Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: The sad demise of pipe smoking

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Pipe smoking's still fairly common here in Norway, and especially in the north where there's a lot of fishermen and it's popular with them.

Good thing with that as it means that most of the cornershops carry an OK selection of tobaccos.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
It depends on what type of pipe you're talking about. There are plenty of young people today who smoke pipes, only they're putting weed in theirs instead of tobacco. But I guess the article mentions that...

My boyfriend is a cigarette smoker, but every now and again, he'll smoke out of his corncob pipe during lazy downtime at home.

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Cigar smokers are too cranked up for contemplation, Berkebile says. "They're faster paced. Hard chargers. Type A's. They're more interested in better cars and better clothing. They're entrepreneurs, CEO types."

Not all of us!;)

RedPop4

One Too Many
I disagreed a bit with that assertion, as well, Stan.

Frog is excellent......."On the Town" AND "On the Bayou." My buddy and I share tins of tobacco, and those are top notch.

I JUST realized, I'm such a dumba$$, that this article is now two years old.

Those of you who like cigars and pipes, especially, should really be concerned with an amendment that was scheduled for mark-up yesterday.

This is from a post on Cigar Weekly by Mr. Lew Rothman, president of JR Cigars.
“The Senate Finance Committee has scheduled a markup on Tuesday, July 17 on legislation dealing with the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The measure is expected to be reported out of committee. Funding would be almost totally via higher taxes on tobacco products. The cigarette tax will increase by $.61 to $1 per pack effective after December 31, 2007. Other tobacco products would be taxed as follows:

large cigars -- 53.13% of mfr's or importer's sales price but not more than $10.00 per cigar.”

In addition, there will be a floor stocks tax on tobacco products manufactured in the U.S. or imported into the U.S, which are removed before January 1, 2008 and held on that date for sale. The person holding the product on January 1, 2008 is liable for the tax to be paid on or before April 1, 2008.

YES ! You read that right ! $10.00 PER CIGAR, plus whatever your local state tax is. The people in Washington have absolutely no clue about the cigar business. Their sole focus is on cigarettes and we are about to get dragged along with it.

Not only will this put virtually every manufacturer, wholesaler, and retaailer out of business. It will also devastate the economy of Nicaragua, Honduras, The Dominican Republic and have a significant impact on Puerto Rico, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Panama, Brasil, and Peru. (Whereupon, I’m sure the USA will be called upon to provide additional relief funding !).

You and everyone else who has any thoughts about continuing to smoke cigars or grow, sort, manufacture, distribute or retail cigars need to make a concerted phone, mail, and e-mail bombardment of Congress very shortly. Hopefully, someone more adept at interpreting this new tax law will supply the proper language for this protest.

Be ready and be vocal, and be outraged because this tax is definitely outrageous. It is my firm belief that if passed as it stands right now the entire industry will collapse prior to April 1,2008 (appropriately named April Fools Day for the Fools we have running the government right now) because no one will have the finances to pay the tax on their inventory.

I realize I post this late, but you can still register your discontent if you're so inclined.

Bartenders, my apologies for posting this, but as a lover of the leaf, I believe it's important that like-minded folk be informed. Thank you.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Sad, though these are the times in which we live.
At least they havn't raised the price on Kettle Corn... YET!
l_e57964f1dc8de7040bbdd60c9a9e9796.jpg

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Well, this thread inspired me to get a pipe (pictures forthcoming). Does anyone have any tips on packing the bowl? The gentleman at the smoke shoppe said that packing will be crucial to an enjoyable experience and that it will take much practice.

Regards,

Matt

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Matt Noir said:
Well, this thread inspired me to get a pipe (pictures forthcoming). Does anyone have any tips on packing the bowl? The gentleman at the smoke shoppe said that packing will be crucial to an enjoyable experience and that it will take much practice.

Regards,

Matt

I fill the bowl in three stages. First, trickle in enough tobacco to fill the bowl, and pack it very lightly--if at all. Second, take a big pinch and stuff it into the bowl, pushing it down and packing it with moderate firmness. Last, take another pinch and pack it in pretty firmly. All the while, puff on the stem to make sure you still get a good draw through the pipe.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Well, I smoked my first bowl of proper leaf tonight - and it was very enjoyable. It will only be a special treat - maybe once a week or when the occasion calls (maybe less during the summer months as I will only smoke out of doors and it is currently 97 with severe humidity).

As for the pipe and leaf - I found a wonderful smoke shop here in town that only does cigars and pipes. The salesman was very helpful. I gave him my budget and asked that he recommend some things within that budget.

I wound up choosing a handmade briar Nording Ocaso. There were so many wonderful looking pipes that I was having a hard time making up my mind! I can see how people would collect these things - some are true works of art.

I asked for recommendations for leaf and I wound up leaving with two tins.

One tin of G.L. Pease Blackpoint:

Blackpoint is a luxurious blend of red and lemon Virginias, Cyprian Latakia, exotic oriental tobaccos, and a perfect measure of Louisiana perique for a lively, piquant finish. The smoke is creamy and lingering, engaging the palate with a mouth-filling array of wonderful flavours. Reminiscent of raisins and stewed figs, fireplaces in the fall, walks in the forest... Perhaps the most complex in the collection. Perfect for evenings.

And one tin of McClelland Best of Show - an aromatic with a sweet, nougaty flavor and aroma. This is the one I tried tonight. I did have to let it dry for a little bit before putting it in the bowl - it was very moist.

I am looking forward to trying different varieties. And I am already looking forward to getting another pipe. Joy of joys - bitten by another collecting bug!

Anyone have any leaf recommendations?

Oh, I also bought a lighter - nothing too fancy - it gets the job done.

DSCF1849.JPG

DSCF1850.JPG

DSCF1853.JPG

DSCF1854.JPG

Regards,

Matt

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Matt Noir said:
Well, I smoked my first bowl of proper leaf tonight - and it was very enjoyable. It will only be a special treat - maybe once a week or when the occasion calls (maybe less during the summer months as I will only smoke out of doors and it is currently 97 with severe humidity).

One tin of G.L. Pease Blackpoint:

And one tin of McClelland Best of Show

Anyone have any leaf recommendations?

Regards,

Matt

Welcome to the club, Matt. I've had a pipe in my craw for 10 years or so now. Rarely without one.

GL Pease tobaccos are brilliantly blended. Taste really good. My only fault with them is the price. They've come down a bit lately though. Didn't care for Best In Show, but then again I never really did find a liking to the sweet aromatics. Now that you've got a english blend (with latakia ... deep smokey taste) and an aromatic ... I think you should also try a virginia (pretty much straight virginia leaf, often pressed into flake form) like Gawith Full Virginia Flake and would also suggest a non-aromatic burley blend (what most of our grandpas used to smoke) like Half & Half or Barking Dog.

And you made a good choice on the pipe. Nordings are very well made. Can I suggest you pick up a few corn cobs too? I know, I know. Some really think they look hokey, but they smoke very cool and are great for trying out varieties that you may not want leaving ghosts in your best pipes.

Richard

RedPop4

One Too Many
I've been to that forum a time or two. Over at Cigar Weekly we have a pipe room with a few members, but they're solid guys. I've had that SG Virginia full flake, it's hard to work with, though, almost like beef jerky.

The classic Virginia, that you'll find in almost every shop somehow or other is 5100 or RedCake. It's a really nice daily sort of smoke.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Hi Richard. I've been noticing your image here on the Fedora Lounge. I was going to invite the good folks here to Smokers' Forums but it appears you have beat me to it:eusa_clap

I am a true fan of the briar. I limit myself to just one bowl per night, but I find that I am buying pipes with bigger and bigger bowlslol

I

RedPop4

One Too Many
I smoke small pipes and I'll have two or three bowls when I do smoke. Now that's often only one or two nights per week. But, then, I alternate between cigars and pipes.

My prize pipe is one Warbird, of this forum, gave to me a couple years ago. It was a Kaywoodie with a screw in stem, that his uncle had smoked all through WW II the big one. It's my favorite, now, and smokes like a dream.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I had a nice smoke of Three Nuns last night (the Danish one - can you still get the original English Three Nuns?).

Was a tad chilly last night and sitting out on the veranda with the pipe was nice and relaxing.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Matt, your Nording purchase is excellent. I own two and they are, by far, my favorites.

Just waiting to get my hands on a Dunhill...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Gaige said:
Just waiting to get my hands on a Dunhill...

I had some Dunhill Royal Yacht once Gaige which was a mighty good smoke.

EDIT: Oops you meant the pipes :eusa_doh: (late at night when I wrote that)

But the tobacco is very good as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy