Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the heads-up, Charlie. I don't so much have a problem with white hats, as they have a problem with me. Two weeks with me and one of those would look like New Jersey snow a week after the storm. I guess I'm what Smokey Robinson called a "choosy beggar."

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
What do they hit you with for shipping to Kyoto? Yeah, shipping is a bit high, considering I once shipped a camera lens from the US to Australia for only 22 bucks!

Andy

I do find some of these specials tempting even with the shipping factor, especially the "Double-woven" Cuenca, which has me curious. Has anyone ordered one from that line?

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I feel obliged to share my PHD experience so far, since you are asking about this, especially regarding the order page that has finished, in stock hats (supposedly). I did order from that page recently and I was led to believe that I was ordering a finished hat that was in stock, on the shelf. An actual hat with its own reference stock number. That's why I ordered, because the wait wouldn't be long.

Well a few days after ordering, I got an email telling me that they have begun the process of looking through stock for the perfect hat for me. I inquired about this and was told that the hat I ordered was indeed a specific hat that was available. They confirmed the stock number.

Then last week, I received another email telling me that their search through stock did not turn up a hat that fit my order (style, size, quality of weave) and that they were in the process of making one up for me. Again, I emailed about this and have not heard back.

So for now, the order process as it is set up on their 'stock' page seems rather disingenuous at best, dishonest at worst? I am 'not sure' yet. Just waiting to see how it plays out. I may still get a hat that pleases me, but it depends on how long it takes. I won't wait too long. I have no problem at all being patient if I know I am ordering something that has to be specifically made for me. No problem at all. It's just that this order page refers to these hats as finished, in stock, on the shelf hats and that you are viewing and ordering the actual hat you will receive.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks hatsrme. Have you ordered from Direct before?

Yes, I have, and I have (only once) experienced the same "hiccup" as you, AndyR. I have purchased four hats from them now, and despite the occasional frustration of bumps like this, I have ALWAYS been very, VERY happy with the hat received. I'm glad you mention this possibility of a delay, so to know it could happen. Thanks!

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, Andy. It really is frustrating trying to order stuff inline, especially when you get the "Yes, we have your object ready for immediate delivery, except your particular one is giving us a few problems. But you'll be hearing from us soon!" Try Lawless Denim sometime for a fun experience. Anyway, does anyone know if Panama Bob is answering emails these days? I sent one a few days back and have yet to hear.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I don't know whether it's a lack of in house communication (since I was told different things by two different people), poor organization or the run around. I just know there is no telling if that list of stock hats can be relied on.

HA! Had a look at Lawless Denim on Yelp. Some tough reviews indeed.

Andy

vmtrevino2

A-List Customer
Well I called PHD and spoke with Casey D. He said the hats are in stock and are deleted from the catalog when purchsed. I went ahead and ordered the Fedora 1 super fino. We will see how long it takes to get here

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Yes, same with me. Mine was deleted from the catalog after I ordered too. Then later, I got the emails that I described earlier. So if the specific hat that I ordered was available and deleted after I ordered, I wonder why they are not able to find a hat that fits my order? Curious indeed. Let me know if you get the same emails after a few days.

Andy

Last edited:

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
don't be surprised if you don't get exactly what you ordered......... I hope it all works out well for you but if you open the box and the brim isn't right or the bash is wrong etc etc....... they will apologize and tell you to ship it back and they will correct the problem......... shipping costs do add up.... I am not saying this will happen but when it does the cost goes up with the frustration..........been there.....

5thumbs

New in Town
Guys

I need some advice please.

In the last 6 months I've bought 2 Panama hats from 2 different well known suppliers. Neither was cheap, one was $200 the other $400. I've always had cheap hats but this time I thought I'd treat myself. The more expensive hat arrived this week and after initially being very happy with it (honeymoon period?) I'm now not so sure. Put simply, whilst the weave is finer than on the cheaper hat the surface seems far less even (see photos). I'm not talking about the blocking or the ribbon just the evenness of the straw. Now I don't know whether I'm being too picky here as I have no experience of fine hats hence my asking your advice/opinion.

Please note I'm NOT looking to disparage any hat supplier here . If there is an issue to be resolved I will take it up with the company directly and I'm sure they will deal with it fairly. I guess I'm after a second opinion from those with more experience than me.

For the record both hats are similar size brim - 2.5/2.75in

http://s648.photobucket.com/user/5thumbz/media/finerhat_zpsgdddgyer.jpg.html
http://s648.photobucket.com/user/5thumbz/media/lessfine_zpsmqsbpwk0.jpg.html
http://s648.photobucket.com/user/5thumbz/media/bothhats_zpsygqbprdt.jpg.html

gimebakmybulits

Familiar Face
Guys

I need some advice please.

In the last 6 months I've bought 2 Panama hats from 2 different well known suppliers. Neither was cheap, one was $200 the other $400. I've always had cheap hats but this time I thought I'd treat myself. The more expensive hat arrived this week and after initially being very happy with it (honeymoon period?) I'm now not so sure. Put simply, whilst the weave is finer than on the cheaper hat the surface seems far less even (see photos). I'm not talking about the blocking or the ribbon just the evenness of the straw. Now I don't know whether I'm being too picky here as I have no experience of fine hats hence my asking your advice/opinion.

Please note I'm NOT looking to disparage any hat supplier here . If there is an issue to be resolved I will take it up with the company directly and I'm sure they will deal with it fairly. I guess I'm after a second opinion from those with more experience than me.

For the record both hats are similar size brim - 2.5/2.75in

http://s648.photobucket.com/user/5thumbz/media/finerhat_zpsgdddgyer.jpg.html
http://s648.photobucket.com/user/5thumbz/media/lessfine_zpsmqsbpwk0.jpg.html
http://s648.photobucket.com/user/5thumbz/media/bothhats_zpsygqbprdt.jpg.html

Your links don't work, it looks like you moved them into another folder after posting the links. Both hats look nice, the one with the maroon ribbon is the finer weave? As to whether one is worth twice as much as the other I'll defer to the more experienced members but I would be happy with either one.

inprinsiebe

New in Town
Dear Fedora Lounge members,

I am new here but not really new to the vintage scene. Last year I wanted to buy a panama hat but I put it off and now it seems that the company which sells them is not in business anymore. The company I am talking about is Panador hats, their Optimo seems to be so nice and cheap. Other Optimo's at the same price range or even some double or triple the price are not really to my liking. Does anybody know more about this company or where to get a similar hat.
71wKZ8KolLL._UX385_.jpg

Amazon still has some in stock but they are to small for me. They used to have size xl / xxl.
Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21