Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outgoing Message for Voice Mail

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I've been using this for quite a while...

You've reached Fred and Helen. We're in town but can't come to the phone right now. Leave your name and number -- and repeat your number twice -- and we'll call you back someday soon.

I hate it when the dolt on the other end mumbles their number!

And, of course, I change it when we're NOT in town.

DerMann

Practically Family
Luckily most of my friends don't leave messages.

It is a well accepted male rule that one never leaves messages when calling a friend. Instead, the method known as "carpet calling" is called (similar to the US method of strategic bombing in WWII). Eventually, one of the calls will get through. If one does leave a message it should be short and have no meaning, such as, "Where the heck are you?" No names, numbers, times, etc... And this message should be left only after the tenth call.

Seems to work for me :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
DerMann said:
Luckily most of my friends don't leave messages.

It is a well accepted male rule that one never leaves messages when calling a friend. Instead, the method known as "carpet calling" is called (similar to the US method of strategic bombing in WWII). Eventually, one of the calls will get through. If one does leave a message it should be short and have no meaning, such as, "Where the heck are you?" No names, numbers, times, etc... And this message should be left only after the tenth call.

Seems to work for me :D

Somebody was doing that to me a few years ago. Except, I was home, and he didn't say anything.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
Somebody was doing that to me a few years ago. Except, I was home, and he didn't say anything.

That's just CREEPY. You should notify your telephone company as well as the local police when something like that continues to occur.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
That's just CREEPY. You should notify your telephone company as well as the local police when something like that continues to occur.

One day, I just took the phone off the hook and went out. That was the end of that.

Diamondback said:
Depends on if the phone antics are a prelude to "for-real", and letting Senor Shotgun do the speaking tells them upfront that "the Welcoming Committee is waiting for you..."

Then again, I'm the kind who if not expecting company might answer the door with a .45 stuck in his waistband.

Having one about "please stay on the line while we trace your call" might help, too...lol

Geez, remind me not to come over unannounced. :eek: :p
I get rid of such nuisance callers by answering the phone: "Hello, Oakland Police Department, Sargent Burris speaking." Most of the time they hang up and don't call again. ;)
Then there is the "Alameda County Morgue, you stab 'em we slab 'em." for the just plain pain int he neck caller. :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Obviously you have never been on the phone with the wrong kind of person. :eek: :eusa_doh: :p

I attract the wrong kind of people like flies. I've had to have an unlisted phone number since I was about 14. I might never have the satisfaction of delivering a kick in the pants, but I won't inspire one, either.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
How does this thread about outgoing voice messages keep turning violent? :eusa_doh:

I stick to my position that there's nothing more that a caller can do than annoy me. And if I take the phone off the hook, or use caller ID, he can't even do that. Oh, I suppose he could stay on the line and say naughty things, but that's more lame than threatening. Actual threats? Nobody's gunning for me, but if they were, why would they warn me about it? As I see it, the most dangerous thing someone can do with a phone (besides make a bomb out of it) is smack you over the head with it.

Paisley, you're also assuming everyone you deal with is sane and rational. (Well, the two aren't totally linked, please remember there are a few of the former among the 'good guys'...) Repeated calling is one of the tricks dirtbags are known to use when casing a house, to see if anyone's home...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner