Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paddy's Cap

otterhound

One of the Regulars
What kind of cap is Paddy wearing in this picture? I want one!
Pre-warA2jacket.jpg

Cap o the mornin'

Cool cap! It is remeniscent of a sea cap but also seems a lot like a "working man's" cap you would see in Europe up to maybe the 60's or 70's. This is the sort of cap the milkman wore for deliveries although his might be white. A luggage handler for the train station. Again a delivery man's cap maybe.

best wishes!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Look in the WWII section here, there are numerous links to kit suppliers.

But I'd wear a disguise before I went poking around in Paddy's domain after calling his crusher a milk delivery cap! :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paddy's 'milk run!'

I guess you must have caught me on my 'milk run' over Bremen when I was sporting the 'crusher!' So maybe the 'milk-man' analogy wasn't so far off after all [huh] :)

nightandthecity

Practically Family
To be fair...

...to them that didn't realize it was a crusher, some purpose-built-ready-to-wear crushers do look more military than others. If I'm not much mistaken (and it could be the photo) it looks like one with a very low crown. I have only ever had a couple of those through my hands, though maybe they are repro-ed nowadays.

I wish I'd kept at least one of them. Take off the badge and they simply don't look like a military cap at all, more like the sort of period work cap favoured (in Europe anyway) by bargees and sailors. Which of course was the point. A lot of AAF guys put a lot of effort into looking as non-military as they could get away with (I've even had tunics that were zoot suited, but that's another story...!)

Most purpose built crushers I've seen still had the high crown, and the difference that extra bit of cloth makes is amazing, even without the stiffener.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff