Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
I think they're available from Mexico. I see them fairly often in the Sacramento area. They do look great. I do have my panama from Panama Bob. Just put it in the box for the winter. (It was only a chilly 99 in Sacramento today).

barrowjh

One Too Many
fmw, the hats I have out on display (in rotation) are confined to the office, and I usually pull them close to the camera like this, puts a lot of hats in the frame.
Aureliano - you wanted to see the backwoven edge on the Peruvian medio fino -
Picture103.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Nobody asked, but here is a closer pic of the topside backwoven edge on the Fino:
Picture105.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Look at all those hats....heaven!!

I started out to buy one fino Montecristi llano weave C-crown from Panama Bob. These evil hatters that lurk amongst us know our weakness and I fell prey to 3 hats! First the Fino, 2 1/2 inch brim:
Picture101.jpg

Picture96.jpg

Picture95.jpg

While the above transaction was in progress (several months) I just could not lay off of this Semi-Calado wide-brim at auction (nobody bid against me) - and I decided to 'cowboy' it:
Picture97.jpg

Picture98.jpg

Here with an orange pug for tomorrow's game in Knoxville:
Picture102.jpg

PB also teased me with a close look at this medio-fino llano weave from Peru, wide brim. He described it as 'sturdy' and I will second that - its a brick %&#@house of a llano! I liked it and bought it for the same as the semi-cal auction price, but I will have to add some more sizing to get this one to hold my 'cowboy' efforts - it is sturdy, got a mind of its own:
Picture99.jpg

Picture100.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Aureliano, not so easy to say, because I do not have (nor have I seen) many Montecristi Llano weaves at the medio fino grade level, so this is a relatively un-educated conversation on my end. On the top side of the brim edge, where, after backweaving, the ends of the straw have been cut off, that (short stubs of straw) is more clearly visible on this Peruvian Llano hat, and it is not so clearly visible on the Semi-Calado. Also, the backwoven edge of the Peruvian llano weave appears to have been 'pounded' flat, and none of my Montecristi Llano weaves appear to have been flattened along the backweave. Does this information help you 'see' the edge better?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Indeed. Thanks for the info. When I lived in Ecuador, over a decade ago, I never saw this type of Peruvian hat. I saw other styles. I find it interesting. Thanks again.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
While traveling through Peru in 1969, I purchased a hat that I had assumed was a panama from Ecuador. I had no idea that these hats were fabricated in Peru. The Peruvian hat, that I purchased, had a wide brim rolled on the edges and a tall flat crown. That hat was with me until 1999, when it finally died.

dnjan

One Too Many
Does anyone own a high weave count Monti hat, too good to wear, and keep it in a display case?
I find that concept sad.

I know there are collectors out there, but I really hope they actually wear their collection.

About like buying a Picasso, and keeping it in a vault.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up

Agree with you. I have a high wave count, very finely woven, great color patina Montecristi that was my dad's. He wore it since he got it in the 70s and after he died, 5 years ago, I've been wearing it. There's going to be a time, very soon I think, that this wonder of a hat is going to become my only, ever, display hat. It's becoming fragile and, although my wife had me insure it along with my piano and other stuff in the house, I'd never forgive myself if something happened to it. I'm seeing Graham from Optimo next Saturday here in NY at his trunk show. I'm going to have him look at it and assess the situation.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I find that concept sad.

I know there are collectors out there, but I really hope they actually wear their collection.

Good point. I have only one hat Panama that I don't wear, my Grandfathers which is too small for me but my others are bought to be worn. I have some 500+ WPI Monte's and I wear them all. Maybe not as a daily summer weraer, but for dress for sure. Why buy it if your not going to wear it :)

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I bought a 600+ weave count Montecristi last summer and I've ordered a 900. I can't imagine not wearing them, but I will wear them at appropriate times, no different than a felt hat. I wouldn't wear my best felts to garden or hike in.

Last edited:

mojohand

New in Town
Hi all...

I've been reading through the threads of this forum for a couple of weeks now in regard to panama hats. Anyhow, through this website I picked up the name Panama Bob. I've sent him a couple of emails over the past two weeks via his website but have had no responses. Is he still around or does he take a while to get back to you?

Long story short... I've been looking around for a panama hat for awhile now and honest to God I never thought that it would be an in depth process but here I am a couple of months later still hat-less. I'm from Australia and there are not really many buying opportunities here, not in my town anyway, so I've had to go online in order to find what I want. There are no doubt plenty of online retailers but I thought I might talk to Bob before making a final decision.

Thanks in advance...

Agree with you. I have a high wave count, very finely woven, great color patina Montecristi that was my dad's. He wore it since he got it in the 70s and after he died, 5 years ago, I've been wearing it. There's going to be a time, very soon I think, that this wonder of a hat is going to become my only, ever, display hat. It's becoming fragile and, although my wife had me insure it along with my piano and other stuff in the house, I'd never forgive myself if something happened to it. I'm seeing Graham from Optimo next Saturday here in NY at his trunk show. I'm going to have him look at it and assess the situation.

In this instance it is the historical or personal meaning of the hat that accounts for it to be worn only on special occasions, or not at all. I have a few hats that are old and in very fine condition that I would not wear out if the forecast called for possible rain, or if the temperatures were so hot that I would worry about damage from perspiration.

From my recent visit to Optimo, where the new Montecristi hats are selected for the beauty of their weave, it seems the price jump between expensive and very very expensive happens in the space between 25 and 30+ linear weaves per inch. Though it's only my guess, I would venture that the discretionary income of the buyer changes considerably between a $1500 and $10,000 hat, but that both would be purchased for wearing rather than display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou