Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Over the top at the royal wedding

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I looked up the RAF dress uniforms quickly, but they're not a Scots Guard or Royal Navy uniform. I think that William would have preferred to wear RAF since that's where he's serving, but the uniforms aren't the best. The Royal Navy uniforms are probably the UK's best, very traditional, basic, everyone in the Navy wears the same one. The UK Army's uniforms are generally good, but are all over the place, different regiments have completely different traditions. The RAF (and for that matter the USAF) uniforms of Sky blue just don't look tough enough.

Later

Edward

Bartender
"Tough" is not the adjective I would have applied to what he did wear! I suppose if aesthetics were all that counted, it is much flashier than the RAF dress. I actually think he might have looked better in morning dress (as did his father at his second wedding), but that's aesthetics again.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Those red tunics carry such irony. The color originally came from the Round Head army during the English Civil Wars. The red material was the cheapest to be found, so they used it. It has gone on the be one of the greatest symbols of the British Empire. The other thought I had was that the red is simply much more visible than the blue. No question at a distance who you're seeing.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Me likey some Pippa. Best thing to come out of this wedding.

And Princess Maxima was darling. I've had a crush on her for years. I'd like to think that was my arm she was on. :eek:

042911-princess-maxima-383x500.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Tough" is not the adjective I would have applied to what he did wear! I suppose if aesthetics were all that counted, it is much flashier than the RAF dress. I actually think he might have looked better in morning dress (as did his father at his second wedding), but that's aesthetics again.

Hi Edward

I agree that Tough isn't the correct word, but I didn't have a better one. The RAF / USAF color scheme isn't something a fighter would wear though. On the other hand, one of my new, but promising shooters wears a "real men wear pink" shirt to shoot in. The red coat is a good looking uniform.

Later

Edward

Bartender
Jinkies, I've not kept up with Disney for years, so when they said it looked Disney I didn't realise just how much so! I'm not a fan of the blue sash (though obviously I know it's part of the uniform of whatever his honourary rank is in the Guards - Colonel? - and it carries his RAF wings), I think it would have looked much better without it.

^^
Who would have thought that even with the Royals life imitates art lol

I believe that the blue sash signifies that the wearer has been invested with the Order of the Garter.

Last edited:

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
I'm going to a wedding this weekend and stumbled upon this thread as I was searching for ideas for something to wear. I'm so glad that I did; my goodness you guys are hilarious! My sides ache from laughing so much!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner