Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pajamas in public...

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Isn’t spending time worrying about what you’ll wear an even bigger distraction from academics?"

:eusa_doh:

This is part of the same pervasive attitude that has been sneaking in along with the, "Damn the man," and, "I do wat I want cuz Im an adult," mantras.

Spending time in the morning worrying about appearances is no more a distraction than spending time worrying about breakfast, brushing teeth and lacing shoes. But I guess that puts me in the "whole lot of silly and just-plain-mean people" category.

To make matters worse, we have attention-starved blowhards like Michael Williams who try to garner media notoriety by bringing "awareness" to a pathetic non-issue (i.e. in the political arena).

As noted in the Dress Code thread, there should be some kind of public shaming for these people. Sure, wear whatever you want wherever you want - just don't be aghast when the public treats you like a pariah. [huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was a senior in high school the class wiseguy showed up for home room one morning in his pajamas, bathrobe, and slippers, carrying a bottle of milk and a box of Sugar Smacks -- and he then proceeded to pour the milk into the cereal box and eat a very sloppy breakfast as the teacher went apoplectic.

Apparently this was his idea of a end-of-the-semester stunt, and it got him suspended for a week -- and he wasn't allowed to march with the class at graduation.

Today he'd probably be praised for his creativity and elected student body president.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Idina (Aka - Nancy Mitfords' 'The Bolter') and husband Earl Josslyn Hay, on the Riviera 1923.

browning-190.jpg

It was quite the fashion, for the gentleman about town, to sport pyjamas.

Sorry to veer slightly off topic, but i adore this photo. Perhaps the only acceptable way for one to wear pyjamas in public, aside from perhaps a la zombie.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...Today he'd probably be praised for his creativity and elected student body president.

Naw, that would be too square for an obnoxious brat like him.

He'd be scolded sternly by the teacher, allowed to finish class and then sent home to change. Then his parents' team of lawyers would sue the school blind, they'd settle out of court and he'd go on to college with a new silver spoon for his mouth.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Idina (Aka - Nancy Mitfords' 'The Bolter') and husband Earl Josslyn Hay, on the Riviera 1923.

browning-190.jpg

It was quite the fashion, for the gentleman about town, to sport pyjamas.

Sorry to veer slightly off topic, but i adore this photo. Perhaps the only acceptable way for one to wear pyjamas in public, aside from perhaps a la zombie.

That is true, thank you for that Miss sofia! :) I was about to post that same photo, and that simply shows that there is nothing that has not been done before nothing new under the sun really.... nothing!

If I may .... here is the same photo it made it to the cover of "Tatler" it was apparently taken in the South of France year 1922 or 1923

tumblr_kyx08nKRUK1qaz5lh.jpg

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Mmm, yes, I'm all for beach and leisurewear pyjamas!! I love that picture.

It has just struck me that one reason I'd never like to wear my nightdress in public is that pajamas are supposed to be a treat. To wear my supremely cozy flannels or silk nightgowns around town would be like eating dessert at every meal, and would diminish the pleasure of slipping into them after a long day in heels and close-fitting tailored garb. Of course, this is a somewhat moot point when you consider that many contemporary garments are designed to be just as comfortable as pajamas, but still worth considering.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
For that matter, there's probably a whole lot of things that people can get away with at well-known Italian resorts that aren't appropriate for the middle of Main Street.

That is very true Lizzie, but the thing with Lady Idina and Josslyn Hay, 22nd Earl of Erroll, is that they wore pajamas in Kenya and Uganda too ;) as members of the Happy Valley set .... they just took a liking to pajamas .... [huh]:D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You'll note that they're both walking barefoot. They seem to be on the beach. I would imagine they wore street clothes to the beach, changed in one of those little cabanas that were found at all beaches in those days, and had light clothes over their swim suits. Then they changed back into street clothes to leave the beach. That's how people did it in those days. You could get arrested for wearing a bathing suit away from the water.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
You'll note that they're both walking barefoot. They seem to be on the beach. I would imagine they wore street clothes to the beach, changed in one of those little cabanas that were found at all beaches in those days, and had light clothes over their swim suits. Then they changed back into street clothes to leave the beach. That's how people did it in those days. You could get arrested for wearing a bathing suit away from the water.

We can speculate of course ... but as I said before, they were known for wearing pajamas not only in the Riviera but in Kenya too ... [huh] this habit of them and all their group of friends I must add , was very well known, not just one flash in the pan so to speak!

Edward

Bartender
For that matter, there's probably a whole lot of things that people can get away with at well-known Italian resorts that aren't appropriate for the middle of Main Street.

[video=youtube;vOgyq3opK5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOgyq3opK5k[/video]

rue

The writer is a complete jackass.

The pajama thing isn't news to me, but what is news is that people are really fighting to wear their pajamas out in public. Is this what the world has come to? Seriously? And people wonder why I wish there was a time machine. Hell... at this point I would settle for the 60s, the 70s or even the 80s, so I could at least go back to my early years. People have seriously lost their minds and all respect for themselves and the general public. I am disgusted.

Oh and it doesn't matter to me what famous eccentric people did in the golden era... my grandfather would have shot himself before wearing his pajamas in public as I'm sure most of the general public would have. Not to mention those PJs in that picture were probably made of silk and not flannel covered in filth and I'm sure they didn't wear them with gross animal face slippers covered with grime. It also looks to me like they brushed their hair, which apparently is a revelation to people these days.

Last edited:
These quotes from the article says it all: :rolleyes::(

"We ought to celebrate and encourage the daytime pajama trend as a progressive and egalitarian cultural development..."

"Insofar as they help us escape the constantly shifting mores of modern fashion, pajamas function as a great leveler—a way to bridge the gap between rich and poor, old and young, thin and fat. Perhaps nobody looks awesome in pajamas [He got that part right!], but nobody looks terrible either [I beg to differ, refer back to your first comment, Sunshine!]: You just look like you’re looking out for yourself."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points