Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Fedora? What is a good one?

PRW94

New in Town
Thanks for moving this to the existing thread ... search function here was acting a little balky and this thread didn't come up in Google search ... this is info I was needing, decision now is trying to decide whether I can scrounge up enough boot on my own to get a low-end Montecristi, or put my foot in the door with a higher-end Cuenca which shouldn't be an issue. Leaning toward the latter.

Fermenter

New in Town
Hi guys! It's about time I got into a Panama.

I must suffer from a hotter head than most, but I really struggle with a felt hat in warm weather, and even the Tilley 'Airflo' I got last year is too hot for me (the double layer of fabric around the crown, plus the foam insert in the top is just too much for that little mesh border to negate).

I need something smart-casual (but not too fragile) for going out and about in the sun, to outdoor events, barbecues etc. I suppose I'm looking for my signature 'going out' hat, and I'm starting to think a nice light semi-calado Panama might be it, especially if I can find one in a 3"+ brim. I also think that rollable (ie, no lining or leather sweat) could prove really handy.

Right now I'm looking to find something half decent in stock somewhere (I can always really splash out when I know it works for me). From my research it looks like Panama Bob is the guy, but that he's got some stuff on his plate right now and is currently backlogged (hopefully temporarily - and if you are reading this Bob, your rep is excellent and I really hope you can pull through whatever it is that's got you right now).

I've found a couple of options in my size on PanamaHatsDirect, and I guess the prices are reasonable (although by the time I convert the dollars and land them here they aren't particularly cheap for the grade). BTW, I'm not a fan of the black ribbon - I'd probably get the thin brown leather band for general casual wear, but maybe get a couple of snazzier ribbons to dress it up when required:

#1: Montecristi 'Havana' Fino, 3.23" brim, AU$300 landed:
3108.JPG

#2: Montecristi 'Havana' Sub-fino, 3.35" brim, AU$200 landed:
3361.JPG

Anyway, just looking for some thoughts, recommendations, suppliers, calado pics, anything to help me along the way. Especially good online suppliers that can ship to Australia at reasonable cost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk