Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Howdy all,
I hope this is ok to post this here. For some time now I have been on the hunt for a hat like the one on the picture of a young Dayton O. Hyde. It is a straw weave cattleman of some kind, but I have yet to see something else like it. I prefer it's under exaggerated crown and brim. Has anyone seen something similar? My coworker and friend from Colorado says he see's them all the time back home and would one up for me on his next trip. He returned empty handed, but in his defense knows nothing of hats or where to even buy one back home.

So any help is appreciated, or if this should be asked somewhere else please point me in the right direction.

thanks 2014-07-03011523_zps3724fdea.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up this Monti off the bay. I hope it is as good as the pics appear it to be. It comes in a box with extra pugs and it was free shipping.

fedoralover

I just got this hat today. It was bit mishappen from shipping but a light steaming put it back into place. The weave count is not as high as adverstised but that was expected. It was however around 1000 wpi. The back woven edge was done really well. Around 10 or 11 rings on the crown as close as I can tell. A really cheap sweatband but okay for now since it fits me perfect which was an unexpected surprise. Goes to show you can still find a deal on occasion.

fedoralover

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Hi all!

I am a milliner, ... https://www.etsy.com/shop/LadyEveMillinery but am trying to pick up some hatter skills. I just came into a vintage optimo crown. I've worked with panama for ladies hats and thought I'd give a shot at a optimo crown panama for my husband. I plan to finish it with some 1 1/2 inch vintage black petersham... leather band.

I do have a couple questions tho since ladies hats do differ from mens. I would typically wire a brim. Are men's hats not wired? Also is the brim typically turned so that the stitching is on top of the brim or on the underside?

Thanks for your help! Once I'm done I'll put up some pics of the final product!

Honey Doll
a/k/a Lady Eve
https://www.etsy.com/shop/LadyEveMillinery

fedoracentric

Banned
No wires and brim stitching is all sorts of ways, overwelt, underwelt, one row of stitches, 2, 3, even 4 rows of stitches, ribbon bound edge in various configurations... so no standard.

Good luck on the build.

sirish19

New in Town
Welcome to the lounge sirish19! The panama looks good! Where did you acquire your panama and what model is it?

Thanks everyone. I got the panama from panamahatsdirect.com and custom ordered the fino fino in style Fedora #2. I also ordered about 6-7 different bands to go with the outfit/mood, haha I am quite happy with the quality of the hat and the weave. Here is a closeup shot of the weave.

14634502336_6b6dbf4f43_b.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Thanks everyone. I got the panama from panamahatsdirect.com and custom ordered the fino fino in style Fedora #2. I also ordered about 6-7 different bands to go with the outfit/mood, haha I am quite happy with the quality of the hat and the weave. Here is a closeup shot of the weave.

14634502336_6b6dbf4f43_b.jpg

Love that ribbon also. I too just got one from Panamahatsdirect as I just posted. And I was also happy with it. Your's looks great. I was fortunate to get one of his Special Reserve Panama's off ebay for a fraction of the price new. His prices are very good even for new ones. I can't complain at all. Did you get the nice painted balsa wood box too? Enjoy.

fedoralover

Last edited:

sirish19

New in Town
Love that ribbon also. I too just got one from Panamahatsdirect as I just posted. And I was also happy with it. Your's looks great. I was fortunate to get one of his Special Reserve Panama's off ebay for a fraction of the price new. His prices are very good even for new ones. I can't complain at all. Did you get the nice painted balsa wood box too? Enjoy.

fedoralover

Yes, I saw your post as well, very nice hat. Yes, I did get the box with it.

hartfell

New in Town
Hello everyone

Just wanted to introduce myself. Name's Jeremy and here I am with my new Montecristi purchased last month in Europe. I'm sure I overpaid for it and upon reflection I think the 3" brim is probably too big for my face but it's done now. It's certainly a hat of very different character from my every-day Panama, also attached on the right. I love the feel and the smell of the Montecristi and the color, which seems almost impossible to capture in a photo. It has a 25 linear inch weave count, for what that's worth. Anyway, nice to be here.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 252

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I like the wider brim better - and I think it suits your face better, IMHO. Congratulations with great purchase ;)

- and of course, welcome to The Fedora Lounge! Enjoy your stay :)

Duper

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge hartfell! I agree with The Dane that the brim width looks good on you. Wear it in good health.

Where in Europe did you find your new panama?

fedoracentric

Banned
I think the guides of brim-width-to-face is less valid concerning straws. After all, one of the main purposes of the straw hat is protection from the sun where as in many way the fedora is more about fashion. So, larger brims are not a drawback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ