Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overdressed for a funeral

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
I would wear something somber, but I wouldn't wear all black, necessarily. And I definitely wouldn't use a funeral as a place to wear a dramatic hat with a veil on it.

Just something quiet and dark and relatively innocuous. Its not about me, you know?

-Viola

Hm, I would think that wearing a black hat and veil would be appropriate at a funeral. At least for the family of the deceased.

As for a wedding, what is appropriate depends on many factors - season, time of day, what it says on the invite. It is NEVER appropriate for a female attendee to wear a white dress to a wedding. Hopefully this doesn't have to be said! (Someone is going to contradict me I just know it.)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
No black dresses at wedding either, I believe.

For funerals, being low-key and appropriately somber is key. It's not the place for spectator shoes or a big flashy handkerchief.

But what of hats? If people are used to seeing you in hats, it should not be a question. But always gray or black, i should think, right? And of course it comes off the head the minute you enter the funeral establishment, at graveside (at least while any prayers are said), any time the casket passes.

Look neat, and respectful of the deceased and mourning family.

We could actually do a whole thread on proper behavior at funerals I think.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
BellyTank said:
Maybe substitute RED in that rule, if you're in China or India...

B
T

Yes. We've covered WASP funeral attire. Not what of a Jewish funeral? Or Asian? What is proper for an African-American funeral?

griffer

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Yes. We've covered WASP funeral attire. Not what of a Jewish funeral? Or Asian? What is proper for an African-American funeral?

Oop. My head just assploded.

God bless protocol officers.

(Lord knows I would NEVER wear a black dress to a wedding.)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
My strange and unique family religion and cultural group wears white to funerals.....not uncommon in some other places....

I've heard that is the color of mourning in China.

I think the important thing to remember is not to appear somber at a wedding, nor glib at a funeral.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:

Jewish - you can keep the hat on, and/or wear a kippah, color-coordination optional.

-Viola

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Wearing a white wedding dress is a fairly recent convention (started by Queen Victoria), as is the diamond engagement ring/wedding ring.

Brides used to just wear their best dress--not a bad tradition. Now the bridal gown is a costume in an off-Broadway production.

BTW, white symbolizes lack of experience in marriage. What did you think?

jamespowers said:
I don't think the color red in a wedding dress would do much to convey that purity and innocence illusion. ;)

Regards,

J

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Brides used to just wear their best dress--not a bad tradition. Now the bridal gown is a costume in an off-Broadway production.

Well, I don't think I'd want a hugely expensive dress, but I'd like something a little bit more glam than my usual nice dress, personally.

-Viola

Paisley said:

Yeah. Sure, that works for me too. :p
I think the dress has more meaning now considering that some use their mother's dress. It is also about some pomp and circumstance to celebrate the occasion. I suppose it also depends on what your budget is---probably most important.:eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Paisley said:

Checking around, you sure about that?
http://www.fromtimespast.com/wedding.htm

"In Godey’s Lady’s Book, 1849, this statement was printed: “ Custom has decided, from the earliest ages, that white is the most fitting hue, whatever may be the material. It is an emblem of the purity and innocence of girlhood, and the unsullied heart she now yields to the chosen one.”"

As for other colors a sort of funny poem:
“Married in white, you will have chosen all right. Married in grey , you will go far away. Married in black, you will wish yourself back. Married in red, you’ll wish yourself dead. Married in blue, you will always be true. Married in pearl, you’ll live in a whirl. Married in green, ashamed to be seen, Married in yellow, ashamed of the fellow. Married in brown, you’ll live out of town. Married in pink, your spirits will sink.”

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails