Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I received my first panama (too late for my vacation, unfortunately). I went with a sub-fino, for now, because functionality was my primary reason for getting it. Overall I'm happy with it. Relative to other panamas I've handled, this seems to be fairly soft in the reed area. I ordered it blocked as Long Oval, which is still not enough for me but, it's soft enough to easily conform the rest of the way. The edge curl on the brim helps reduce the effect of over-snap. Of all the semi-calado weaves I've seen with decorative patterns, this is my favorite one (If they give names to the patterns, I'd love to know what this one is called).

In summary, I realize that this hat is definitely not top-shelf merchandise but, I'm fairly happy with it, for what it is.
2014-08-07213036.jpg

2014-08-07213142.jpg

2014-08-07213809.jpg

2014-08-07213217.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gentlemen, thanks for the info on PB, but how do you get in touch with him? I saw the ebay site, but I need something in a larger size and would like to see if he could come up with one. Just recently I received my VS straw, and I love it so much that I'm afraid I'm wearing it to death.

HoustonVeer

New in Town
New to the forum.

I was in New Orleans last weekend and wandered in the Goorin Bros hat shop. I tried on a few, decided to do some research, and found this forum.

Thank goodness. I discovered Goorin doesn't make their own hats. Bollman Hat Company makes them for Goorin and several other lines. Not that Bollman makes bad hats -- just that the Goorin brand hats are likely overpriced.

I also learned about Panama Bob. I looked over his site, and decided to simply start with his basic $25 hat. I understand that the hat will likely be made from young weavers whom Bob tries to support and help cultivate their skills.

I e-mailed Bob my specifics. I'm a bigger guy (6-4) and I live in Houston. My hat size is 7 3/8 and my face is on the rounder side. I am looking for a wider brim hat that will be cool and provide shade to my face and neck when attending outdoor social/sporting events. I do not plan to play golf in the hat.

Bob responded within a few hours. I look forward to taking the first step on this new journey. Eventually, I would like to own an expensive panama hat. But I also look forward to getting acquainted with this first starter hat from Bob. I don't even know what kind of style it will be. I specified a natural color and requested a wider brim.

I'll post pics when it arrives. Any advice from those more experienced would be greatly appreciated.

HoustonVeer

New in Town
Well done, HV! You are on the right track to a great hat.

Thanks!

Bob doesn't have any wider brims right now, but when he finds a suitable one, I think we are going to send it to Mr. Gomez for a leather sweat band, etc.

That will add some time to the process, but I'm confident it will be worth the wait.

B1ggles

Familiar Face
This was bought a few years ago from the English Hatter in Amsterdam. Not a cheap shop, but some nice hats; the following year I got a black Stetson fedora there.

But on a subsequent visit to Amsterdam, my Panama blew off a coffee table and landed in the Prinsengracht, where it floated for 20 minutes until I could get some guys in a small boat to rescue it for me. I really thought it was done for, but wore it all day (with water dripping off it) in the hope that might help prevent it shrinking. In the end, it didn't shrink at all, though it did lose a little shape. I guess that's the difference between a Panama and a straw hat? Or maybe it's just why it was expensive?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Houstonveer -- Beautiful hat. I'm just now trying to decide on my next Panama and I think that's the style I'll go with. May I ask the style's name and the price range/quality?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24