it. :eusa_doh:

Girl Friday

Practically Family

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have sold quite a few aprons to people who make doll clothes. Seems the real organza is no longer made.

She wasn't buying aprons, or scrap fabric, or even costume-quality vintage. She wanted a beaded flapper dress, as well as some other high end dresses, for her project. She was rude, to boot!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
sandysfancy said:
Side note: I have lots of old magazines and they sell for a lot more if you cut the pages out and sell individually. I draw the line at this and cannot do it. :eusa_doh:

As someone who depends on old magazines as source material for serious research, *thank you* for not cutting them up. It makes my blood boil when I see people doing this and throwing away the pages that don't have the nice ads or pretty pictures.

A magazine in its original, complete form is a cultural document. A cut up magazine is just a pile of paper.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
As someone who depends on old magazines as source material for serious research, *thank you* for not cutting them up. It makes my blood boil when I see people doing this and throwing away the pages that don't have the nice ads or pretty pictures.

A magazine in its original, complete form is a cultural document. A cut up magazine is just a pile of paper.

And how! Just make a copy of the image you want to frame :rolleyes:

maisie

Practically Family
Did anyone see all the old 1940s Vogue magazines on ebay, it was only the front cover but the starting price was $9.99, not surprising really when hardly any of them had bids, however if i saw a Vogue magazine (complete) for sale for the same price i would bid, so it just shows they should have kept the rest of them!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I see people dressed in vintage in LA & Long Beach (and not just FLers) somtimes.

Where I live there is even a guy who dresses like Charlie Chaplin in San Pedro (he might be crazy though).

I am still amazed at the 45 pairs of gloves!

maisie

Practically Family
Not that many people i know dress 1940s everyday, but i do know a couple of people that do and live in houses decked out with 1940s stuff to match!!
But if you go up to London you will see all sorts (some very weird:eek: ) dressed in anything and everything so you are sure to see someone in vintage stuff!!

ladyk

Familiar Face
maisie said:
Not that many people i know dress 1940s everyday, but i do know a couple of people that do and live in houses decked out with 1940s stuff to match!!
But if you go up to London you will see all sorts (some very weird:eek: ) dressed in anything and everything so you are sure to see someone in vintage stuff!!

Myself and my best friend being two of them! I'm more 40s/early 50s, where she tends to be more bad girl 50s through to mod 60s. Our home is 60% vintage too, so it became the norm for us long ago and if you don't feel odd in what you are doing then what the rest of the world doesn't really count.

I wear vintage daily, and although I tend to get a few odd looks, 11 years of wearing vintage every day does tend to numb the effect! You get less odd looks in London though, it's home of all of societies oddities lol

Wxx

Carolie

No one wears vintage around here in Tampa, aside from me and a friend of mine. Everyone around my age just follows the latest trends. =/ We have a few vintage shops, but they're really not worth going to except for one called La France. The ladies that run the shop are really nice and they have a spiffy collection of stuff. I'd buy 90% of the store if I could haha. :) I'll be moving to Orlando, and I can't find a vintage store around where I'll be living so I'm going to safely assume no one wears vintage clothing there either. :cry:

Rosie

One Too Many
I'm in NYC and I hardly ever see people in vintage. I know they are here, I just never see them. Once I saw a guy dressed in 20's clothing, he was on a bike and when we saw one another, he swung around to say hi to me. I see people dressed in vintage inspired clothing but truthfully, I don't think they know what they are wearing IS vintage inspired, it's just what is being sold now. I do see women dressed in a vintage piece here or there but, they'll wear sneakers or some boho style bag with it so, they're meshing styles. As I'm bigger, most of my vintage attire comes from the bay or, I do like big ladies did back in the day and make my clothing. Usually in vintage/thrift shops, I'll buy accessories. I just went to one in my neighborhood today (it's HUGE, I'm going back tomorrow to finish scrounging) and found a great skirt (yay!). But to answer your question, no, I don't see many people dressed in complete vintage here.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Where are you in Texas?

I am in Fort Worth and I very rarely see vintage being worn, even at swing dances! I've seen a few here and there, and last week I saw a girl in a very cute 1930s-inspired ensemble at the antique mall, but that's about it. I'm a WWII reenactor and a swing dancer, so I have a good "in" with the few vintage-attired folks here in town. I have to admit that most days, I don't dress vintage. Usually I only do it for an event, or if I'm just feeling vintage. I do "vintage inspired" more often. There are a couple of good sources for vintage stuff around here. I do think that Dallas has a larger vintage scene. I've been to some events in the Lakewood area and there at least seems to be a fairly large rockabilly scene over that way.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Here in the Midwest, I don't see a lot of people wearing vintage either. One of my friends has been wearing "Walton-style" clothes (her terminology, named after the Waltons TV show) for a couple of years now. I just recently started wearing more vintage/vintage inspired clothing. As soon as I get enough vintage/vintage inspired clothes for my wardrobe, I'll probably get rid of most of my "modern" clothing except for a few jeans and stuff to wear out in the garden--until I find a pattern for that.

Since vintage wearing hasn't become a trend yet here (the Midwest is always a step behind the East and West coast trends) I'm still finding some good bargains in the thrift stores. That's why I want to get my wardrobe established before the stuff is gone. My local antique shop did say that the younger gals are wearing vintage stuff to proms and dances and they are becoming regular customers for him. I have some gloves and hats that I'm hoping to have the guts to wear in public. I'm part of a group of historical re-enactors that do stuff from the 1880s thru WW2 and when we occasionally go out on the town we'll get the usual stares and comments. We were on a 1930s outing in July and someone had to ask us, "Who are you? Did you have a wedding? Where are you going?" One of the guys in our group said we were on our way to a safe house in Wisconsin. The lady questioning us didn't get it. A bunch of us will be meeting in Madison, WI on the 19th for a 1930s get together. We seem to attract more stares and comments when we're in a group.

I rarely have anyone say anything to me when I'm alone dressed in vintage. But this thread may just inspire me to go head-to-toe vintage out in public. Its easy to follow the crowd (as in clothing trends), but I think it takes a lot of self confidence to be true to yourself and dress how you want to. My confidence is building every day and its encouraging to read about others who have the same interests as me.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
The Lakewood Theatre has hosted several events, they show White Christmas every December, and used to play a classic movie once a month (they need to start again!) we have dressed up for that. Also went to a hangar dance at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison.

Have you been to the Balcony Club next to the Lakewood theatre? Every time I am there I feel like I should be wearing vintage, I think I'll start!

This part of Texas has some really cool historical stuff. The buildings at the State Fair were built in 1936 for the Texas centennial, Bonnie and Clyde stuff, a lot of Oak Cliff is being restored. You just have to get past the McMansions and fake stuff! Oh yeah and the heat!

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I live in Syracuse. (Upstate New York) I never see anyone wearing vintage. If I did, I would go up to them and beg them to be my friend! lol I wear alot of vintage inspired outfits, they are easier to find. There aren't any good vintage shops when it comes to clothes. The thrift shops are filled with cast off 80's and 90's clothes. Once my collection of vintage clothes gets bigger I will wear more out. My friends don't get me, just one more weird thing about Lorie, they say. I have alot of vintage patterns and plan on making outfits from them. (once I am done making a flowergirl dress for my friends daughter.) There just has to be someone else in all of Upstate New York that loves the Golden Era!![huh]

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Out of the Closet downside...

I didn't know whether to start a new thread or not, but I think it goes with this one.

I've been interested in the 1930-1940 eras for years, but only recently started dressing vintage/vintage-style (BTW-my hubby LOVES the more feminine look) and even decorating my home in a more vintage look. "Coming out of the closet" with vintage now has a friend and my mother raising an eyebrow at me. My mother is a little eccentric herself and that doesn't really bother me, but some of the comments my friend made really took me back. My "friend" even went as far as to suggest that I must have a hormone imbalance because people don't change overnight--not that I did--I've been wanting to do this for years and even talked about it in the past. This friend hasn't really seen me in over a year--we just chat occasionally on the phone and via email. Have any of you ever had someone think you were a little "unbalanced" because you dressed vintage? Not that I really care what this friend thinks--we've disagreed on other issues in the past. I've never connected my personal style with a mental problem as my friend is hinting. I think I'm going to cool it with this friend for a while because she OBVIOUSLY doesn't understand me. Too many people today get caught up in the "cookie cutter" mold of modern style and if someone looks different than the rest of the crowd, they assume something must be wrong with them. I encountered this during my schoolgirl days and was teased a lot because of my individual preferences. Nowadays I don't mind the stares or comments because I'm finally being true to myself. If I'm hormonally-deranged, I sure hope I stay this way because life is much more fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy