Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I just got my latest Montecristi Medio Fino from Panama Bob this past week and it is simply the BEST Montecristi I have gotten from him ! It is an Optimo crease with a 2 1/2" brim on it and I had him send it to his choice of US finisher to get it blocked and finished this time. ( My other Optimo was an Ortega finished hat done in Ecuador, VERY NICELY done by the way). He sent it to Tom Gomez out in California and folks, he has got to be THE BEST !! The brown leather sweat is soft and the HAND SEWING he does on the sweats is FANTASTIC. I would put it on an equal with anything I have seen here from Optimo any day ! It has a Black 4 fold pug band and I think I'm going to wear this one snapped down all-around with the 2 1/2" brim. It comes in at 400WPI and I will try to get pics up this next week !! Once again, another FINE hat from PB and this makes number 8 I have from him, (4 Montecristi's, 4 Cuenca's).

Last edited:
...I think I'm going to wear this one snapped down all-around with the 2 1/2" brim.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your new hat. I watched Sinner's Holiday on TCM earlier this week. James Cagney wears an optimo Panama snapped down front and back. The hat was large for him, and a number of the hats in the movie were odd choices, but this was not my favorite styling for an optimo.

Picture+7.jpg

Reactions: DRB

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Whoooo! I just got three hats from Panama Bob in the post. Fantastic! Even with all the positive comments I'd read before receiving the package didn't prepare me for the quality of product I received. I got a Cuenca Caballero ($49.99), a Savanah ($29.99) and a Montechristi semi calado fino, blocked in the US by Batsakes, which I'm wearing as I'm typing. This was $109.99 on ebay. I think I'll take that one for a walk to the swimming pool right now, considering it's 86°F and 50% humidity, nice clean air now that everyone's gone back to the village for Ied holidays at the end of puasa in Jakarta ....

Oh, Robert sent me a copy of "The Panama Hat Trail", too. I think I'll take that to the pool, too. Good way to start a very long weekend ....

Photos soon.

fmw

One Too Many
I wore a Panama indoors Saturday night! This is something I never do. A couple of my sisters visited over the weekend. To celebrate our childhood, we prepared a Cuban dinner the way our mother used to make it. I wore a traditional linen guayabera. One of my sisters said she wanted to photograph me and my wife. She said I needed to wear a Panama hat to finish the composition. I would have included a cigar to finish the look except I don't smoke.

rfg.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I wore a Panama indoors Saturday night! This is something I never do. A couple of my sisters visited over the weekend. To celebrate our childhood, we prepared a Cuban dinner the way our mother used to make it. I wore a traditional linen guayabera. One of my sisters said she wanted to photograph me and my wife. She said I needed to wear a Panama hat to finish the composition. I would have included a cigar to finish the look except I don't smoke.

rfg.jpg

Guayabera's and Panama's are de riguer in the summer for sure! I wear mine with my Panama's all the time ! But down here we wear mostly the short sleeved versions from Mexico. That look is perfect ! :)

fmw

One Too Many
The short sleeved "guayabera" is a fairly recent thing. I never saw a short sleeved guayabera in 40's or 50's Cuba nor one that wasn't white in color nor made of linen. It had four pockets and was always worn outside the trousers - like a blazer. The guayabera was something Cuban men wore wherever an American would wear a suit or sport coat. It was normal wear for work at the office or a dinner date. It was usually worn with dark slacks and "formal" shoes. There were certainly short sleeved sport shirts for casual wear but they didn't have the guayabera look like the Mexican shirts to which you refer. The one I'm wearing looks pretty traditional. It was made in Panama. I can't get one from Cuba.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The short sleeved "guayabera" is a fairly recent thing. I never saw a short sleeved guayabera in 40's or 50's Cuba nor one that wasn't white in color nor made of linen. It had four pockets and was always worn outside the trousers - like a blazer. The guayabera was something Cuban men wore wherever an American would wear a suit or sport coat. It was normal wear for work at the office or a dinner date. It was usually worn with dark slacks and "formal" shoes. There were certainly short sleeved sport shirts for casual wear but they didn't have the guayabera look like the Mexican shirts to which you refer. The one I'm wearing looks pretty traditional. It was made in Panama. I can't get one from Cuba.

Growing up in Texas, they were a Mexican formal dress wear. The Cuban's say they invented it and the Mexicans say they did and the Philipino's say it was modeled after there lacey similarly styled shirts worn for the same reasons. I've only seen the short sleeved worn down here except at a wedding or Quinceanera party where the long sleeved ones are worn. I get mine from Shushan's in New Orleans and they are made in Mexico and have both LS and SS versions in linen.
http://www.shushans.com/havanashirt.html My father would wear them back in the '50s and I wear 'em now. Love 'em :)

Here's one in linen from Shushan's I wore at Easter this year. The lady is my mother :)

EasterSunday067.jpg

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
It's a practical and nice looking shirt. Your mother looks like she's doing pretty well also.

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks to all you gents. We had a great visit from my sisters. We ate well and had long chats about the old days. My wife enjoyed it as well. Having been raised in Havana until the age of 13, I still miss the place despite what has happened to it. I'd love to visit one day.

Last edited:

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Here's my wish that you may, one day, be able to visit Cuba; Sir. It's a sad thing to subsist separated from one's earlier life, especially by political questions of one sort or another. ¡Que le vaya bien!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Not new, but two of my favorites...bottom is from Gus at Batsakes, and the top from Art, both supplied by Panamabob

DSC_0312.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart