Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Resistol Cuenca Homburg

A rather unusual item, I'd say. A coarse weave on a dressier type of hat.
The brim edge is stitched, not back-woven. The straw has aged to a golden color. The black ribbon has an unusual texture of vertical lines.

P1050256.jpg

P1050261.jpg

P1050259.jpg

P1050258.jpg

P1050262.jpg

P1050263.jpg

P1050264.jpg

P1050265.jpg

P1050266.jpg

The reeded sweat has stitchings going over the reed:

P1050268-Kopie.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Rabbit, I think Jeff ( bowlerman) has not a Homburg but a Derby or Melone.
would like to see how it looks on the head.

Good memory, Manfred! I have 2 straw bowlers, one a unique Bailey and the other custom by Texas Hatters. Both are rather coarse weaves, the latter is brisa (2 to 1 open weave?) pattern.

Rabbit-- this Resistol is one to covet! Beautiful form. Modern straw homburgs I've seen have only appeared to be shantung, extremely stiff, and the brims look like monster trucks in comparison to that very refined roll you display here.

Alan-- I can't imagine not leaving Optimo with one of his rolled brim straws, after seeing the photos Al took on his trip to Chicago-- just perfect 10s all around, it seemed.

Last edited:
Alan-- I can't imagine not leaving Optimo with one of his rolled brim straws, after seeing the photos Al took on his trip to Chicago-- just perfect 10s all around, it seemed.

The collection of straws at Optimo is superb. I have yet to buy a modern hat from a custom hatter. I admire them, but the old hats interest me more.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Rabbit; Congrats on the new panamas. Wear them comfortably in the warm weather sir! The second is very unique. The stiched rolled edge is very cool. Indeed the coarse weave and the ribbon details combine to make a very classy panama. A linen jacket, gaberdines and summer leather dress shoes, tickets to the theater and the panama you ARE the dapper man of town!:eusa_clap

Seriousely, very nice panamas. Eric -

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Two more views of the Resistol Cuenca Homburg (this time with flash), showing the both tighter and larger weave rows on the brim near the crown/brim break and at the rolled edge. A construction analogue (sort of) to some Boater weave designs.
Blow up the pics in a separate window to see it in more detail.

P1050274.jpg

P1050275.jpg

Still looking for a Panama at the right price. This one looks good: http://www.villagehatshop.com/bailey-panama-hats-fedora.html

It's apparently a real straw, not shantung; has a higher crown than most modern hats, at 4 3/8", and a moderate brim, at 2 3/8"; and comes in real sizes. I'm not sure I like the two-tone ribbon, but it's striking. Anybody have one of these?

How about this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPI...694103379?pt=US_Hats&var=&hash=item7b68aaaa88

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, James,

It's a great price, and I've sent him a note, but it appears he doesn't have my size of 7, or even close -- I can wear some 6 7/8, and some 7 1/8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy