Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outgoing Message for Voice Mail

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
True. But I'm not worried about being burglarized. (Of course it's possible--the previous owners were hit twice, but I think they were careless.) My house and belongings (mid-90s estate sale furniture, mostly) are insured. I can't think of any reason a burglar would case my house in particular: a two-bedroom bungalow that's small even for the neighborhood, and no display of anything expensive. The previous owners had a lot of "toys" like ATVs that they stored in the back yard, visible from the alley. Now, there's a six-foot picket fence and an eight-foot rose bush back there. No toys. Oh, and my sweet dog has a big, tough bark.

And not every weird guy is violent. A few years ago, someone tried to camp out on my front porch. I told him to move one, and he politely refused. The police took him away without incident; I think he was just very confused.

Not everyone is sane and rational by my standards, but yes, I do understand the desire to threaten and intimidate and annoy someone. And that's what weird phone calls are about. If someone does enter my house without my permission, yes, he could very likely find himself looking down the barrel of a gun.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
A friend of mine has the typical voice mail message on his phone... BUT has calypso music playing in the background causing one to think that he is having a better time then they are.

Matt

59Lark

Practically Family
wow, phone violence

I guess that this modern age, that if there is phone sex, then there can be phone violence. The one threat that i always was tempted to use on phone soliciters was getting a marine canned air horn and deafening the really bad phone solicitors but I always stopped myself from purchasing one so they are safe for now. The talk of shooting phone callers and gun cleaning must be signs of a warped society time to call dr phil. He could have a two part show on that, now when i was a child we had a party line and the most dangerous thing that one could do was discuss a personal subject on the phone and have the neighbours all know that subject within days. I wish to take this forum for the way paisley intended a classy forum meant to inspire us to class up our boring answering machines and inspire our friends and neighbours to be entertained by our sense of style. I have a radio ad for studebakers cars back when my lark 8 was made should record that ad on our home machine. 59 LARK.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
A friend has this on his machine;

You have reached the Sears Vinyl Siding Division please give our salespeople your full cooperation when they come to your home because remember it was YOU who called US.

Matt

P.S. To make it funnier that is on the voice mail system for his cabin aboard the M/V Africa Mercy in Liberia at the time!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Music for a business phone

My best friend teaches laughter yoga and her outgoing message is her laughing and laughing, and then, "Leave a message."

Perhaps a good outgoing message for a business that deals with professionals would be something with no vocals, no screaming horns or drum solos a la Gene Krupa, just something upbeat and happy. I'm thinking Count Basie. I think you can be so professional that you're dull and interchangeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner