Panama Hat Thread

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Burma Shave, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Panamabob

Panamabob Call Me a Cab

Ecuador is a very strange country to do business in. I try my best. Your hat is in, Ken, if you want it. I'll send it to the West Coast for blocking. I still have some hats in Cincy, but the blocker has gone on vacation. I'm sure I won't get them back for a few weeks.

2. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Late season opportunity from Ebay I could not pass up. Batsakes Hat Shop (Gus Miller) that I'm thrilled with. Not the finest weave but more than suitable for me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

3. bond

bond My Mail is Forwarded Here

Nice one mike I like the profile on it.
    I just got this one sold as a 3/8 or size 6 but dang if it isn't too tight for me . Nice weave looks to be around 30 x 30 or 900? Weave is very comsistent through out and looks tighter or finer in crown area. As this is my first montechristi not sure what I have as far as quality . Any info would be helpful. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Nice snag Scott. For a first montechristi you've really spoiled yourself, that is a fine hat. I can't tell you the grade but it's way nicer than mine. Some guys like the bleached look but I love the patina your's has as well as the natural mix of fiber color. You gotta reblock it to fit you or you'll be kicking yourself if you let it go.

5. bond

bond My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thankd mike,I am kind torn about it as it is a good fit as is for a 3/8 . But I don't really want to reinvent the wheel with this one either.

6. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

My old panama finally started coming apart. The weave is just splitting up and unraveling.

In the end, I went to City Hatters (my local hat-shop), and bought a new Panama. And this time, one that fits properly and which looks like it'll last a damn sight longer than the old, second-hand one. I can wear my new one without fear of it being blown off my head, or of coming apart at the seams!

7. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

How about a pix Shangas?

8. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

It's honestly not much to look at, but if you insist...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's very smooth and quite stiff.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  9. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

And quite sharp too. I like the variation of color in the weave, the bleached ones are too dressy for my tastes. It should serve you well in your future adventures.

10. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I saw the bleached ones at the shop. But I prefer the traditional, off-white/ivory colour.

11. milliedog

milliedog Familiar Face

Nice looking Panama Shangas. I was in City Hatters this past week while visiting Melbourne and have to say you are lucky to have such a shop close by. Great selection, knowledgeable and friendly staff. Just a great place, so many wonderful hats.

12. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Indeed. It's a city institution, is City Hatters. It's occupied the same shopfront since 1910. Although I do wish they'd get a carpenter in, to repair those stairs! It's a safety hazard, visiting that shop, it really is.

For those not in the know, this is City Hatters:

[​IMG]

The entrance is down the stairs on the left (you can see the railing through the bars).

13. Landman

Landman One Too Many

Very cool hat store!

14. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

It's a very unassuming sort of place. You could walk past it a hundred times and not notice it.

15. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

I suppose, if you somehow overlooked the seven references to hats/hatters emblazoned on the facade. :p

16. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

[video=youtube;Rp8bg451EQo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp8bg451EQo[/video]

"Weaving Life" - The Story of Ecquador's Panama Hat (Pt. 1 of 3). The rest is on YouTube.

17. Joshbru3

Joshbru3 I'll Lock Up

1940’s/1950’s Knox Panama Up Brim (Part 1)

I received this 40’s/50’s Knox Panama this past weekend. In the past, every time I bought a size 7 straw, it was almost always too small on my 7 LO head, so I took a chance with this 7 1/8. It fits like a glove!!! It fits like it was literally made for my head. It’s my first “up-brim” panama and I can’t wait to wear it this spring/summer!

The condition is remarkable. Its literally unworn and about 99.5 percent mint. The straw is still pliable too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Joshbru3

Joshbru3 I'll Lock Up

1940’s/1950’s Knox Panama Up Brim (Part 2)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

One to be excited about Josh. Hard to beat the natural patina of nice straw.

20. alanfgag

alanfgag

Very nice... Knox Premier straws were quality.