Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overdressed for a funeral

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
I've also noticed that the amount of flowers at funerals have dropped off markedly. You used to go to a funeral and there would be a wall of flowers around the coffin. Now there's just a couple dislays. There were so many flowers at funerals in the past the funeral homes used to have flower cars, El Camino styled cars to carry all the flowers behind the hearst. I haven't see that in a long time.

Never noticed; Jewish funerals aren't big on flowers. My grandmother would cock an eyebrow if she saw too many bouquets.

-Viola

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
It depends

My father died back in 1996, and he was a school principal, very popular in the community. Over 1200 people came during calling hours. Certain things struck me about the way people dressed. People who were in the business world dressed like they would for work. Kids who came to the hours went out of their way to dress up, which was touching. A goupr of older (high school) students and thie coach came by on their way home from a tack meet, all in their track uniforms and sweats, and we didn't blink an eye at how they were dressed. their attendence was all that mattered. When the superintendent walking in in khakis and a casual shirt, I was immediately offended, even though he'd come right after the track team. I think it's about the person and their ability to dress for the occassion. The track team honored my father with their attendence. the superintendent disrespected my father and us by not bothering to dress for something he was expected to attend.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Lincsong said:
I thought red was the color of the money envelopes you got at a Chinese funeral.

Red money envelopes are not, to my knowledge, dispensed at funerals. Paper money ingots are often burned, however.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I've never heard of that before either. Actually it is the opposite.

About a year ago someone I'd never met (or even heard of, actually) from my work's husband died and they took up a collection. I'd never heard of that before. One thing bugged me about it though, they were saying how they had kids and they were going to be destitute without their father. I didn't say anything, but I was thinking, come on, the kids get social security benefits until they are at least 18 (well, unless dad was an illegal or something) I pay how many thousands a year in SSI to support these orphans? No one took up a collection for me when my dad died. I was sort of wondering if they were going to do a money dance at the wake too.

Anyway, speaking of my dad, the men in my family wore black or charcoal suits at his funeral. The worst thing I saw was a too bright blue tie. I wouldn't say that any of the men were overdressed. The young boys wore dark shirts, but considering these days that most people won't let children own anything black (the complete aversion to which I find kind of strange myself), I guess I can't complain too much.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Unless it was a close personal friend I wouldn't take up/give to a collection. Usually for family I slip $20-$50 into the envelop just because the burial, coffin and such runs $5,000 plus. Then there's usually the luncheon afterwards, 100 plus people and that can be costly.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Tourbillion said:
I've never heard of that before either. Actually it is the opposite.

About a year ago someone I'd never met (or even heard of, actually) from my work's husband died and they took up a collection. I'd never heard of that before. One thing bugged me about it though, they were saying how they had kids and they were going to be destitute without their father. I didn't say anything, but I was thinking, come on, the kids get social security benefits until they are at least 18 (well, unless dad was an illegal or something) I pay how many thousands a year in SSI to support these orphans? No one took up a collection for me when my dad died. I was sort of wondering if they were going to do a money dance at the wake too.

Anyway, speaking of my dad, the men in my family wore black or charcoal suits at his funeral. The worst thing I saw was a too bright blue tie. I wouldn't say that any of the men were overdressed. The young boys wore dark shirts, but considering these days that most people won't let children own anything black (the complete aversion to which I find kind of strange myself), I guess I can't complain too much.

Seems like there used to be a collection every other month at work: someone getting married, having a baby, graduating, etc. I've never liked the practice.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'd rather leave my guns to relatives. My brother would be SO MAD if I got interred with them.

-Viola

Jovan

Suspended
In answer to Jack's original question: Nope. I've worn that exact outfit for a funeral, with no angry stares from anyone. Besides, Danielle would have appreciated my gesture of respect, I think.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Senator Jack said:
I'm trying to figure out how to crash a funeral.

How big? Like a wedding, the key is having everyone think you're with someone else.

That and garnering a few facts about the deceased, if you're lucky, they'll have some kind of memory board or photo album to get places, dates and interests.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
I'm trying to figure out how to crash a funeral.

Well, if it's an Italian funeral you could just show up and possibly run into someone you know or to whom you are related.lol Then there's the just show up thing and sit quietly in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails