Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Untapped Market you say? What about me and my cuates?

250436d3.jpg

It's nice to be back, thanks.

That's food down in Ecuador!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZvzE4dr0YpQ/SGCGT6e342I/AAAAAAAAAFo/c33JFJLZNLQ/s400/DSCN5963.JPG

Aerol

A-List Customer
So you are saying it is nearly the cheapest hat Gucci could find and charge tons more for it at Gucci stores. They are crooks. Makes sense. :p

Good to see you back around here as a definitive resource.

This hat is used. The price is being set by the current seller, not Gucci. There's no indication as to what the original price was.

Your ire is misplaced.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AAAAAaarrrrgggg!

$300 for a paper (shantung) hat?! No ire misplaced there. You put the Gucci logo on it and it is worth ten times what it was before?

Today IS April 15, eh? :rage::rage::rage::rage:

Let's not talk about payin' too much for paper- :usa2: as I may stroke out! :rip:

As it is I'll not be able to sit down for a month! lollollol

BR Gordon

One Too Many
This is the first panama straw hat that I purchased. I got it from a, in my opinion, a very overpriced hat company in Santa Fe. I purchased it on 1979, so I don't remember the details, but I thought that it was a montecristi. Now that I know a little more than I did at the time, I'm beginning to question it. I know that it is not a very fine weave, but has anyone seen a montecristi brim that has been cut and stitched?

Here are a few additional photos.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Dronak

Familiar Face
I didn't realize there was a separate thread here specifically for straw hats. I got two modern ones recently and posted pictures of them in the general "Post New Hats Here!" thread. If you want me to post them here, I can, but for now, I'll just link to my post over there:
my two new straw fedoras.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
This is the first panama straw hat that I purchased. I got it from a, in my opinion, a very overpriced hat company in Santa Fe. I purchased it on 1979, so I don't remember the details, but I thought that it was a montecristi. Now that I know a little more than I did at the time, I'm beginning to question it. I know that it is not a very fine weave, but has anyone seen a montecristi brim that has been cut and stitched?

Here are a few additional photos.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Can we see a photo of the inside of the crown? How many vueltas can you count? My gut says Cuenca, due to a couple of weave issues in the top of the crown, but the # of vueltas will seal the deal.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'd say Cuenca. Weave looks a bit coarse to be a Montecristi, also the folded brim edge might indicate it's not. A nice and good looking llano weave panama, I think is what you have.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I'd say Cuenca. Weave looks a bit coarse to be a Montecristi, also the folded brim edge might indicate it's not. A nice and good looking llano weave panama, I think is what you have.

Thank you Aureliano, That's what I was thinking. It has become my summer knockabout hat, so that fact that it's not a montecristi doesn't matter much.

I had already come to the conclusion that I wouldn't purchase from that hat store again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters