Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pampering

kyda

One of the Regulars
cutting back

I could not live without my make-up, moisturiser, shampoo and pefume so I would find a way of getting these things if we had to really tighten our belts

imported_miss_molly

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
Here's what we learned in cosmetology school, use the most expensive stuff you can afford directly on the skin, ie moisterizer and foundation, then cheap stuff on top. Your shadows, blush, ect never actually come in contact with the skin, so they don't have to be as high quality. Not saying you shouldn't use high end cosmetics, just saying that if you have to budget, splurge on the moisterizer and foundation.

Oooh, thank you, I never thought of that! It's a great way to save money! (which as a full-time student who can't find a job I really should start doing! :confused: )

Foofoogal

Banned
Lovely deep happy bubbly bubble baths with lush bath products, notably my favorite bubble bar 'The Comforter'

you and me both. I am a bathaholic. I have a pillow, gel eye mask, scrubbers, feet smoothers. Even a nice Dove bar can make one feel better (they have so different scents even lately). Must be followed by nice lotion and bath powder with bath puffs. So hard to find nice ones it seems. I have no idea why it is so hard.
That and a nice cup of hot tea will change perspective quickly. or maybe a nice good piece of chocolate.
Treat yourself to a treat in 2009. After my children were raised I started doing this and I keep it up. So important.
http://www.dove.us/#/Products/BarSoapBodyWash/Beauty_Bar.aspx/

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I can't think of anything that I do, as far as pampering goes... I love it when my husband rubs my back. :)

I look at makeup and moisturizing as hygene. I've always been involved with some form of sales, so makeup is required, for the most part (and I buy cheap). I hate putting it on sometimes, but I do it (and I love the end result). This is something I want to do for a living (another story).
To me pampering is like a luxury, hypothetically speaking, that you spend on yourself. Sounds stupid, but I'm having hard time answering this one. :p
I need to see a phychiatrist...does that count? lol

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Hmmm...Since I have been cutting back on the Starbucks (yay for my slimmer waistline!) and the shopping splurges (I have enough winter clothes now) my monthly indulgence, no matter how the economy goes, will be my massages from Glen Ivy Spa. The hot stone treatment with the massage is sooo worth it.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Well I've been living like I will get laid off tomorrow for a couple of years now and have cut back tremendously. The best part about it is feeling in control. Pampering for me is more about giving time back to myself. I hit the library or the bookstore and buy myself a fun paperback. Haircolor would be hard to give up but I can cut my own hair. I love to paint my nails and do it at least once a week.
I think the one thing I would find a way to keep would be the care of my little peanuts. My little dog needs grooming and I will always keep him looking kempt. I love the way he smells when he gets back and though sad - that's my idea of pampering. Snuggling with a coconut smelling puppy.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I couldnt agree more with you :)

I have cut back on tons of things for myself.. (things I can do myslef) But for My Babby Bella.. It makes me feel better when she is groomed and neat and smells like lavander.. YUMMM... she is the best snuggler and the lavender scent always relaxed me... :) I just couldnt deprive my Baby B her grooming.. since her hair grows like a weed! :p

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Being out of a job, I've already cut back on quite a few "pampering" areas - like Starbucks! Thankfully, some of the things I enjoy are cheap/free, like checking out 20 books from the library. :)

One thing I don't plan to go cheap on is my foundation. Blush, eyeshadow, etc. can be had inexpensively, but good foundation is well worth the cost!

Emer

One of the Regulars
I love to take baths!! I can have the most horrid of days, but fill up a bathroom with steamy hot water, good smelling bubble bath (it doesn't even matter the brand as long as it smells good), and some scented candles... that's a recipe for happiness in my book.

I'm also going to learn to give myself a proper manicure this year if it kills me. That's one of the splurges I had to give up: having acryllic nails. So baths have become much more frequent around here! :p

Emer

One of the Regulars
ShoreRoadLady said:
Being out of a job, I've already cut back on quite a few "pampering" areas - like Starbucks! Thankfully, some of the things I enjoy are cheap/free, like checking out 20 books from the library. :)

One thing I don't plan to go cheap on is my foundation. Blush, eyeshadow, etc. can be had inexpensively, but good foundation is well worth the cost!

lol I had to buy new blush yesterday and I told hubby that I bought the cheap stuff. When he admonished me and said I didn't have to be cheap on that I said, "I buy $20 eyeliner and $30 moisturizer--my blush can be cheap!"

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
'Bout the only pampering thing I've splurged on recently is my big bottle of Coco Mademoiselle perfume that I got over a year ago. It was expensive but the bottle is so pretty and I haven't even used half of it yet so I think it was a good buy.

There's a Thomas Pink shirt I've got my eye on, but I think it will be reduced further so I'm waiting to see if that happens before using some of my christmas money to purchase it. Good quality cloth always makes me feel pampered.

laurakitty

Familiar Face
I could never give up:

* my vitamins
* good quality organic ingredients- I have so many food allergies that I can't eat most foods and have to cook everything for myself

I feel like I've already given up so much in the last two years that I really can't think of much more than that. I did give up my brazilian waxes but then my boyfriend decided he would pay for them, hah...

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I'm not exactly the pampering type of girl...I can and often do (I prefer to) cut my own hair, don't do maini/pedi's...

The only thing I really couldn't give up is my tea. I drink Red Rose tea, which isn't that expensive and lasts forever, but I couldn't live without it. (seriously I take it with me to camps, because I'm a MAJOR b-witch without it. Caffeine addiction, not fun lol )

Also my music. If I couldn't charge my ipod or it broke and I couldn't replace it...I'd go crazy.

Things I'd prefer to have, but could live without

internet,but I have lived without it before...
some form of foundation but I can make do with cheap,SHAMPOO and CONDITIONER that's something I can NOT stand to skimp on, good shampoo, I COULD go without it, but I reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly wouldn't want to

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I'm not having to do without just yet, but I am trying to be smarter about the goodies I purchase.

I am quite the coupon clipper, and try to match them with sales. I got Revlon Red nail polish for $.43 this month. No kidding!!
The grocery store had the polish for $4.86, but it was half off, so that was $2.43. Then, I had a $2 off coupon. So I paid, 43 cents!! :eusa_clap

Vegan_Kitty

New in Town
Joie DeVive said:
I'm not having to do without just yet, but I am trying to be smarter about the goodies I purchase.

I am quite the coupon clipper, and try to match them with sales. I got Revlon Red nail polish for $.43 this month. No kidding!!
The grocery store had the polish for $4.86, but it was half off, so that was $2.43. Then, I had a $2 off coupon. So I paid, 43 cents!! :eusa_clap

OMG :eusa_clap Thats awesome, well done you. I love it when stuff like that happens.

I always try to keep an eye out for special offers during the year, so say if the moisturiser i use was on sale id buy a pot and put it away for when my other pot runs out. I dont have hords of stuff or anything, :D its just a good way to get something cheaper. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn