Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
OG - That is a great hat. Maybe one day I'll be able to order one like that for myself.

Thanks for the compliment and you will be surprised how fast that day comes along.....

Once the bug has bitten it spreads like wildfire throughout your whole being....:D

But working with Robert and Tom make it easier on you and your wallet and you get a better than average hat for the money......

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Stetson Medalist Genuine Palm Braid

DSC04273.jpg

DSC04280.jpg

DSC04281.jpg

DSC04277.jpg

DSC04275.jpg

Thanks Randall.

There is a scalloped edge size sticker at the back of the sweatband which I've seen on Italian made straw hats.That, and the weave makes me wonder if this could be Italian woven wheat grass and not toquilla straw? Hmmm.

Thanks for calling my attention to this.
Got two for the sons and one for me. At that price it makes sense to even buy them for the youngsters. :p
I had two done with the leather sweat and one without. The one for the three year old without as he isn't going to hand it down to anyone when he outgrows it. :p
I did mention that the wider the brim the better. :D

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I just got my 15 dollar special in from bob. I am quite happy with it but have a question. It is much more fkexiible than my other panama is that because of the grade? Is the mre firm the hat the better the hat? Here r some pics it is ivory with two tone brown band
IMG_20111229_161127.jpg
IMG_20111229_161118.jpg
IMG_20111229_161038.jpg

Old Buzzard

New in Town
These $15.00 hats are by no means a high quality hat, but a very good hat for money spent. Lighter finer texture beats heavy course texture any time for me.
You may be able to use a stiffner spray if too floppy for you.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Trouble with the finer hats is that they are useless if you get a summer shower or when they start to flop and you get the Sean Connery look. They then need reflanging and it is never the same.

I just got my 15 dollar special in from bob. I am quite happy with it but have a question. It is much more fkexiible than my other panama is that because of the grade? Is the mre firm the hat the better the hat? Here r some pics it is ivory with two tone brown band
IMG_20111229_161127.jpg
IMG_20111229_161118.jpg
IMG_20111229_161038.jpg

A panama should be flexible. That is the comfort factor they give. The weave will flex even if it is very fine. Cloth flexes even when it is finely woven as well.
Many companies--even in the golden age----stiffened the heck out of their hats so that they would keep their shape for quite a long time. That also tends to make them brittle as they get older and the straw dries a bit. Of course we all know to keep the straw in conditions that will keep them from drying out but nonetheless, straw gets dry. I have straw hats that are stiff but I much prefer the flexible straw even if I have to shape it up once in a while. :D

Oh and it looks great on you. I look forward to getting mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto