Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about Montrcristi Panama Hats of Napa Valley. My old straw beater has about had it, and I need something to get me through the Miami summer. I'm not really a classic Panama kind of guy and don't want to spend a whole lot. I do want something light with at least a 3-inch brim. I have a pretty big melon (7 3/4) so the vintage options are extremely limited.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
My new to me Montechristi which I scored from Ale in a case of lucky timing on my part. It turned out a bit small but no disappointment because it's such a nice body and I knew Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works would be able to make it fit. A re-block, new sweat, and custom pug make me happy.

As received from Ale:

After pimping by Bob:

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso, it went up from approx 7 1/8 to 7 1/4.

fedoralover, I'm not real interested in the weave count/grading thing myself but I believe Ale counted 420 wpi in his classified. It's nice.

CRH, I would characterize BSHW (which is Bob Jesse) as an innovative hatter who likes to try new things but also respects vintage methods.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I'm no expert, but FL, that is as sweet as Jewish wine, man-oh-man oh Manischewitz!!!

I would have found that well-neigh irresistible. What a great look!

Thanks, I just got it in the mail today. I had to count the wpi with a tooth pick. It came in around 800. I'm very pleased. I just dropped it off at Northwest Hats to have a new sweatband put in and have Mike clean it up. It needs to be stretched just a bit to fit better but it shouldn't be a problem. I have had other Monti's before but not at this weave count. And the fact it is vintage makes it all the better.

fedoralover

Bugguy

Practically Family
I was at Basakes in Cincinnati this afternoon and he has a wall of straw. He let me just handle them - beautiful! I was under strict orders not to come home with another hat. Well, spring is just starting and I have a full summer to work on her.

In the meantime, I was joined by two guys I work with - one I've hat shopped with before and the other a 30-something newbie getting his first. I was surprised when Gus pulled out two narrow brim Dobbs in black and a light natural. They almost didn't look real - and for $40/ea. I didn't say anything, but I was disappointed we didn't leave with a real panama. Maybe he figures the kid needed to edge into the look - sort of try out a hat without a real commitment. I guess it's up to me to raise the bar.

For me, I dropped off a vintage camel-colored Hopkins, not a straw, to be cleaned. And I needed to have him shrink my head so I could be more comfortable in my trusty Borsalino. If you're ever passing through Cincy, he's worth a stop.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
In preparation for this summer's heat I am in the market for another Panama. I have two very nice fedora style panamas, one I bought in Rome and the other in Atlantic City (a Stetson). I'm thinking about going more vintage with this and springing for an Optimo. Any decent quality and decently priced suggestions?

-Max

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Part of our holiday involved a trip to St. Augustine today. My wife knew she lost me when I saw the following sign:

PHC 1.jpg

Although the budget won't allow me to actually purchase anything, I was happy to get a look at the stock on hand. After looking for a few minutes, I asked the man behind the counter if I could take a few pictures.

Here's a couple of shots of the wall behind the register.

PHC 2.jpg PHC 3.jpg

And I had to get a shot of the case displaying a few grail items.

PHC 4.jpg

One of the salespeople asked to look at my hat, which I picked up on the 'bay a few months back. He was shocked when I told him it only cost a bit over $20. He looked again at the weave, label, etc., and let me know that his shop would charge in excess of $200 for it. I knew I got a decent hat, but had no idea it was THAT nice.

I went home without a new hat, but had a pretty decent time admiring the others I saw today.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for posting that Robert. It helps clear up a question I had regarding the origins of a straw hat I received from Garrett earlier this yr. It was a raw body with a paper tag sewn on dating it to 1931. I didn't think it was a Panama but couldn't find any info suggesting it's origin was Asian as I suspected because the tag also suggested it was sold in Okinawa. Mayserwegener posted some excerpts from a German book from a straw hat manufacturer, Ottmar Reich, that showed a picture of Japanese women weaving straw:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...n-Hutmachers&p=1780465&viewfull=1#post1780465

Further evidence it wasn't woven in S America came when Bob Jesse of Black Sheep Hat Works tried to stretch the body. Bob noted that instead of a twisting motion with the weave to stretch it over a block like Panamas he has worked with, this one required stretching by pulling straight down. This suggests a different weaving technique. To the amazement of Bob, Garrett, and I, Bob was able to eventually stretch the body over a 52 block to fit my 7 1/4 noggin. The original opening was so small it looked like it might fit a child.

Here is a link to the original classified by Rick Blaine who Garrett got the body from. Note the reference to the max size the body would fit:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ody-capline!&p=1558739&viewfull=1#post1558739

Details of the tag and weave:

Finished hat by BSHW:

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Straw family portrait

I was late breaking out the straws this year, hard to put away the thin-ribbons, but the heat is becoming oppresive. This is the first time I have grouped them all together for some family pics -

3 pics of the Plymouth llano w/green & grey ribbon added at Buckaroo by Art Fawcett:

will do another post to continue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR