Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Did you actually handled similar hats from the other suppliers and came to the conclusion that they were better? Or are you basing your opinion on visual documentation posted here or other online places?

My favorite hats are Panama's. I've bought them from MANY retailers over the past 30+ years. I started aquiring them from PB a little over 5 years ago. For the same $s I have gotten BETTER hats from Bob than what I had gotten from the other retailers in the past. This was from both B&M shops and mail-order. My budget has had a limit ($200.00) to it which has ruled out some e-tailers whose hats START above my limit so I cannot compare. Just my experience :)

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I think you make a good point about Panama Bob while I only have one hat in my posession from him (I have two on the way) I can tell you he does great work. My first Panama was 80 somthing dollars and is stiff as all get out and I feel it is an inferior hat to the one I have from Bob that cost me 15 bucks :)

Mark Butcher

Familiar Face
I have one of Bob's sale hats for $40.88 with (leather band and shipping). I am in Hawaii and there are Panamas for sale here and there on Oahu, and they range from $36.00 to over $100.00. The hat from Bob is better than any hat I have seen for sale here or on anyone's head!

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
1930s Montecristi Optimo 33x36 (1150+ wpsi), 4 1/4" crown, 2 5/8" brim

The high count Montecristi I had mentioned earlier in this thread when I posted the 600 wpsi Vintage Optimo has finally arrived.
A very fine piece of work! The 2 1/8" wide sweatband, the frayed black ribbon, the Initial "J" imprint font and the size sticker at the non-stitched backseam make me guesstimate the date to early 1930s or perhaps even late 20s.
It fits very well, so I will definitely wear it.

P1050402.jpg

P1050396.jpg

P1050401.jpg

P1050394.jpg

P1050395.jpg

P1050411.jpg

P1050412.jpg

Vertical and horizontal count with a metric tape (2.54cm = 1"):

P1050400.jpg

P1050398.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
The brim is still a bit wavy, but it responds very well to shaping.

After a quick steaming, brim snapped down (the above pics are after steaming, too):

P1050410.jpg

P1050409.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
A one inch wide rip at the crown will need to be fixed with a suitable tape as the one suggested by rlk here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?47583-Best-way-to-repair-a-cracked-panama

Sending it in for re-weaving would have the disadvantage of subjecting the hat to possible further damage during transits, so even though I'd favour this solution I suppose the hat will be better off if I don't send it in.

I'll have to find a source for the suggested acid-free Linen Hinging Tape, as amazon.com unfortunately won't send this item to Germany.

Any suggestions from loungers in Europe?

P1050403.jpg

P1050404.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Here is the only kind of tape I could get that might work, judging from the way it sticks to the finger. The problem is that I don't know the composition of the adhesive.
It's a glass-fibre tape with one adhesive side used for fixing cracks in walls before repapering them.

Any thoughts?

My main concern is penetration of the adhesive through the straw weave - in the long run. Plus, a possible damage to the straw due to acids which the adhesive might conatin.

P1050428.jpg

with flash, showing the glass fibres:

P1050433.jpg

without flash:

P1050435.jpg

against the light - the tape is very thin and flexible:

P1050434.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I finally mustered up the courage to use the above mentioned tape in order to fix the rip in the weave.
So far, no problems with the adhesive. Also, the tape holds extremely well and conforms to the crown shape like silk.

P1050436.jpg

P1050437.jpg

P1050439.jpg

P1050441.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Alan and Al!

+1... very nice! If it were to be a problem at all, staining from acid in the tape adhesive would take years to migrate through and be visible from the front of the hat. You'll have 60 optimos to choose from by that time. 8^D

Good to know. I am sort of the long term type, though... lol

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I finally mustered up the courage to use the above mentioned tape in order to fix the rip in the weave.
So far, no problems with the adhesive. Also, the tape holds extremely well and conforms to the crown shape like silk.

P1050436.jpg

P1050437.jpg

P1050439.jpg

P1050441.jpg

I wonder if you could use some off white colored thread and sew that rip a bit?

Mystic

Practically Family
A one inch wide rip at the crown will need to be fixed with a suitable tape as the one suggested by rlk here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?47583-Best-way-to-repair-a-cracked-panama

Sending it in for re-weaving would have the disadvantage of subjecting the hat to possible further damage during transits, so even though I'd favour this solution I suppose the hat will be better off if I don't send it in.

I'll have to find a source for the suggested acid-free Linen Hinging Tape, as amazon.com unfortunately won't send this item to Germany.

Any suggestions from loungers in Europe?

P1050403.jpg

P1050404.jpg

This may be very obvious....but, I don't see it.

You said "sending it in for re-weaving".....How would someone go about re-weaving a tear like that?
Would a section be removed and a new section be woven in or would the area around the tear be un-woven and new straw pieces be woven in starting a small distance away from the torn area?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if you could use some off white colored thread and sew that rip a bit?

Repairing a Panama with needle & thread is not an option, as far as I know. It would only make matters worse, I'm afraid.

This may be very obvious....but, I don't see it.

You said "sending it in for re-weaving".....How would someone go about re-weaving a tear like that?
Would a section be removed and a new section be woven in or would the area around the tear be un-woven and new straw pieces be woven in starting a small distance away from the torn area?

Haven't got the faintest, actually. I can only assume that it's the latter of what you said. I don't know where the size limit for a repairable rip would be, or whether there is any limit (within reason).
Of course, one first needs to find a weaver who is willing and able to perform such a repair job. With the finer Panamas, this is not a job that could be done by any weaver.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Edit:
On the topic of how re-weaving might be accomplished:

When a wever is done with weaving one Panama, there are still loose ends of long toquilla fibers all over the hat. In order to finish the hat, these fibers have to be woven to the inside of the crown and then secured; the brim edge is backwoven onto itself. In other words, a Panama hat is woven from a large number of single fibers (the fine hats especially so, for obvious reasons). With this in mind, it is less difficult to imagine that new fibers might still be woven into a ripped hat once the fibers adjacent to the rip are loosened.

Mystic

Practically Family
Edit:
On the topic of how re-weaving might be accomplished:

When a wever is done with weaving one Panama, there are still loose ends of long toquilla fibers all over the hat. In order to finish the hat, these fibers have to be woven to the inside of the crown and then secured; the brim edge is backwoven onto itself. In other words, a Panama hat is woven from a large number of single fibers (the fine hats especially so, for obvious reasons). With this in mind, it is less difficult to imagine that new fibers might still be woven into a ripped hat once the fibers adjacent to the rip are loosened.

This seems to me to be the most feasible. and the least noticeable.

Yep... it would have to be a someone well versed in the Art of weaving.

I have a feeling you will find out the answer.....if not for repairing your own hat...just for the sake of acquiring further knowledge about Panamas.

Last edited:

Txmason

Familiar Face
Thank you!

I would like to say a big thank you to Mr. Weber of panamas.biz my hat arrived today and I really like it! You run a great business! Do you have any hats that have a wider brim? I noticed the one I have has a short and looks small on me. Since I have a big round face. Any suggestions for another hat with a wider brim like a fedora style panama?

Thank you again:). Anyone wishing to find a great hat please visit:

www.panamas.biz

Jerry

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy