Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PANAMA HAT HEADS UP!!!!

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
CBS Morning news is going to run a piece on Panama Hats in this coming hour CDT. Something about a Master Hatter. Just thought I'd spread the word in case anyone else is on vacation and can watch for the heck of it.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Pretty Good Guess

At least I actually saw the weaving process in action. Leaning on that log all day with a pilow between my chest and the post wouldnt be very comfortable. Good PR for BB tho, and good for the Panama Hat weavers. They did point out that make no mistake, he is a business man.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
About a month ago, I had a nice chat with the producer of the show. He said he was taking the high road, more or less, on the angle of the story. Great guy, I think he was from Lexington, though maybe Louisville, not too far from here.

I didn't get to see it, but I hope they put it on their website.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I just saw the video. Very nice. I take exception to a few things as entirely altruistic, like raising the wages (By Jeeves , you've been going back for 20+ years, why the generous heart now? ),but to each his own. I know what is happening down there and here I am, in a public forum saying that some of those things aren't happening. Perhaps they will.

You'll note that the medical center was donated by www.hatshop.com Worth and Worth/ Orlando Palacios. The guy getting the shot is Simon Espinal's dad.

Fortunately, I am personally commissioning each and every hat made by Simon's kids. Maybe that will change now that they are "famous". I'd hate to have some Hawaiian cut our legs out from under us again, but it is a "business" right?

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/earlyshow/main500202.shtml

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
You've got to click on:

Keoghan's Heroes
Phil Keoghan, the host of "The Amazing Race," uses his down time between races to do some global exploring of his own. His most recent stop: the waves of Malibu, which he tackles, literally, with surfer extraordinaire Laird Hamilton. More...

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Thanks-Hats down

Dear Prairie Shade,

Thanks for posting this link.
You all post these videos outside my thread…:rage: Although it could give that even more viewings…I’m so sad.:D

There is a fairy tale about a little sausage that did swallow up an entire farmer’s family who went in one by one to the store-room in the winter evening, and the smallest son did burst it after he was also swallowed with his pocket knife.

This moral is the only reason why I post outside my thread and stops me from swallowing others stories.:p

By Jeeves, you've been going back for 20+ years, why the generous heart now?
Bob, the answer is simple-info gets around quite quickly in this lil’ networked world.

20+ years ago info went also fast, but rather about ‘important’ things in life - wars, natural disasters, fatal accidents, catastrophes, famines, stock exchange, sports, etc.
Not about ‘nuances’ like Montecristi or their producers fate and not on the level of internet communities.

2007-Just 11 days before this CBS Montecristi hat video appeared- you got a historical Montecristi documentary made in Sweden 1949 A.D. posted at FL. Hats down to Flieger. 9 days after I wished to have another video clip on Montecristi hatweaving, FL has the 2007 Montecristi weaving video clip - thanks to Prairie Shade...

You'll note that the medical center was donated by www.hatshop.com Worth and Worth/ Orlando Palacios. Hats down to www.hatshop.com.

Fortunately, I am personally commissioning each and every hat made by Simon's kids. Maybe that will change now that they are "famous".-Yes everyone helps where his talents are the best: Brent Black can do this in advertising and making people famous. This is how he serves the case of Montecristi. Hats down to "Brent Black, a man who is helping to save the dying art of Panama hat weaving" in the hope that implementing 50-50 will be also resolved.

I know what is happening down there and here I am, in a public forum saying that some of those things aren't happening. Perhaps they will.- Bob I LOVE your US styled optimism. And wonder how you forget things so quickly.

You just quoted from the 17 Jan 2007 Financial Times article on 21 April 2007 that “...is working to get more money directly to the weavers”… On 18 June 2007, 5 FIVE months later the similar info unearths at CBS: “He is trying to improve pay and working conditions for the weavers”. Bob, I just tried to help your memory.

“Simon Espinal, a weaver who spends hours a day stooped over a bench, nimbly turning straw into gold” is still ‘talkative’: “Dos meses” and "Three hundred" are his answers. He is seemingly fascinated by the tempo of price ‘reforms’ and the tons of gold which will ‘privilege’ now even his children.

I had the 'privilege' to live behind the Iron Curtain until the age of 14. Then I left for the Western Sector for 3 years. Once returning in 1989 I saw everlasting friendships of people fade, an empire collapsing, 2 neighboring countries falling apart, I heard family stories from WWII and 1956, and all happened in places where I lived. This made me to a cynical East European. People here are promised beautiful things and help quite often – which did not happen quite often. Nowadays aren’t exception.

I’m not Rain Man that never forgets and remembers everything…I just have the time stamp on all posts. Stubborn computers.

I can’t question anyone’s intentions – there is an instance just for that. At least that is what all the religions and organizations -sometimes also fierce competitors of each others- promoting and practicing help are talking about.
Unanimously.

I just can only take my hat down to all kinds of service. Really.

Each Child Matters Inc. – a bunch of ‘amateurs’ (a word which comes from amore. i.e. love of the subject) seems to be less ‘meticulous’ in its preparations of their actions-you just seem to DO things. Also American styled. The 1000 USD Montecristi raffle for example. I just went for a week off-returned and saw that all is done.
True none of those gentlemen have PhD in ‘Master Hatting’ or MSC in ‘Visionary’ or Academy Awards in ‘Philanthropy’ – only their actions are there. Also documented by stubborn computers.

Hats down to all stakeholders and donors.

Bob, travel safe I second here RBH. Once you return please share the bank data of Each Child Inc.
Children really matter- also without getting a Superfino hat for 10 USD.

Regards:

Tom

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Simon Espinal - the best weaver alive

I deleted my post where I asked about the progress of Simon Espinal - the best weaver alive who is patronized by Brent Black and their exclusive contract.
I compared the house of Espinal in the CBS video scenes with the pictures PanamaBob posted last August at FL.
The result of 300+ days…did result in deletion.
True, the media campaign around Simon Espinal rolls and his teenage children grow.
Saving all the hundreds of weavers is too much – but to make a difference in the life of the one exclusive partner?

So, once more hats UP to all the help and effort that changes people’s life there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW