Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

WineGuy

A-List Customer
2% hydrogen peroxide bath for 24 hours. I'm an expert on this, see my thread from a year and a half ago when I spilled founten pen ink on my Montecristi. I tried everything from Oxiclean to Goof Off and half a dozen other cleaners and none did a thing. The HP not only took 90% of the ink stain out it also cleaned all the sweat and dirt stains out leaving the hat looking like the day I received it from PB.

Of course you will have to remove your head band and sweat band, best done by local hat shop.

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
2% hydrogen peroxide bath for 24 hours. I'm an expert on this, see my thread from a year and a half ago when I spilled founten pen ink on my Montecristi. I tried everything from Oxiclean to Goof Off and half a dozen other cleaners and none did a thing. The HP not only took 90% of the ink stain out it also cleaned all the sweat and dirt stains out leaving the hat looking like the day I received it from PB.

Of course you will have to remove your head band and sweat band, best done by local hat shop.

+1 .... Depending on how bad it is I have had good success using a little heavier amount of peroxide with a washcloth using it in circular pattern and give it about 10min to set then use same tech. with distilled water. Works great for small sweat stains and spots without soaking the whole hat.

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
Here is my new hat, a Panama from Magill I purchased it at Stollerys in Toronto.

DSCF0057.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

panama red

New in Town
Actually I have been diagnosed with throat cancer and am about to start a 7 week rigorous radiation treatment. They suggested I wear a hat...... there is a god and I am being told to get hats!!! 5 off ebay this week and 2 bids in alleluha!!!1
Honestly, you do not really need to have a hat, unless it is for preventing skin cancer from sun exposure, its for your job, or your name is Perry the Platypus.

Any hat you have is a luxury; an accessory, especially one that is hand made in a different country. I do have a bunch of backup hats myself, and a few nice ones for dinners, etc. Sometimes it is the old beater that is sorely missed when gone, and many times the nice ones are too nice to wear.

I do agree that one can get obsessed with buying many hats, as I myself am in that same boat. After having at least 20 panama hats, I find that I stick to a few of the usuals, and the others will either go on my 'Wall of Hats' or for my kids after I pass one day.

I say, if you want it, and can- buy it and enjoy it! But know that there are some who cannot afford even one and you are blessed to even be able to have this dilemma...

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Actually I have been diagnosed with throat cancer and am about to start a 7 week rigorous radiation treatment. They suggested I wear a hat...... there is a god and I am being told to get hats!!! 5 off ebay this week and 2 bids in alleluha!!!1

God bless Red!

Stay strong & keep us up to date, eh?

(and here I thought all you did was "empty my wallet & ^#$@-up my head!" ;) )

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Here's mine. Originally posted in the Removing Stains thread.
My Mayser, bought it 3 years back. Fit and finish is excellent, I love it.

P5260001.jpg

German make, though I do not know if it is woven in Ecuador.
I was looking for a decent sun hat on the Costa Del Sol Spain during a holiday. Found this high end gentleman's shop in Nerja and they ordered this in specially for me within a couple of days from their shop in Madrid, hows that for service.
Johnny

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab

P5260001.jpg

I was looking for a decent sun hat on the Costa Del Sol Spain during a holiday. Found this high end gentleman's shop in Nerja and they ordered this in specially for me within a couple of days from their shop in Madrid, hows that for service.
Johnny

Looks real sharp!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab

P5260001.jpg

Johnny

What's the bottom under the crown look like? The square makes me think Colombia, Peru, or Chinese paper. I hope it's one of the former.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Seems that Aureliano really left the Lounge for good...

Yes he did. Or rather, he won't frequent the Lounge within the foreseeable future - which is sad. However, it was an understandable decision that should be respected.

Mitral

New in Town
Yes he did. Or rather, he won't frequent the Lounge within the foreseeable future - which is sad. However, it was an understandable decision that should be respected.

Sad indeed. I've been reading many threads trying to get "caught up" on multiple topics. His words remain, but his images are sorely missed.....

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My Mayser Panama

What's the bottom under the crown look like? The square makes me think Colombia, Peru, or Chinese paper. I hope it's one of the former.

Here' is a pic of the underside of my Mayser.
Looking at the prices of similar genuine Panama's, I would say this is a very nice hat if you are on a budget, the price in Spain was around €100 . I could not justify paying $1500 or more for a hat so this is fine for me though it would be nice to find it was made south of the border so to speak.
I know traditional Panama's can be folded but I'm not sure how this would react to being crushed up or sat on for example. A friend had one from a London Piccadilly gentlemans outfitters that rolled up into a tube and could be stuffed in a suitcase with no loss of shape.
This hat looks well made with no hanging or loose fibres or stitching under the brim.

P5280009.jpg

P5280011.jpg

Only time will tell to the quality of construction, there are no 'Made in' labels so I have no idea of country of origin.
Johnny Tee

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Here' is a pic of the underside of my Mayser.
Looking at the prices of similar genuine Panama's, I would say this is a very nice hat if you are on a budget, the price in Spain was around €100 . I could not justify paying $1500 or more for a hat so this is fine for me though it would be nice to find it was made south of the border so to speak.
I know traditional Panama's can be folded but I'm not sure how this would react to being crushed up or sat on for example. A friend had one from a London Piccadilly gentlemans outfitters that rolled up into a tube and could be stuffed in a suitcase with no loss of shape.
This hat looks well made with no hanging or loose fibres or stitching under the brim.

P5280009.jpg

P5280011.jpg

Only time will tell to the quality of construction, there are no 'Made in' labels so I have no idea of country of origin.
Johnny Tee

I think it's paper, not plant. It's only an opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic