Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Montecristi Panama Optimo 17x21 (350wpsi)

Probably 1930s, judging from the sweatband. What a find! Perfect fit!

P1050709.jpg

P1050711.jpg

P1050728.jpg

P1050805.jpg

P1050734.jpg

P1050748.jpg

P1050747.jpg

The sweatband has an enforced front section to prevent sweat from migrating through the leather and into the straw, similar to Borsalino's feature but executed in a different manner: It's done with what appears to be an extra layer of leather.

P1050803.jpg

P1050798.jpg

The shot below shows the sweatband at the front/side where the additional layer begins.

P1050798-Kopie.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Gordon!

There is some whitish dried dirt all over the hat, especially at the brim towards the edge and at the Optimo line/crease. For lack of a better word, I would compare its consistency with dried white paint. It's somehow as if the hat had accumulated lots of dirt from being covered by debris, if the analogy helps to describe it. The whitish stuff is apparently what makes the hat more rigid as well.

P1050743.jpg

P1050746.jpg

Any ideas what it might be? I can wear it as it is, but perhaps it can be washed off? I've seen the same debris on other vintage Panamas - this one has quite a handful of it.

Any recommendations, Gentlemen?

Very handsome form on your new panama, Rabbit. I'm not sure what that white powder is... I've also found it on vintage panamas in varying degrees, such as this recently acquisition that I haven't posted here yet.

kenedys1.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Probably 1930s, judging from the sweatband. What a find! Perfect fit!

P1050709.jpg

Rabbit, AWESOME panama Optimo crown. It has a beautiful crown block with the very tall and straight sides. I LOVE IT!! Congrats!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

There is some whitish dried dirt all over the hat, especially at the brim towards the edge and at the Optimo line/crease. For lack of a better word, I would compare its consistency with dried white paint. It's somehow as if the hat had accumulated lots of dirt from being covered by debris, if the analogy helps to describe it. The whitish stuff is apparently what makes the hat more rigid as well.

Any ideas what it might be? I can wear it as it is, but perhaps it can be washed off? I've seen the same debris on other vintage Panamas - this one has quite a handful of it.

Very handsome form on your new panama, Rabbit. I'm not sure what that white powder is... I've also found it on vintage panamas in varying degrees, such as this recently acquisition that I haven't posted here yet.

Very early in this thread, that white stuff was referred to as the "WHITE TREATMENT." I guess it was used because authentic Panama straws are not actually white, they are an off white due to the sulfur used in the bleaching process. Many years ago, a substance that was kind of like white paint was used to make the hat "whiter." I would contact Dinerman, because I know he received an old Stetson Panama with the white treatment on it and was able to remove most of it. The hat weighed quite a bit less. Here's the quotes from earlier in the thread.....

This one is on the way, unfortunately, I won't be able to post pictures of it for two weeks.

52a5_1.jpg

5a0f_1.jpg

4f72_1-1.jpg

5639_1.jpg

I managed to strip off most of the white treatment that had been put on this one. It looks much better now, and weighs about half what it did.

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the nice comments, Ale, Alan & Josh.
I'll contact Dinerman - thanks for the tip, Josh! That must be just the stuff. Dinerman's comment in the quote above about the hat weighing only half after removing the stuff sounds very very much like, as does the description (and the original purpose) of it. It's too consistently applied to be just some dirt that actually shouldn't be there.

Wow... half the weight... it must have been a lead based paint! :rolleyes:

Here are some pictures of my recent panama. The crown needed blocking and there are a few areas where the straw is creased but not broken. Weave is not as even as some of my other vintage panamas, in the 450-500 wpi range. I now have 3 straw hats from Peoria, Illinois - each from different retail stores.

kenedys3.jpg

kenedys2.jpg

kenedys4.jpg

kenedys5.jpg

kenedys6.jpg

kenedys7.jpg

kenedys1.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Wow... half the weight... it must have been a lead based paint! :rolleyes:

Here are some pictures of my recent panama. The crown needed blocking and there are a few areas where the straw is creased but not broken. Weave is not as even as some of my other vintage panamas, in the 450-500 wpi range. I now have 3 straw hats from Peoria, Illinois - each from different retail stores.

kenedys3.jpg

Very nice, Alan! I'm glad that one came out nice. Its pretty exciting to have 3 Panamas from Peoria, a bit more exciting than the town itself.......

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I now have 3 straw hats from Peoria, Illinois - each from different retail stores.

Must be a nest there in the vicinity.

Very nicely blocked, Alan!

Here's a picture of the Optimo line at the crown front, showing the accumulation of the whitish paint-like stuff along the crease. Knowing about the white treatment's purpose, it's interesting to see that the crease's "wind shadow" got so much more of the stuff.
Edit: Coming to think of it, the crease area could be where the excess white treatment didn't get worn OFF.

P1050726.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I asked Dinerman about how he removed the white treatment, here's his reply which I'm posting for the record (thanks, Dinerman!):

I used a Mr. Clean magic eraser. Just give it a light scrub with a damp one of those and it should take care of most of it without damaging the straw. Just be careful of the dripping "white" , because it will stain. Take special care in regards to the ribbon.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
MG]

It's most likely corn starch variation Rabbit . This would indicate to me you are right on your dating of the hat. Back then the hatter would make up a paste & work it into the hat to make it whiter and stiffer. Please don't try to wash it out or it will be an all summer project. I tried many times when I was in the Vintage biz and was never completely successful. Just wear & enjoy!! What it leaves is a somewhat "blotchy" surface

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
It's most likely corn starch variation Rabbit . This would indicate to me you are right on your dating of the hat. Back then the hatter would make up a paste & work it into the hat to make it whiter and stiffer. Please don't try to wash it out or it will be an all summer project. I tried many times when I was in the Vintage biz and was never completely successful. Just wear & enjoy!! What it leaves is a somewhat "blotchy" surface

Thank you for the detailed info, Art!
I'll follow your advice and wear the hat as it is. Since the hatters back in the day used this paste, there's no reason for me to try and remove it anyway.

An interesting side effect of the paste (at least I ascribe it to the paste) is that this particular hat looks more like a 500-600 wpsi than a 350 wpsi. The "spaces" in between the actual "knots" (for lack of a better word) are covered with the paste.
It helps, of course, that it is very evenly woven.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Penney's panama. I believe, by the little bits of fiber sticking out on the inside of the crown, that this one is actual toquilla treated with something that made it whiter and stiff as a cracker. Nevertheless, it's still light and I'm sure it'll be airy inside ;) It came with a purple pug that I diligently replaced with a black one.

A-2.jpg

B-2.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic