Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P37 Canteen Stopper

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Folks, I just dug this out of the barn:

Home_Office013.jpg

It was sold to me as unissued, and that may very well be correct. Nevertheless, it's sixty some years old and the stopper is a little... erm... gross. The nut is rusty and there appears to be some cork rot. I'd like to replace the stopper and it appears that I can just unscrew the nut, clean it up, slide the cork off the stud, slot on a new cork and be done.

Anyone done this? Tips on where to find a replacement cork? I'd like to start using this thing.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
This might sound silly but... can you use a cork from a wine bottle?
The size looks similar.

I was thinking so, are they a standard size? I'm not really a wine drinker, but I'd be glad to make the sacrifice for the furtherment of my canteen project.

BTW, this all came about because my wife has decided we need to 86 the plastic nalgene bottles due to the BPA. Kind of a blessing in disguise as I'd always preferred canteens anyway.

-Dave

Naphtali

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
Folks, I just dug this out of the barn: . . . Tips on where to find a replacement cork? I'd like to start using this thing.

-Dave
If results rather than Fedora Lounge Correctness is your goal, either mic the ID of canteen's neck and contact [or take it in person to] a laboratory supply shop. Ask for a stopper appropriate for the ID of neck. Pay the man. Use it in good health.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hopefully and logically, a new, purpose-made replacement for that water bottle, from WPG would be the ideal solution and yield the best results-
considering you get the cork and the hardware for the grand total of $3.
Mail order. No leg work. No Lab work.

I need one too.

B
T

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
a new, purpose-made replacement for that water bottle, from WPG would be the ideal solution and yield the best results-
considering you get the cork and the hardware for the grand total of $3.
Mail order. No leg work. No Lab work.

True, but I just checked and the minimum order from WPG is $12.00. Not that I couldn't spend hundreds of dollars there easily, but for my immediate purposes I might try salvaging my existing hardware and just replacing the cork.

That is - unless someone is about to place an order and wants to tack that on for me. I'd be glad to pay them back, of course.

-Dave

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Vulcano... Kelly..?

Maybe we should put in with David and get extra corks for our bottles.
I already have a brown mug but hmmm... maybe a white one.

B
T

Kelly is cheapest I think.

See if we get discount on a bulk cork order...

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Check a real hardware store for corks. The kind that carries manila rope, metal wash basins, rabbit traps and wooden step ladders. The kind with a mile long aisle of every imaginable screw and fastener AND a person who knows exactly where the watchamacalit doohicky your describing is located. I know of two such stores. One just south of Annapolis MD and another in Easton MD.

Matt

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I've seen replacement corks of many sizes in the fasteners section at my local Ace hardware.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I have a couple of "water bottles" myself also unissued. The rusty nut is the least of my worries with those. Like all vintage canteens I am more concerned with the lining. I've seen some nasty calcium deposits in some of my metal ones. The british one you have is enamel coated so it's OK just rinse them out real good. A Civil War re-enactor told me once they line theirs with Bees Wax to offset the nasty taste. It is interesting to note in WWII America dabbled with the plastic canteen. These weren't standardized until some 20 years later.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Vornholt said:
I've seen replacement corks of many sizes in the fasteners section at my local Ace hardware.

Ah the Ace Hardware. Outside of the old time locally owned not affiliated with anybody stores I've found the staff at Ace to be the most knowledgeable of their products too. If you ask an Ace employee for a cork, he/she will find you the corks. Ask a Home Despot one and your more likely to be shown a wine rack.

Matt

Concrete Jungle

New in Town
I'm also with the cork from Ace hardware idea. But yet, a 60+ year old, unissued canteen, like that nice one you have doesn't come around all that often. Are you sure you want to start using that piece of history?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Concrete Jungle said:
I'm also with the cork from Ace hardware idea. But yet, a 60+ year old, unissued canteen, like that nice one you have doesn't come around all that often. Are you sure you want to start using that piece of history?

You know, I've been thinking about this for a couple days and I guess I'm not bothered by the idea of putting this canteen into service. There are lots and lots of them around and not much demand for them. I feel differently about rarer and less durable objects like uniform pieces than I do about web gear. There's little to fail on a piece of web gear aside from stitching and that can be redone. Further, my adventures aren't nearly strenuous enough to possibly damage this piece.

However, perhaps now I'll keep my eyes peeled for one to preserve whilest using this one.

-Dave

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I merrily use a 1944 and a 1917 dated canteen whenever its handy. I don't use the associated pouches because the pouches are getting dry and delicate but the aluminum canteen isn't going to rot anytime soon.

Matt

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
I was in the Army from 1953 - 1956 and the kid with the cot next to mine had a canteen from 1917. That was the only time I had a canteen and I don't remember anything about mine.

What I do remember vividly was that all the C-rations that we had while I was serving were date stamped 1944. They must have made tons of the things that year.

I always wondered when they finally ran out, but have never found out.

Cheers, Jim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou