Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pampering

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
Okay, 2009 - we are all tightening the belts, cutting back on spending unnecessarily, etc.

but here's a question for the ladies.. can be vintage (or other).. what are your simple luxuries that will become more near and dear to you through these times. Obviously, our greatest gifts are our husbands, significant others, children, etc., but what are the perks that help make each day a little bit special and will be the last thing you cut from your budget?

Anything from your Starbucks to your favorite vintage perfume, to your hair appointment.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I couldn't live without my biggest indulgence which is Creme de la Mer moisturiser - I have really, really dry skin and its the only thing that works for me - I get a few months out of each tub so it doesn't work out that expensive in the end and is really worth every cent.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I could never give up sewing and collecting vintage patterns. I have a Fabricland membership card so at least I get super duper discounts.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I agree, MarieAnne! It's a cheap indulgence (I try not to pay more than $15 per pattern) and since I get most of mine from eBay, there's the hunt, the waiting for the auction to end and then the feeling of winning. It's more than just the purchase of an item. My other indulgence in teas from ww.adagio.com. It's another one that can be as expensive or cheap as you can afford. Most of their sample tins are $2 and their most expensive tea is $25 for a small tin. There's something for when I'm really tight and something for when I'm flush.

justaktty

New in Town
pampering?

It's interesting you should start this thread. I've just been thinking over my New Year's promises to me, and that's one of them...to find some way to pamper myself at least once a day. That's been sorely lacking for me in the last few years.

I think I'm headed in the direction of giving myself a weekly facial; seems like that would be something I need, and something I enjoy. I'm looking at "home made facials" from WWII that they used when things were hard to find. This would incorporate a self pamper with some interesting little project. I intend to do a bit of reading in the Powder Room and Beauty to see what we know already.

This board is such a good resource!

Justaktty

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don't feel like I've had to give up anything. :)

But if my husband or I found ourselve jobless (FORBID!) I would miss all this stuff:

Starbucks
Sushi
Insta-Curry
Fabric
Patterns
1930s Movie mags

The very extra stuff that keeps me sane!

justaktty

New in Town
Ohhh...absolutely right about haircuts! I would give up a lot of other stuff to keep getting good haircuts, and decent coloring. I am of an age now where both of those things are crucial to being able to walk out the door in the morning!

Justaktty

imported_miss_molly

Familiar Face
Laura Chase said:
miss_molly, I really understand that. For me too, good quality makeup is definitely the one luxury I would not live without!

Yes, it's like my mum has always drummed into me - if you're gonna put it on your face it has to be the good stuff! lol

(slightly :eek:fftopic: sorry!)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
miss_molly said:
Yes, it's like my mum has always drummed into me - if you're gonna put it on your face it has to be the good stuff! lol

(slightly :eek:fftopic: sorry!)

Here's what we learned in cosmetology school, use the most expensive stuff you can afford directly on the skin, ie moisterizer and foundation, then cheap stuff on top. Your shadows, blush, ect never actually come in contact with the skin, so they don't have to be as high quality. Not saying you shouldn't use high end cosmetics, just saying that if you have to budget, splurge on the moisterizer and foundation.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
movies! lol
I love renting them and going to the theater....I will always find spare cash for that! I suppose that is the one nice thing about being just above the poverty line. This recession has had no affect on me since I don't have any money to lose.
Always looking on the bright side :rolleyes:

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Having my nails done - I always wear Solar nails, because I'm so hard on my hands, that natural nails just don't stand a chance! I've finally found a nail tech who does them JUST right - perfect vintage-y oval shape, and my signature red polish, Vodka and Caviar by OPI. I feel sloppy if my nails don't look right!

Also, I couldn't possibly stop estate-saling. It is both work and pleasure for me. But it is probably my #1 pamper ... i.e, I bought x, y, and z for resale - so these boxes of seamed stockings are for me!

jayem

A-List Customer
Angels On Bare Skin, Cynthia Sylvia Stout, Ring Around the Rosie, and American Cream from Lush.
My Excedrine PM.
Vitamins, especially my fish oil.
Good, old fashioned, glycerin soap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff