Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oviatt's Trenchcoat

GWD

One Too Many
I just picked this up on ebay. I usually don't "buy it now" but I figured I would never find a coat made like this for under $200.00.

I would post the pictures but I can't cut and paste them.

Marc, I would love to hear from you on this because you are the Oviatt's Historian.

I would love some guesses on the age of this too.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Difficult to date with great accuracy.

This type of silk label was sewn onto Oviatt's overcoats from 1934 to 1959. Judging by the cut and details of the coat, I'd say that it's from the early '50s. Very 'fashion forward' for its day, BTW.

GWD

One Too Many
Arrived today! It's like brand new, with one exception, the buckle is missing from the belt. No tags that indicate a date. The size is a bit big without wearing a suit jacket, but with a jacket it's perfect!!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Arrived today! It's like brand new, with one exception, the buckle is missing from the belt. No tags that indicate a date. The size is a bit big without wearing a suit jacket, but with a jacket it's perfect!!

web.jpg

Man, that thing is BUILT! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

GWD

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
GWD, have you thoroughly checked inside the inner pockets (if any) for a store label? There might be a date on it.

Engineered? Not surprising. Back when it was made, that coat probably sold for nearly a thousand of our 2010 dollars.

There is one interior pocket, but no tag. :(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Either have the buckle end of the belt fashioned/tailored to resemble the pointy end, and simply tie the belt closed; Or, start buckle huntin'. ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gary, re: Belt Buckle

You can buy online some nice 'leather' covered & stitched belt buckles (like the ones Burberry and Aquascutum use).

Try these guys.

http://www.kleins.co.uk/leather-buckles-486-p.asp

ALSO...

Welcome to windsorbutton.com!
Since 1936, Windsor Button has been providing consumers in the Boston area with an outstanding selection of quality buttons, sewing and craft notions. We carry the largest assortment of buttons in the northeast, including selections from all over the world. Our extensive line of notions ranges from basic to specialty items.

We have added a full yarn department including basic to novelty yarn, as well as knitting needles, books, patterns, and accessories.

Address:
35 Temple Place
Boston, MA 02111

Phone:
617-482-4969

GWD

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
hmmmm you sure its missing...? I look at that and see that it -might- well just pull through that loop and then get tucked into the other belt loops along the side (if its actually that long)

I was thinking the same thing, but, it's not that long, in fact it's pretty short. The end of the belt is looped over and stitched, like it's meant to have a buckle there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner