Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Think so? How come?

The liner logo. This one is what I'd put in the 30's-WWll.
nra001.jpg

US Patent office Reg#0333198 first use Aug 1930

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here is the most unusual vintage Stetson panama hat I’ve ever come across. It has the elements of a fedora, an optimo, and a porkie. I like the black faille ribbon with its one horizontal white pinstripe. It’s lined all around with netting (a detail more common to straw boaters); the lining inside the crown’s top is silk, and the Stetson logo is embroidered on it in silk thread.

From the 1930s? Earlier? Maybe Loungers can place a date on this lid. (There's no paper Stetson size label.) I’ve never heard of the Philadelphia hat store that sold it. Labeled size is 7 1/8, but the hat fits like a snug 7 1/4.

Ended auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190621173178

Pan4.jpg

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

Pan3.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

Pan2.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Exquisite Panama, Marc. :eusa_clap

The condition, weave, lines, and trimmings are quite extraordinary, and it looks great on you as well. Appears to be of '30s and possibly '20s vintage. Stylistically it shares some similarities with an old Panama of mine, which I believe to be of later vintage:

Annixter

Practically Family
I just received my first straw and almost straw: an Adam Milan and a late-model Churchill Shantung Panama, both with 2" brims.

The Adam is gorgeous and in mint condition aside from some indentations in the sweatband from a sharp-edged block of some sort on which the hat spent time. I suspect they will come out with wear and time, although whatever the block was nicked the cloth bead of the sweatband in one small place that removed the finish a bit. I couldn't get an accurate color on the ribbon and brim trimmings, but it's a medium cafe and olive green Rayon with diagonal striped accents.

The Churchill is also in wonderful condition. I take it's vintage to be somewhere late '70s - '90s. I was looking for something to wear on a daily basis once summer arrives, so I won't have a problem beating it. I need to do a little steam work on the brim to remove some wrinkles at the snap.

AdamMilan1.jpg

AdamMilan3.jpg

AdamMilan2.jpg

AdamMilan4.jpg

Churchill1.jpg

Churhill3-1.jpg

Churchill2.jpg

Last edited:

mojohand

New in Town
Hi,

I'd just like to get people's thoughts on this Panama hat and if it's worth $112. If not what would be a reasonable price.

It is an extra fino cuenca.

My main concerns are the sewn brim and weave inconsistency.

Comments welcome....

EFC1.jpg

EFC3.jpg

EFC4.jpg
]

EFC5.jpg

EFC6.jpg

EFC7.jpg

EFC8.jpg

EFC9.jpg

EFC10.jpg

EFC11.jpg

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Hi mojohound, I hate to say it but I think you overpaid for the hat. You can get a much better quality Cuenca from Panama Bob for half the price. If it's not too late or complicated to send it back I'd do it. I have a knock around Cuenca from PB that I paid $25 for that has a finer and more consistent weave. The sewn brim is typical for low to medium tiered Cuencas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy