Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
In response to this post and the recent one from birdhunter, I feel obligated to write that I had an unsatisfactory purchase experience with Panama Bob. He ended up giving me a full refund, but I had problems getting timely and factual communications over the eight month process (Dec 2012 - July 2013), and ultimately no hat.

I recognize the gravity and controversial nature of a rather non-specific post like this, and I have absolutely no desire to start a flame war or to drag his name through the mud. As I say, he returned my money and I am not out anything other than time. I do not want to fill up a full page of details about the chain of events. Obviously many members of this forum and others who have done business with him over the years have been very satisfied. I don't question that at all (it's why I chose him as a supplier for my hat!). But I guess if you do a large enough number of transactions over the years, there is always the possibility of one going belly up, and it happened to be mine.

If you are truly considering a custom made-to-order purchase and want the full detailed timeline in my case, I will be happy to email you privately. I do not want to turn this into a public bitch session, but maybe it's important to know about one negative experience to offset the many positive reviews available online - at least before committing to a large up front cash outlay.

If you wish to email me, you can use: kenmolay at gmail dot com
Ecuador is a very strange country to do business in. I try my best. Your hat is in, Ken, if you want it. I'll send it to the West Coast for blocking. I still have some hats in Cincy, but the blocker has gone on vacation. I'm sure I won't get them back for a few weeks.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Late season opportunity from Ebay I could not pass up. Batsakes Hat Shop (Gus Miller) that I'm thrilled with. Not the finest weave but more than suitable for me

[/QUOTE]

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice one mike I like the profile on it.
I just got this one sold as a 3/8 or size 6 but dang if it isn't too tight for me . Nice weave looks to be around 30 x 30 or 900? Weave is very comsistent through out and looks tighter or finer in crown area. As this is my first montechristi not sure what I have as far as quality . Any info would be helpful. Thanks
08988C97-CDFD-48D7-AC15-51127B1B17A3-96655-00003587BBDC3CD5_zps91758583.jpg

F6C59FB5-FAFA-4A73-AEF9-C08A37A2BF7E-96655-00003588A200E839_zpsdfb6cc3c.jpg

A20160F5-7E16-40D4-915F-4B1FAC25344B-96655-00003588DDDE86BE_zps8ae2e336.jpg

30A3EB56-F973-4D7C-AD01-BA3D1291992E-96655-0000358905602128_zpse8771ef3.jpg

2ECE768A-393D-4F8A-8C5D-37C6D7241A4F-96655-0000358823ACF130_zps8eb61676.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Nice snag Scott. For a first montechristi you've really spoiled yourself, that is a fine hat. I can't tell you the grade but it's way nicer than mine. Some guys like the bleached look but I love the patina your's has as well as the natural mix of fiber color. You gotta reblock it to fit you or you'll be kicking yourself if you let it go.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thankd mike,I am kind torn about it as it is a good fit as is for a 3/8 . But I don't really want to reinvent the wheel with this one either.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My old panama finally started coming apart. The weave is just splitting up and unraveling.

In the end, I went to City Hatters (my local hat-shop), and bought a new Panama. And this time, one that fits properly and which looks like it'll last a damn sight longer than the old, second-hand one. I can wear my new one without fear of it being blown off my head, or of coming apart at the seams!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
And quite sharp too. I like the variation of color in the weave, the bleached ones are too dressy for my tastes. It should serve you well in your future adventures.

milliedog

Familiar Face
Nice looking Panama Shangas. I was in City Hatters this past week while visiting Melbourne and have to say you are lucky to have such a shop close by. Great selection, knowledgeable and friendly staff. Just a great place, so many wonderful hats.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Indeed. It's a city institution, is City Hatters. It's occupied the same shopfront since 1910. Although I do wish they'd get a carpenter in, to repair those stairs! It's a safety hazard, visiting that shop, it really is.

For those not in the know, this is City Hatters:

home.jpg

The entrance is down the stairs on the left (you can see the railing through the bars).

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube;Rp8bg451EQo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp8bg451EQo[/video]

"Weaving Life" - The Story of Ecquador's Panama Hat (Pt. 1 of 3). The rest is on YouTube.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1940’s/1950’s Knox Panama Up Brim (Part 1)

I received this 40’s/50’s Knox Panama this past weekend. In the past, every time I bought a size 7 straw, it was almost always too small on my 7 LO head, so I took a chance with this 7 1/8. It fits like a glove!!! It fits like it was literally made for my head. It’s my first “up-brim” panama and I can’t wait to wear it this spring/summer!

The condition is remarkable. Its literally unworn and about 99.5 percent mint. The straw is still pliable too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points