Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I know Panamas are supposed to be light and floppy, but this is ridiculous! Mine blew off my head yesterday right into the middle of a busy crossroad! And it was barely a strong wind. Fortunately, the traffic and wind cooperated enough for me to run out and snatch it up again without damage to me, or the hat.

Methinks a wind-trolley might be a necessity here...

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
As it seems customary, Mr Weber. You found an attack to your persona where there wasn't one. I am, as most of us here in this forum and thread, aware that these hats are hand made; an artisan product, and as such will never be perfect. Montecristis are beautiful with their subtle imperfections. You contacting people in Ecuador to validate this, seems a bit unnecessary and has offended an artisan as you state. My comment was about my particular hat and Mr Palacios' ability to select well finished hats. The fact that you took that as an attack on your persona says more about you, I think, than what it says about Palacios and hat finishing in general. For the record, you too, I wholeheartedly believe, are capable of picking beautifully finished hats. You are a man with a lot of experience and your words and knowledge are highly regarded by folks who come to this thread. I want to ask you, publicly, to please stop feeling attacked by me. I have nothing against you. I only wish you well. I wish you success and prosperity. We have had discrepancies and disagreements, sure, but that's all and it is valid. Nothing else. Nothing beyond. Nothing in between. Believe me, If I have something to tell you or if I ever wanted to "attack" you, I will do it directly and not camouflaging words.

That being said, I also have to add that posting in this thread, because of this type of paranoia, is becoming increasingly unpleasant. I love this joint but I'm seriously considering stepping out for good. All this distasteful stuff is just disappointing. Bartenders, if I may beg you, please leave this statement here for all to read as I want folks to know my standing in regard to Mr. Weber. Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words. It's not paranoia. You have a habit of criticizing the remate (back-weave) on many hats that have been posted here that happened to have run through my hands. You critique that remate and then tell me that I don't have good quality control. You then post this quote: "Brim edge finished to perfection, round and symmetrical, as they certainly can be made/commissioned and picked by careful/OCD hatters" with a little smiley face. Yes, I think it was intended for me. I'm entitled to that opinion. Why else would you write it that way and put the little smiley face there?

You can stay, I'm happy to answer emails.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
The smiley face was because I was proud of my hat. If I wanted to attack you I would have used this ;) much more appropriate. Also if you go back, you can see that I edited the post and removed said smiley the day after, anticipating this sort of stuff from you. I "criticize" sloppy brims from you and any other hatter who shows them if I feel that it's relevant to the conversation. I, on a private message to a fellow lounger, just criticized a brim by Graham Thompson (yes, the fella from Optimo). From one of my own Montecristis, that came a bit sloppy. I made sure Mr Thompson knew about it as well.
I've removed all pictures--from this thread and every other-- so you don't feel attacked by me any longer. End of the story, at least from my end. I'm on my way out. I also ask you, publicly, to refrain from writing to my personal email address as you have done in the past, in any way and specially using the kind of disrespectful, derogatory language you have applied. Please do not do it. This ends here.

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
OK gents....lets let it end.
Robert, I have met you and consider you a 'friend'.
Ale, I have not met you yet but also consider you a friend as we have had several 'deals' together.
I do not want either of you to leave this joint.
Please consider all both of you have 'given' the Lounge and try to not poke [a good southern term] each other to anger.
I say this to both of you on behalf of the Lounge in general.
You both are well respected and are needed here.
Thanks for hearing me out.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
The smiley face was because I was proud of my hat. If I wanted to attack you I would have used this ;) much more appropriate. Also if you go back, you can see that I edited the post and removed said smiley the day after, anticipating this sort of stuff from you. I "criticize" sloppy brims from you and any other hatter who shows them if I feel that it's relevant to the conversation. I, on a private message to a fellow lounger, just criticized a brim by Graham Thompson (yes, the fella from Optimo). From one of my own Montecristis, that came a bit sloppy. I made sure Mr Thompson knew about it as well.
I've removed all pictures--from this thread and every other-- so you don't feel attacked by me any longer. End of the story, at least from my end. I'm on my way out. I also ask you, publicly, to refrain from writing to my personal email address as you have done in the past, in any way and specially using the kind of disrespectful, derogatory language you have applied. Please do not do it. This ends here.

I'll post my emails on the website so it is public. It's much more benign than you're implyhing. I pointed out that you called a Montecristi a Cuenca and I called you a jerk.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Being today is May the 15th (isn't that the traditional day we go from felts to Panamas?) I just ordered a couple of nice little center dents from PanamaBob's ebay page...one for me and one for my paralegal. You gotta love PanamaBob. Great hats for a very reasonable price. Wear them with a summer suit or mow the grass in them. No worries...just wear the heck out of them all summer, like our grandfathers did...

AF

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Being today is May the 15th (isn't that the traditional day we go from felts to Panamas?) I just ordered a couple of nice little center dents from PanamaBob's ebay page...one for me and one for my paralegal. You gotta love PanamaBob. Great hats for a very reasonable price. Wear them with a summer suit or mow the grass in them. No worries...just wear the heck out of them all summer, like our grandfathers did...

AF

I have always (well- for five years) been happy as a clam when ordering from PB. Never a disappointment. In fact his "Indiana" model of a few years back is my 'go to' Panama..

For instance - a few years ago I ordered a grey Cuenca, when he found he was unable to find a gray in my size- he sent me enough Panamas to give one to my entire family!

In my humble opossum, he is on the bubble (level), a straight shooter & a good egg.

And, honestly, I didn't see Mr. Gold's (Aureliano) comment as a slam- but there is clearly a history here.

At any rate- both of ya'll are significant & informative members- please don't decamp.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Agreeing with Mr. Blaine - value you both. I've never bought a hat from PB that was not a fair deal, and sometimes a downright 'steal.' PB is the only resource that allows us some flexibility to experiment; a precious resource for many of us.

MisterKen

New in Town
Looking at getting my first Panama. In the $200 range, which would be the nicer hat... A 'bottom of the line' Montecristi, or a grade 20 Llano Cuenco?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are Bailey Panamas worth buying? They seem to be the only ones I see in local stores.

Find what you like locally & get it from ePay for, 25% of the MSRP- about what they are worth.

Looking at getting my first Panama. In the $200 range, which would be the nicer hat... A 'bottom of the line' Montecristi, or a grade 20 Llano Cuenco?

[huh] ...good question.

And hiya Ken- greetings from Knox-vegas.:biggrin:

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab

If you like a taller crowned hat, go for the Cuenca in natural or semi-natural. If not, go for the Montecristi. You'll find more uniform weave, surprisingly, in the Cuenca. The more years I learn about these hats, the better I like the Cuenca hats. I smell a marketing rat out there that made the prices rise for Montecristi. I'm still awaiting some supefine samples from Cuenca that I commissioned last year. I just commissioned some superfine from 2 other S. American countries, so let's hope we have some competition to Montecristi.

new2hats

A-List Customer
One thing that I love about the Monticristi hats compared to the Cuenca is that sulfur smell- LOVE it. I guess I am weird, but sometimes I just pickup a hat from its box just to admire and take in the smell of some of my nicer Monticristis. I hope it never goes away!

dnjan

One Too Many
minimum number of Panamas?

So how many panama hats are the minimum number necessary?

For felts, my (never accused of being humble) opinion is that 8 is the minimum: 1) an everyday, 2) a "coat and tie", 3) a back-up good felt (close to the "coat and tie") for when your good felt gets soaked in the rain and is drying out, 4), 5), and 6) repeat of the above in an alternate colour base - for example if the first three are in greys, the second three would be in browns, 7) a black homburg for eveningwear, and 8) a lightweight felt for summer when you don't want to get your good panama rained on.

But, not counting "collector mode", I don't think as many are required in straw.
Currently, I have 1) a Stetson palm-fiber (OK, not a real straw, but it fits the season and works well in Seattle on those cooler, "straw-season" days), 2) a cheap, everyday panama, and 3) a nice panama (PanamaBob, blocked and finished by Art).

I think I need one more - a hat for really warm, sunny weather. Probably a semicalado.

Am I overlooking anything?

Of course I will probably end up owning more than 4 straws, (I have more than 8 felts), but for now I am just trying to take care of necessities.

Thanks for your advice,

BR Gordon

One Too Many

For felts, my (never accused of being humble) opinion is that 8 is the minimum: 1) an everyday, 2) a "coat and tie", 3) a back-up good felt (close to the "coat and tie") for when your good felt gets soaked in the rain and is drying out, 4), 5), and 6) repeat of the above in an alternate colour base - for example if the first three are in greys, the second three would be in browns, 7) a black homburg for eveningwear, and 8) a lightweight felt for summer when you don't want to get your good panama rained on.

But, not counting "collector mode", I don't think as many are required in straw.
Currently, I have 1) a Stetson palm-fiber (OK, not a real straw, but it fits the season and works well in Seattle on those cooler, "straw-season" days), 2) a cheap, everyday panama, and 3) a nice panama (PanamaBob, blocked and finished by Art).

I think I need one more - a hat for really warm, sunny weather. Probably a semicalado.

Of course I will probably end up owning more than 4 straws, (I have more than 8 felts), but for now I am just trying to take care of necessities.

Thanks for your advice,

The minimum number of hats is such a personal thing. For me the number changes every time I see a new hat that I must have. I guess that the absolute number would be one less than would cause a divorce.

dnjan

One Too Many
So lets say I am trying to justify that next purchase to the spouse ...

I agree, there are hats I must have. But what is necessary as opposed to simply needed?

new2hats

A-List Customer

I agree, there are hats I must have. But what is necessary as opposed to simply needed?

Honestly, you do not really need to have a hat, unless it is for preventing skin cancer from sun exposure, its for your job, or your name is Perry the Platypus.

Any hat you have is a luxury; an accessory, especially one that is hand made in a different country. I do have a bunch of backup hats myself, and a few nice ones for dinners, etc. Sometimes it is the old beater that is sorely missed when gone, and many times the nice ones are too nice to wear.

I do agree that one can get obsessed with buying many hats, as I myself am in that same boat. After having at least 20 panama hats, I find that I stick to a few of the usuals, and the others will either go on my 'Wall of Hats' or for my kids after I pass one day.

I say, if you want it, and can- buy it and enjoy it! But know that there are some who cannot afford even one and you are blessed to even be able to have this dilemma...

Thanks for your advice,

About forty or fifty ought to do nicely. How much room do you have? I should have asked that first I suppose. :p
My son picked up a straw pith helmet as an estate sale yesterday. Kind of funny really. The woman saw we were all wearing hats so she brought down her father/grandfather's hats from the closet. We took all the decent ones. $3? Sure! :D

Well you certainly need one of every style so you have the homburg shape, pith helmet, fedora, planter, telescope crown, optimo, tall crown, short crown, milan, montecristi, cuenca( one of each variety), The duplex(half straw, half felt) and a few others that some will fill in for me. If you don't have one of these then you can justify it because they are not "like" what you already have---therefore something different for a different purpose. :p Works for me anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters