Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama dress hats in movies

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
A Room with a View.
He wears two of these in the movie, both Optimo style with the crown pushed down the same way. One straight white with a cracking crease at the front and the other in this natural color.

Panama1-vi.jpg

Panama2-vi.jpg

Panama3-vi.jpg

Raiders of the Lost Ark
And a good shot of our old buddy Belloq.
I've never been a fan of the ultra curled brim... but it's his own evil twist.

250px-Belloq.jpg

priceless_288x288.bmp

And Sallah

The-Most-Annoying-Kids-in-Steven-Spielberg-Movies3.jpg

Last Crusade

Marcus Brody

marcusbrody.gif

marcus_brody.jpg

The Last Emperor

Peter O'Toole

LastEmperor21.jpeg

last_emperor2.jpg

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a remake with Robert Redford as Charlie Chan.

Makes you think about what wonderful works of art the movies could be if the people who made them lost their sense of self importance and innate conservatism (not in the political sense but in the creative sense).

Redford might make a better Fu Manchu than Chan.

I personally want a straw hat like Barney Fife wore.

norton

One of the Regulars
In Some Like it Hot, all the gangsters are wearing Optimo's when they hold their convention in Florida.

I tried to find a photo, but all they all seemed to be of Marilyn Monroe, go figure, and she didn't wear a panama.

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark
And a good shot of our old buddy Belloq.
I've never been a fan of the ultra curled brim... but it's his own evil twist.

priceless_288x288.bmp

Evil, indeed. Check out that wicked taper!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Me! . . . . almost . . .

I extra-ed in a movie 3 years ago, The Caller, with Frank Langella. It was in a bar called the Lenox Lounge, in Harlem, and I sat there with my old beat up Panama for 4 hours, watching Frank Langella basically do nothing, but brilliantly.
I finally saw the movie last week, and my scene was reshot. So me and my Panama wound up on the cutting room floor. [huh]

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
There is a very well costumed French film about Toulouse Lautrec, simply titled "Lautrec" thats quite hard to find on DVD. In addition to lots can can girls and a lovely Elsa Zyberstein in a corset, more on topic for this thread it has a wonderful selection of panama hats (including a nice straw homburg)and linen suits during the summer scenes:

paysage-5.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Andy Garcia's film "The Lost City" while not a perfect movie is one of the best films for 'tropical dress' clothes I've seen. I couldn't find any good photos of panamas from the film, but its got lots of nice panamas, guyabera shirts, spectators, and the lovely Ines Sastre.

Marcelo

New in Town
David Suchet as Poirot in Greece. By the way, this is my first post, and I hope it's an interesting contribution to this thread.

poirotgreece.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24