Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Does anyone own a high weave count Monti hat, too good to wear, and keep it in a display case?

I remember an old friend of my father's, a regular of the one and only Jimmy Watson's wine bar in Melbourne. After he died of cancer, his hat remains permanently on display on a shelf slightly above eye level in the bar. As fine and fitting a memorial as one could hope to be remembered by ...

new2hats

A-List Customer
I find that concept sad.

I know there are collectors out there, but I really hope they actually wear their collection.

About like buying a Picasso, and keeping it in a vault.

The reason I ask is b/c PB is having a 25% sale. I am considering a 1700 wpi hat, which is over a $grand. That is about what my car is worth right now (this is partly by choice). I have some brisa weave hats and 1 nice fine MC from PB that I take from the box and admire-haven't worn it out yet. Want to have something up for display when 20 years from now the 'panama hat' is machine-made from China- oh come on we all know that will eventually happen... Something to hand down to my kids, a memory for them from an episode in my life "when dad was into panama hats" (birthday last week so looking at the inevitable). Wouldn't want to wear it cause the kids keep stepping on my hats or they get things on 'em (kids are 2, 4, and 6 years old). Thinking about encasing one in clear plastic display case, or hanging it up in the livingroom (will it collect dust and get ruined?) Just wondering what others do with that sentimental hat!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The reason I ask is b/c PB is having a 25% sale. I am considering a 1700 wpi hat, which is over a $grand. That is about what my car is worth right now (this is partly by choice). I have some brisa weave hats and 1 nice fine MC from PB that I take from the box and admire-haven't worn it out yet. Want to have something up for display when 20 years from now the 'panama hat' is machine-made from China- oh come on we all know that will eventually happen... Something to hand down to my kids, a memory for them from an episode in my life "when dad was into panama hats" (birthday last week so looking at the inevitable). Wouldn't want to wear it cause the kids keep stepping on my hats or they get things on 'em (kids are 2, 4, and 6 years old). Thinking about encasing one in clear plastic display case, or hanging it up in the livingroom (will it collect dust and get ruined?) Just wondering what others do with that sentimental hat!

If your living situation (ie young children or pets) might put the condition of ones hat in jepordy then I wouldn't buy something that's price would get in the way of using it. But if you want to spend the money and NOT use it, just go ahead, it is YOUR $s ! And depending on your houskeaping practices, a hat just hung on a wall will probably get dusty :)

barrowjh

One Too Many
new2hats, I empathize with your worry. The finest in my collection is only a 900 wpsi finished by Art Fawcett (body via PB) and it was not so expensive as you are considering, yet I hardly ever wear it. My purpose in getting this recent Fino:
Picture95.jpg

was to have a hat for everyday use. Here is a pic of the 900 wpsi (it is considerably higher wpsi in some parts of the hat):
051009006.jpg

Going all the way to 1700 wpsi is quite a stretch - 'museum' grade is relative, and 900 wpsi is plenty 'museum' for me.

new2hats

A-List Customer
Thanks for the photos, JB-- nice hats!

I like to wear them inside the house when it's cold out. I am cold natured, and one thing that will help me get through the colder weather here in SC is something on my head, now that some Fall weather has hit. I've tried baseball hats, and winter hats, but panamas feel the best- even better than fur felt, when indoors.

I haven't ordered anything new yet, but something is looming! Part of the reason that I have been ordering panama hats regularly is to contribute to the weavers, to the industry. I also contribute to some charity organizations as well, but this is more fun. Because I can right now. Not rich, but living well. I wonder, as far as contributing to the industry in E, is it better to buy the lower end hats regularly or the higher end hats occasionally?

barrowjh

One Too Many
Each of us has a different approach, but I buy mostly for what I want or need, and charity is an entirely different decision. As I get older, loathe to fill up the house with stuff I really did not want all that badly but purchased it just because it was a good charity. So, I do charity in cash and only buy things that I need or want, try not to confuse the two.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My latest PB Montecristi via Tom Gomez (TomnFerris hereon the Forum) out in California. It's a Medio Fino that Bob sent to Tom to do the blocking and finish work on it. He does absolutely FANTASTIC work. I'll be having Bob send my next Montecristi to him for sure !!

Brim up in back:

19870010.jpg

19870009.jpg

Brim down all around:

19870012.jpg

Inside sweat detail:

19870014.jpg

19870015.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Very nice hat 256!
Good job Robert and Tom.
By the way I really like the look with the brim down in back.
Check some of the vintage movies, that was a common look back then.

Thanks. I'm wearing it down all around and am liking it better that way . This one has a shorter brim than my other Optimo creased Monte which looks better snapped down in front.

RBH

Bartender
Thanks. I'm wearing it down all around and am liking it better that way . This one has a shorter brim than my other Optimo creased Monte which looks better snapped down in front.
I am finding that with the few shorter brim felts I have... I like them with the brim down all around better.
Now with straws I have always [kinda] liked them with the brim down in back.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Stop it you guys... I have a PB Monte at Tom's right now and you are going to convince to try that..

I don't know how well that will look on a semi colado though.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Stop it you guys... I have a PB Monte at Tom's right now and you are going to convince to try that..

I don't know how well that will look on a semi colado though.

Just try it. You can always flip it back up in the back if you don't like it but only if you let him NOT put stffener in the brim. Let it be soft and natural as a Panama SHOULD be :)

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I got this one a few weeks ago and posted it on the "post new hats", but I think it belongs in this thread:

Royal Stetson Panalite. Could be from the late 1940s, or early 50s is what I was told.

DSC03785.jpg

DSC03784.jpg

DSC03790.jpg

DSC03789.jpg

DSC03787.jpg

DSC03795.jpg

DSC03793.jpg

This is a style of finishing the sweatband where the cut (non-sewn) edge is turned (rolled) to the back. It was used on thinner flexible sweats and is an indicator of age. I am thinking your hat is early 1940's... a fine catch!

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
This is a style of finishing the sweatband where the cut (non-sewn) edge is turned (rolled) to the back. It was used on thinner flexible sweats and is an indicator of age. I am thinking your hat is early 1940's... a fine catch!

Oh, ok. I will check today when I get home from work. If its from early 40s thats awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic