Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat articles from the web

HungaryTom

One Too Many
New arrivals

Panama hats - in Men's Health

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/index.php/v3/Panama_hats_Vs_Baseball_caps

Panama hats blog

http://www.ecuador.com/blog/origins-of-the-renowned-panama-hat

The UN and panama hats

http://www.unspecial.org/UNS647/t41.html

The Making of Cuenca - photos

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/panama_hats_ecuador.htm

YouTube:

Tejedores de sombreros de paja toquilla-Panama Hat-Ecuador
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s_1I5u0rs8&mode=related&search=

Panama Hat weaving from paja toquilla in Principal, Ecuador
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OcFFpxF0Mk&mode=related&search=

Panama-hats are from Cuenca in Ecuador -?? ....nevermind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcBUqhI6fD4&mode=related&search=

SOMBREROS - PANAMA HAT - VIDEO 3/3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvUohpUotJ0&mode=related&search=

Enjoy

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
That last on is my buddy Goevanny (Yovanny) Mero Pachay. He finishes hats. This past trip, he finished about a half dozen of our hats. I know Hungary Tom has one of them as finished by Gary White. The good thing about Yovanny is that he's commissioning them bigger for export.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Panamas in Art and Science

Lovis Corinth: Self portrait in Panama hat
http://www.kunstkopie.de/a/corinth-lovis/selbstbildnis-mit-panamah.html

‘Alberto’ Einstein and the panama hat:

http://www.walterlippmann.com/docs388.html

IN HAVANA WITH A PANAMA HAT
By: B?°rbara Avenda?±o

That December 19, 1930 promised to be a hot day, at least to an European, so ‘Alberto’ Einstein decided to buy a summer hat as soon as he arrived in Havana. It is said that the owners of the shop El Encanto gave the Nobel prizewinner the best Panama hat they had with no other charge than posing with them for a group photograph. Thus he started his program for a 30-hour stay on Cuban soil.

On the first day, the renowned scientist visited the Secretary of State and attended a solemn ceremony organized in his honor by Havana’s Academy of Physical and Natural Sciences and the Cuban Geographic Society. Accompanied by his wife Elsa, he enjoyed the attention lavished on him by the Hebrew Community in the island and a banquet at Hotel Plaza offered by the president of the Academy of Sciences.

Later on he went on a car tour around the Country Club and the Havana Yacht Club, as well as Santiago de Las Vegas[1], a ride to satisfy his intention of admiring Cuba’s countryside and other sites. Einstein and his group ended the day at a reception arranged by the Cuban Society of Engineers, but the never-ending requests for autographs forced him to flee in a headlong rush and seek refuge in the steamboat Belgenland, where he had traveled, deciding to spend the night on board despite an official invitation to stay at Hotel Nacional.

The professor had begun his voyage in Belgium a few days before, on December 2. He sailed to San Diego, U.S.A., and from there rode to Pasadena, invited by the Director of Caltech. As he told a Bohemia magazine journalist who interviewed him aboard, he would be able to drop by the nearby Mount Wilson astronomical observatory –up to then the world’s biggest reflecting telescope– for some research bound to provide new evidence of his general theory of relativity.

“British physicists Crommenlinck and Eddington’s works on the results of their latest observations of total eclipses,” he said, “cast no doubt about the curved trajectory of light beams in the gravity field, as established by my theories. However, I am confident that the powerful instruments at Mount Wilson will allow me to get undisputable astrophysical proof.”

The day after he arrived in Havana, the German savant, said by the journalist to dislike being asked about his brilliant findings, wanted to go slumming. After thanking his hosts for pleasing him in his odd undertakings, ‘Alberto’ Einstein bid farewell.

---ooOoo---

(Published in Bohemia magazine, December 9, 2005. Year 97, No. 25)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Put on your panama

Kaleponi Craig,

Thanks for the message.:)
Bob, yes HungaryTom has one out of those magnificient half dozen, and he is so happy with it that he kept on scanning the web for articles. ;) He found another quite good one.
• It mentions Simon Espinal's father, Don Senovio Espinal by name, I hope that his grandchildren Carlos and Gisela will also teach their children to weave...
• This article also discusses the topic of panama hat styles
• Ladies in panama hats
• Answers the topic of folding a Montecristi hat and passing it through a wedding ring
• The longevity of these hats is also testified

... what more can you want?

Put On a Panama

By Annika Mengisen
TheStreet.com Staff Reporter
4/25/2007 9:10 AM EDT
http://www.thestreet.com/_email/funds/goodlife/10352490.html

Regards:

Tom

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Great article, thanks. I don't know if it's already on your thread, but the New York times Style section this summer had a number of photos showing people wearing summer hats and commented on how many of the hats were Panamas. If you haven't already posted it, I'll be glad to dig up the link.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Kobalto, more than welcome

It would be great to show hat styles.
Articles with photos are always helpful, visual information is the best.
You would honor me if you do the display in this thread.:)

Regards:

Tom

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
The Ecuadorian Constitutional Assembly is moving to Montecristi for 6 months to rewrite the constitution. The town is being revitalized, cleaned up, and looks good!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Great News

Bob,

Maybe they shall include the Montecristi fino appellation control in their agenda...This is wishful thinking but it might become reality.

I would be surprised if the legislators would stay there for 6 months and could stay immune to the charm of these gorgeous hats.

Even a mega-diversity country as Ecuador has not too many signature 'items' and it would be good if the Montecristi fino hat could get its rightful status.

I hope that the mayor or the regional lobby has enough power to attract the attention towards this topic once they could manage to get the assembly there.

The people involved in the industry could get also some more motivation if the status of their produce is cleared and the prices paid for the producers climb somewhat.

If you have on site photos you could add them the next time you come back, seeing progress there would be definitely a lifting experience.

Regards:

Tom

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Vintage/historical Panama hat stuff

Der All,

Two historial articles 107 and 106 years old articles respectively. Those are .pdf scanned articles.

• HOW PANAMA HATS ARE MADE.; Three to Five Months Daily Toil Needed to Make the Finest Grades.
Special to The New York Times.
September 2, 1900, Wednesday
Page 24, 709 words
WASHINGTON, Sept. 1 -- Perry M. de Leon, Consul General in Ecuador, has sent in a report giving some interesting particulars regarding the manufacture of the Manavi, or Panama, hat. [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]

query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F10716F83B5D12738DDDAB0894D1405B808CF1D3 spiderbites.nytimes.com/articles/free/free190009_9.html

WEARING "PANAMA" HATS; The Tropical Product's Sudden Leap Into Popularity Here.
June 6, 1901, Wednesday
Page 9, 2003 words

query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FB0716F83B5414728DDDAF0894DE405B818CF1D3 spiderbites.nytimes.com/articles/free/free190106_8.html

IMDb Panama Hat Industry (1913)

The documentary film is dated from the last year of the Belle Époque: 1913. Wonder whether anyone can trace or find a copy of this film?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
PB What is this treatment?

"What makes this hat stand out from any other Panama Hat is the pinch-proof reinforcement and the Weatherall treatment that makes it H20 repellent".

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
"What makes this hat stand out from any other Panama Hat is the pinch-proof reinforcement and the Weatherall treatment that makes it H20 repellent".

The reinforcement is a "patch" of cloth or some other sort that prevents you from pinching the crown sides together. You can see it on a picture if you look at some of those hats on that page.

Weatherall, I'm assuming, is a trade name for a water sealer.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Try this at home

Kind contributors and visitors,

Since this thread just passed 4000+ viewings let me share this ‘invention’ with you.

Industrial scanner for wpsi is solved...it is however a very semi-industrial solution…
  1. Take a piece of blank note paper (3,5x3,5 inches), put a ruler on it, mark a square of 1x1 cm or 1x1 inch.
  2. Cut this square with a scissor to get a window, put the scissor away.
  3. You have the pliable sheet with a square inch window, than place it with clean hands on any surface of your Panama hat.
  4. You count the weaves (the little knots) in the horizontal and the vertical direction along the edges of the „window” underneath a magnifying glass, if necessary. With coarse weaves the bare eye is enough.
  5. Take 3 samples: e.g. count at the brim, the side of the crown, on the top and you have the perfect overview of weave numbers.
The paper can be hold, plied on the floppy hat's surface, and it won’t move while you count, and is much easier to deploy than a ruler...

Since I have not seen this 'tool' mentioned before in any thread or site, just the rulers placed along the hats I shall hereby patent this almost free, safe and quick solutionlol .

Regards:

Tom

Flieger

Practically Family
They say it's the simple ideas that are the best and most elegant - This one is brilliant! :eusa_clap

Thanks for sharing Tom!

/F

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
HungaryTom said:
Kind contributors and visitors,

Since this thread just passed 4000+ viewings let me share this ‘invention’ with you.

Industrial scanner for wpsi is solved...it is however a very semi-industrial solution…
  1. Take a piece of blank note paper (3,5x3,5 inches), put a ruler on it, mark a square of 1x1 cm or 1x1 inch.
  2. Cut this square with a scissor to get a window, put the scissor away.
  3. You have the pliable sheet with a square inch window, than place it with clean hands on any surface of your Panama hat.
  4. You count the weaves (the little knots) in the horizontal and the vertical direction along the edges of the „window” underneath a magnifying glass, if necessary. With coarse weaves the bare eye is enough.
  5. Take 3 samples: e.g. count at the brim, the side of the crown, on the top and you have the perfect overview of weave numbers.
The paper can be hold, plied on the floppy hat's surface, and it won’t move while you count, and is much easier to deploy than a ruler...

Since I have not seen this 'tool' mentioned before in any thread or site, just the rulers placed along the hats I shall hereby patent this almost free, safe and quick solutionlol .

Regards:

Tom

While getting caught up with my reading I came across this--what a helpful and timely idea! Timely because I just received an old panama hat that was described by the seller as being made of some sort of animal skin such as sheepskin--they didn't realize it was straw. The weave is very fine indeed. I'll have to give this method a try.

Thanks!
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24