Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pal Joey

Roger

A-List Customer
Starring Rita Hayworth, Frank Sinatra and Kim Novak. I got it on DVD last week and it's really good. (Plus it has Portuguese subtitles and audio lol ), but that aside; the suits and hats are great and the character Joey has that certain smart alecky confidence and smoothness with the ladies that a lot a men envy. Who also likes this movie?

Roger

Hondo

One Too Many
Rita Hayworth

I got this a few years ago just to add to my Rita Hayworth collection, granted Sinatra always seemed the "smart aleck" ladies man type, I'm sure he had his share of face slaps! Still it was a good movie, Kim Novak was a charm, I love it ;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It was on TCM last night, too. I'd seen it a few months ago and enjoyed it. Wasn't completely thrilled with Hayworth's rendition of "Zip!" which leads me to believe the movie was changed in some ways from the Broadway show, which I haven't seen, but have heard the CD. But still, an enjoyable film.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
This was a good film. The Nelson Riddle arrangements were great. He probably altered Rita Hayworth's Zip number. She was 39 when she filmed this movie and she moved around a heck of a lot better than a lot of 30 something's I know.lol

It also was look back at a Bay Area that is long gone and never will return. The steam engines pulling into the West Oakland Station, the ferry ride to Frisco, the Barbary Coast/International Settlement, the High Society Parties with ladies in long gloves. Think; Phyliss Diller, Ronnie Schell, Bill Cosby and others performing at the Hungry i (now it's just a seedy bar). For those of us who have parents and relatives who remember that time it is a like a peek into a place we couldn't possibly recognize. Of course my family wasn't part of any High Society shindigs but I have an Uncle who was a lounge singer back then, and he used to tell us stories of Frisco in the late '50s early 60's.:D

Of course this is the movie with my favorite song; The Lady is a Tramp.;) That was a great sequence, especially that look on Rita Hayworth's face.:eek:

Yeah, Frankie had some pretty good lines in the film. Any guy who can make Rita Hayworth sing like that in the morning is MY HERO!!!!:D

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I never cared much for the film version, though the songs are great. Too bad they didn't make some kind of recording of the original 1938 Broadway production, which made the then-pre-Hollywood Gene Kelly a star!

Hondo

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
I never cared much for the film version, though the songs are great. Too bad they didn't make some kind of recording of the original 1938 Broadway production, which made the then-pre-Hollywood Gene Kelly a star!

Well Doc, think of it this way just as "Lincsong" mentioned, Golden era of the bay area, San Francisco/Oakland, if you know the bay area as I do, you recall most land marks, streets, wow those were the days, (I'm getting all misty) you may have something in the film versions songs, my hearing isn't what it used to be and I haven't heard the 1938 Broadway production, it must have been great!
It took a long time for me to appreciate Frank Sinatra, (The Lady is Tramp!) for that I am sorry for,I just wasn't around when he was at the heights of his career, I love Rita Hayworth just the way she is, regardless of age or faults.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hey, I'm certainly not old enough to have seen the original Broadway production either (apart from some brief amateur color film footage that appears in that big PBS documentary on Broadway from a couple of years ago) - but my gut feeling is that Kelly must have been showstopping in this role. (Nothing against Sinatra, who was a tremendous talent - but I can just *imagine* 30-year-old Kelly being better as Joey, managing to play both sleazy and charming at the same time with awesome grace and presence.)

I've visited San Francisco a couple of times and adored it, but sorry, I can't really get into the whole SF nostalgia aspect as being much of a reason to love the film... To me, this is one Rodgers & Hart show that is still waiting for a definitive film adapation.

Hondo

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Hey, I'm certainly not old enough to have seen the original Broadway production either (apart from some brief amateur color film footage that appears in that big PBS documentary on Broadway from a couple of years ago) - but my gut feeling is that Kelly must have been showstopping in this role. (Nothing against Sinatra, who was a tremendous talent - but I can just *imagine* 30-year-old Kelly being better as Joey, managing to play both sleazy and charming at the same time with awesome grace and presence.)

I've visited San Francisco a couple of times and adored it, but sorry, I can't really get into the whole SF nostalgia aspect as being much of a reason to love the film... To me, this is one Rodgers & Hart show that is still waiting for a definitive film adapation.

Great! it would have been a different touch/feel to "Pal Joey" with Gene Kelly, he was outstanding and no need to be sorry, I just grew up in the city in the early 60's, so much has changed since then, and not just this film but other films as well. It was just a wonderful era (sigh) but thats life, always changing.:)

Hondo

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Understood. I grew up in the 1960s just north of NYC, and visited the city very often, so I have equivalent memories of a Manhattan that's now vastly changed!

Exactly and thats my next destination, I've only been briefly to New Jersey/Manhattan/NY its a MUST to return, so much to see, Thanks:)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The Duke Fernando

In this movie, when I see the Barbary Coast owner, Mike, and his gravel voice and gruff exterior I think of the story of how my Uncle Herb got his "stage name" when he was a bouncer/singer in North Beach/International Settlement area in the late '50s and early '60s. He said that the manager at the saloon told him; "we can't tell people you're name is Herbie, no one will come into here to see a Herbie. Hmmmm let me see; you look like a Duke, or maybe a Fernando, yeah, that's it; we'll call you Duke Fernando"lol Uncle Duke was a huge Sinatra fan and the movie just brings back so many memories of my Uncle that I really enjoy watching it. I can picture him driving around there in his '61 T-Bird picking up platinum blondes. :D iHere's to you Herbie :cheers1: This movie really captures the pre-1967 Bay Area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy