Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pajamas in public...

Feraud

Bartender
I think that if people are upset about the PJs in public, you should make sure that they are not worn in your sphere of influence. If you are a business owner, or work in a business, encourage the company to have a minimal dress code for employees and customers alike. If you work in a federal or state building, have them institute a basic dress code (most governmental offices here have dress codes). As long as you are not discriminating against a protected class, there is nothing wrong with a minimal dress code. In fact, most places have them: "No shirt, no shoes, no service." Add sleepwear to that. You have the right to refuse service as a business owner- you could refuse service to all the fedora wearers or all the PJ wearers.

I think this is the best remedy and unfortunately where the greatest failure is occurring. Businesses, companies, schools, have their option to enforce a dress code. They have failed miserably in doing so.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think this is the best remedy and unfortunately where the greatest failure is occurring. Businesses, companies, schools, have their option to enforce a dress code. They have failed miserably in doing so.

I just don't understand why this is, except for the fact that people don't want to be tagged as the "meanies."

I have to follow the unwritten dress codes everyday of my professional life. I have yet to die because of it.

I just don't understand why this is, except for the fact that people don't want to be tagged as the "meanies."

I have to follow the unwritten dress codes everyday of my professional life. I have yet to die because of it.

It might kill them to actually try to look nice I suppose.:rolleyes:
I have heard dozens of excuses and none of them hold any water. No time? Make time, as my father used to say. The pajama sight pollution is not an option. It it no warmer than regular clothing that is for sure. Have you ever seen one of these pajama wearers in the snow? There might be some reason there. :p Skiing in pajamas? I don't think so. :rofl:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It might kill them to actually try to look nice I suppose.:rolleyes:
I have heard dozens of excuses and none of them hold any water. No time? Make time, as my father used to say. The pajama sight pollution is not an option. It it no warmer than regular clothing that is for sure. Have you ever seen one of these pajama wearers in the snow? There might be some reason there. :p Skiing in pajamas? I don't think so. :rofl:

I've seen flip flops in the snow. DEEP snow. Frostbite central. ;)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I've heard it said that one of the reasons for the rampant corruption and lack of ethics in the business world is that the "business casual" movement in the workplace has led to a "casual" and lackadaisical approach to ethics in business.

I think there can be a certain truth to that. There's a reason I wear a dark blue paramilitary uniform every day as a law enforcement officer, and why I pay attention to shiny boots and creased sleeves (and did so in the military as well). Clothes have a strong psychological effect on both the wearer and those around them, and real studies have dramatically shown that fact.

I've heard it said that one of the reasons for the rampant corruption and lack of ethics in the business world is that the "business casual" movement in the workplace has led to a "casual" and lackadaisical approach to ethics in business.

I think there can be a certain truth to that. There's a reason I wear a dark blue paramilitary uniform every day as a law enforcement officer, and why I pay attention to shiny boots and creased sleeves (and did so in the military as well). Clothes have a strong psychological effect on both the wearer and those around them, and real studies have dramatically shown that fact.

Thus the old phrase "disheveled looking---disheveled mind."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's a lot to be said for that view. I see our local cops schlepping around town in snap-back baseball caps, polo shirts with embroidered badges, and shorts, and they look like low-rent mall guards instead of proper policemen. It wasn't all that long ago that we had police with service caps with patent-leather visors, pleated uniforms, and white gloves in the street directing traffic -- and we had a whole lot less light-jumping and jaywalking, too.

Pompidou

One Too Many
On a private property basis, I'm all in favor of allowing each entity to set or not set dress codes. I think that none really do shows where the money is. After all, capitalism doesn't work for businesses that delude themselves. If it ever becomes profitable, dress codes will happen. In my own cafe, we don't have any just yet. If you're legal you're good.

On a private property basis, I'm all in favor of allowing each entity to set or not set dress codes. I think that none really do shows where the money is. After all, capitalism doesn't work for businesses that delude themselves. If it ever becomes profitable, dress codes will happen. In my own cafe, we don't have any just yet. If you're legal you're good.

And if they show up in pajamas and flip flops with long, unkempt hair and a Grizzly Adams beard?

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Saw something like this just yesterday. Me and a couple friends stopped someplace to get some food and I saw a girl wearing grey sweatpants with fuzzy black boots and a tank top. The whole outfit itself looked really bad but the legs on the sweatpants had been pulled up because of the heat so they were.....weird sweat shorts looking things. Certainly not something I'd be caught dead looking like!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

I do know that the author of "Dress for Success" found that giving Department Store security guards, a sportcoat made them more authoritarian. That turned out well. On the other hand, the politicians in Downtown Chicago (for example) dress pretty well, and steal everyone blind. If you look at pictures of any politician before 1980 (?) they're all dressed for success, but a good portion of them had both hands in the till.

I half agree with you... :D

Just my $0.02

I had a quick scan through the thread and I do not think anyone has meantioned that the 'Chap' has an opinon on this subject

http://thechap.net/content/section_news/?p=984

"I remember him cutting quite a dash, always very smartly turned out in pyjamas, slippers, dressing gown and cravat, enjoying his first pipe of the day."

Ok, I guess I could live with the guy in his silk pajamas like this but only in the early morning or late evening. This guy on the other hand....:

pyjamas2.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
There's a lot to be said for that view. I see our local cops schlepping around town in snap-back baseball caps, polo shirts with embroidered badges, and shorts, and they look like low-rent mall guards instead of proper policemen. It wasn't all that long ago that we had police with service caps with patent-leather visors, pleated uniforms, and white gloves in the street directing traffic -- and we had a whole lot less light-jumping and jaywalking, too.

The white gloves are way over the top for normal police work, but their utility in directing traffic is obvious, aside from being very smart looking.

I despise baseball caps with uniforms, unless they're baseball uniforms. I refuse to ever wear the duty baseball cap my agency issues, and unfortunately they recently changed the policy to disallow the forage cap with the duty uniform, otherwise I'd be wearing it any time I went outside. There was a time when it was mandatory! Some officers still remember.

Pompidou

One Too Many
And if they show up in pajamas and flip flops with long, unkempt hair and a Grizzly Adams beard?

If they do that, they're probably locals. Can't bite the hands that feed us. One of our goals was to open in a poor area and change it for the better. I personally always wear slacks with a dress shirt and my hat, and my main partner's a polo shirt and khakis kind of guy - none of the four of us would raise eyebrows from the membership here.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The last time I left the house in PJs was November 2007. I went to the doctor because of food poisioning. I wore PJ pants, a stained screen tee & harness boots.

I've gone down to the theatre in the middle of the night several times in my flannel nightgown and mangy corduroy bathrobe -- to deal with burglar alarms. Any burglar who sees me thus would be terrified immediately into surrendering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner