Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

I converted this from a $16.00 women's Panama (Cuenca) I found. Number 322, 5 1/4, 7 1/4 Block. Crown 5 inches creased with 2 inch brim. New sweatband and pug.

7136047677_0f975423af_b.jpg

6989800172_c318d2d976_b.jpg

7135883997_9f0a56ec5e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, Photobucket is being a pain in the ass. The best I could do was these:

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

I bought this today at the flea-market for $35. It's a Montecristi Panama, size 58. It was brand new.

Did I do good?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I wasn't looking for anything super-fancy. A panama that was light, airy, comfortable, fit well, from a good maker and which didn't bust the bank was what I was after. I've been chasing one for a while, but all the prices I've seen made them just...scary-expensive. From like $500 and down. The cheapest that I could find, retail, was about $85, and that was already half-price.

I bought that one from the local flea-market, from a chap who sells brand-new, and second-hand hats. He had a rather nice array of trilbies, homburgs, fedoras, an old top-hat and some caps and other cheaper, what I call 'fashion' hats.

He said that his Panamas had been selling like hotcakes and that I was lucky to find one that still fit me! I told him about the Fedora Lounge. Maybe he'll get interested.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't looking for anything super-fancy. A panama that was light, airy, comfortable, fit well, from a good maker and which didn't bust the bank was what I was after. I've been chasing one for a while, but all the prices I've seen made them just...scary-expensive. From like $500 and down. The cheapest that I could find, retail, was about $85, and that was already half-price.

I bought that one from the local flea-market, from a chap who sells brand-new, and second-hand hats. He had a rather nice array of trilbies, homburgs, fedoras, an old top-hat and some caps and other cheaper, what I call 'fashion' hats.

He said that his Panamas had been selling like hotcakes and that I was lucky to find one that still fit me! I told him about the Fedora Lounge. Maybe he'll get interested.

I could sell those like hotcakes, too, to a public that doesn't know a Cuenca brisa from a Montecristi. If he comes on the lounge, he'd better not misrepresent his hats.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hard to tell quality from your shots. A few close-ups would help. It looks nice, and well woven, decent block. Back-woven brim edge?

(sometimes people think that because the brim is back-woven, the hat is a Montecristi. Not always. You can find Cuenca hats with this brim finishing as well.)

Last edited:

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
There are very good hats with underwelts, overwelts, or backwoven with zig-zag stitch for security. Most underwelts or overwelts are done for uniformity in brim size. The hats cost the hat factories the same price with or without a back weave (Cuenca). One of the problems you run into with felt people is that they demand brims to be exact, something that is extremely hard to do in hand-woven merchandise. Naturally, to sell 10,000 hats, the company cuts and sews all of their hats so that the big hat seller can be satisfied. I do agree that sometimes it is a shortcut, but not all of the time. 99% of the hat brims from Ortega that I've purchased have had backwoven brims. 80% of Dorfzaun hats have had underwelt. 100% of the hats from the Bernal factory have had regular backweave with a clear thread zigzag sewn over for security. 99% of the hats I've purchased from the Women's Society and the pacts in Gualaceo and other small towns have been with backweave.

I'm sure this hat is a low grade Brisa and the price is certainly adequate. Borsalino asks $185.00+ (haven't been to a hat store in a while) for similar or less fine weave.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I wish I could show you closer photos, but right now, Photobucket is not being very co-operative, and it's not allowing me to upload photos.

If you would really want extra (close-up) photos to determine the quality, I'm happy to provide them

Do you guys think this is something I was better off not buying?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Just arrived from Manabí to Worth & Worth, a wonderful example; almost as fine as my Optimo, only a little less WPSI. Brim edge finished to perfection, round and symmetrical, as they can certainly be made/commissioned and/or picked by careful hatters. I'm very happy with the block, too. Orlando calls it The Casablanca and I picked it after seeing the hat Art made for Rabbit. The color is more gold than the pictures show, it's the white light that's brightening it.

2.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

Last edited:

gqmagic

One of the Regulars
Just arrived from Manabí to Worth & Worth, a wonderful example; almost as fine as my Optimo, only a little less WPSI. Brim edge finished to perfection, round and symmetrical, as they certainly can be made/commissioned and picked by careful/OCD hatters lol. I'm very happy with the block, too. Orlando calls it The Casablanca and I picked it after seeing the hat Art made for Rabbit. The color is more gold than the pictures show, it's the white light that's brightening it.

2.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

:eusa_clap

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Just arrived from Manabí to Worth & Worth, a wonderful example; almost as fine as my Optimo, only a little less WPSI. Brim edge finished to perfection, round and symmetrical, as they certainly can be made/commissioned and picked by careful/OCD hatters lol. I'm very happy with the block, too. Orlando calls it The Casablanca and I picked it after seeing the hat Art made for Rabbit. The color is more gold than the pictures show, it's the white light that's brightening it.

2.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

Nice hat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members