Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

meauxwalk

New in Town
Hi! First time poster. My dad got me hooked on hats and I am looking to make my first panama hat purchase. :) I'd like to get a good quality hat in the 150$ range, but would like some educated opinions. I've read about Cuenca and Montecristi, Llano and Brisa, and my head is swimming.

I've been eyeing PanamaBob's Cuenca Cuencano style grade 20 Llano weave, as well as the Montecristi Cuencano style grade 16. What would the pros and cons be of getting one over the other? What is the crown height and brim width (it's not listed on the site)--is that something that you customize when you order the hat?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Melissa

new2hats

A-List Customer
Hi! First time poster. My dad got me hooked on hats and I am looking to make my first panama hat purchase. :) I'd like to get a good quality hat in the 150$ range, but would like some educated opinions. I've read about Cuenca and Montecristi, Llano and Brisa, and my head is swimming.

I've been eyeing PanamaBob's Cuenca Cuencano style grade 20 Llano weave, as well as the Montecristi Cuencano style grade 16. What would the pros and cons be of getting one over the other? What is the crown height and brim width (it's not listed on the site)--is that something that you customize when you order the hat?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Melissa

No one has answered her yet?

I have tons of cuencas. I like Monticristi, to me they just seem sharper for some reason. The crown heights and brim lengths may all be different. It would be best to email Bob to specific what size you want, as you don't know what you'll get unless it is specified somewhere.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I don't think that you could go wrong getting a montecristi from Panama Bob. If I were getting my first panama hat, I would get the best quality montecristi that I could afford. I have cuencas and montecristis, to me the cuenca is more of an everyday knock-around hat.

Duper

Practically Family
I have two Panama hats on order from Casey at Panamahatsdirect. Hopefully they will be in my hands late next week. I liked that Casey had photos of the actual hat you would purchase on his website and they are ready to ship immediately. I have one from Bob I like very much, one from Casey I enjoy wearing as well and one from Panador hats. The Panador it really a hat from Christt's they have rebadged, but it has a great weave and a nice wide brim for those burning hot sunny summer days.

One of the two hats ordered is an Optimo style and the other is a Havana. I have never tried an Optimo. Not sure how it will look on me. Ahh anticipation.

We are lucky to have so many options for hats. I just wish I could walk I to a local store and try on a quality hat. That option still alludes me.

new2hats

A-List Customer
Awesome. Just saw the website on hats direct. How can you be sure it's the same hat though?

Have some panador hats, they're okay. Still like Bob's hats better, esp the ones without stiffener. Haven't tried directs. Maybe I will!

Wish there were hat retailers to see the exact hat, think it eludes most of us...

Duper

Practically Family
The Panama I have from Bob is the softest of the three I own so far. As for the Panamahatsdirect site I am expecting it to be the pictured hat as each image has a stock number like -126 and when I completed my order a short while after the hats I picked were no longer displayed on the site. The quantity number for the style and brim size was also reduced. I spoke to Casey and William on the phone to iron out a few details and now it is up to the post office to do the rest.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Mid-50's Royal DeLuxe

001iel.jpg

002tem.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic Colado David. Glad you didn't go with a standard black/blue ribbon too, great ribbon treatment from Art. Bet it gets a lot of noggin time.

Duper

Practically Family
My recent purchases from Casey at Panamahatsdirect. Overall I am pleased with the purchases.

The Havana model has a nice weave.

8723714119_dfa4235cc9_z.jpg

8723714161_ba5a619158_z.jpg

The Optimo is very stiff. Cookie or potato chip stiff. Definately not a "folder" but still nice at the price.

8723713885_1d19015974_z.jpg

8724832346_e56bea38b0_z.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Mike and AC.

Mike, I was planning on getting the usual black ribbon until I saw this one on one of Art's new line of hats. Glad I did!

Duper, of the two new ones, I like the Havana.

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks DJH, that semi colado is just beautiful. I really like how you spoke up and said you prefer the Havana over the Optimo. It is nice to hear an opinion rate than just a complement or an acknowledgement. I also prefer the Havana. I was hoping for something rollable but unfortunately the Optimo is a hard hat I could wear at a construction site.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, it does say on Casey's website that the Optimo is rollable - maybe you have to run it over with a truck a few times first?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch