Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

HoustonVeer

New in Town
Houstonveer -- Beautiful hat. I'm just now trying to decide on my next Panama and I think that's the style I'll go with. May I ask the style's name and the price range/quality?

Hi tropicalbob

This is Panama Bob's $25 starter hat. I only specified a wider brim and a natural color (as opposed to white) in my size.

Looking at Bob's old website, it appears to be a "Caballero" style.

Good luck!

John Galt

Vendor
Well, I guess this is as good a place as I can find to post this tidbit I found about "shantung" in a 1956 dry cleaning book:

6y5umuja.jpg

This material is obviously neither the paper straw (cowboy hats) that we now hear described as Shantung nor the weaved straw (Milan-like?) that was also called Shantung last century.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since the first day of spring,I keep checking this thread every day for news of new straw hat styles and deals. If anyone sees anything of interest, give us a holler. Also, does anybody have info on Colombian hatters? I saw an interesting-looking hat called a Monterrey Brisa the other day, but all I can find is a Colombian website in Spanish.

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
Since the first day of spring,I keep checking this thread every day for news of new straw hat styles and deals. If anyone sees anything of interest, give us a holler. Also, does anybody have info on Colombian hatters? I saw an interesting-looking hat called a Monterrey Brisa the other day, but all I can find is a Colombian website in Spanish.

What kind of "straw" are you looking for? I had a "straw" hat for years that I thought was nice. Put when I purchased a Montecristi toquilla straw, I pitched the old one out. :eek:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm always looking for fedora-style, natural, unbleached straws with minimum 2 1/2" brims, particularly in the styles of the 30's through the 50's. I see beautiful hats from time to time on ebay or etsy, but with a 7 7/8 head it's pretty impossible to find anything I like. I got my grail hat last year, a VS Milan, but I'm afraid I'm wearing it to death, and I can't spring for too many of those right now.

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
I'm always looking for fedora-style, natural, unbleached straws with minimum 2 1/2" brims, particularly in the styles of the 30's through the 50's. I see beautiful hats from time to time on ebay or etsy, but with a 7 7/8 head it's pretty impossible to find anything I like. I got my grail hat last year, a VS Milan, but I'm afraid I'm wearing it to death, and I can't spring for too many of those right now.

Check with Brent Black. He has a Mombasi series and a Hemingway series that is less expensive. I think he can fit you. Great guy to work with.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Hopefully not too late to help, Bob, but here is Panama Hats Direct Spring sale flyer...

They do have some 64s in stock, and you'll save money!

Thanks very much for this heads up. I pulled the trigger on a deal over there and saved! I had been shopping around and kept going back to a specific hat and didn't want to spend that much. Glad I didn't buy it last week. I figured this was my best chance to get something quick for a decent price.

Andy

You should be quite happy, Andy. I have Panamas from them as well as Bob, and a couple of others, and the value is hard to beat, although Panama Bob's sales are certainly worth checking out, too. Wear it in good health!

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I will certainly be checking out Panama Bob for another idea I like. Now that I'll have something to wear right away, I won't be fretting the wait time. That was a consideration in making my first purchase. Thank you and I hope we 'all' wear them in good health!

Andy

AndyR

One of the Regulars
International shipping kills the deal for me, unfortunately. Both PB and PHD are 2-3X what a shipper really ought to be charging for standard international shipping.

What do they hit you with for shipping to Kyoto? Yeah, shipping is a bit high, considering I once shipped a camera lens from the US to Australia for only 22 bucks!

Andy

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
What do they hit you with for shipping to Kyoto? Yeah, shipping is a bit high, considering I once shipped a camera lens from the US to Australia for only 22 bucks!

Andy

Private sellers and some public will ship a hat here (I mean in an actual box) for $15-20 bucks. From the US, takes about 7-10 days on average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner