Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

car2oonz

New in Town
Not wanting to start a new thread for questions probably asked a thousand times, I thought I'd add to this active thread - although I feel humbled by the knowledge here. Having loved hats my whole life (nearly six decades!), I only 'came out' a few years ago and donned one. Where I grew up, it just wasn't done unless you were famous or flamboyant. I am neither. But with age, comes that glorious 'I couldn't give a d**n what others think' feeling. I love fedoras, and in particular Panamas, so I bought one a few years ago from a fairtrade world shop here in the Netherlands. I'm now recognized as that slightly excentic Englishman who goes shopping in a straw hat.

B73F20A6-C45E-449B-A1FF-A2FE93FA50EB_zpsuiznd7gv.jpg

4DE27CE2-D2AC-4C3D-88AC-AB9FCCB1BAFA_zpsit2ow3hf.jpg

62817CD8-9AA4-4740-B5F4-0E5583AE72F4_zpshai3af4v.jpg

7F8991CC-6D3B-4DAB-9E2E-AFE6152A331B_zpsddldgzfv.jpg

I think it's a brisa weave, no idea from where in Ecuador, but I'm not really that worried as it wasn't expensive (65 euro - about $70), fits well and I wear it a lot. I bought a second one a year ago from the same shop (they phone me when they have a size 61!) and it's from a women's workers collective in Sigsig. Again, happy with it, and I hope the weavers get their fair share of my $70. The weave is slightly less regular, brim is wider and floppier, crown is taller and it feels a bit lighter than my first. I prefer the first one - that's it in my avatar.

5624D383-4AC7-4281-B0B1-506552711F8C_zpsatxwm30k.jpg

B8903947-8A89-4067-9C08-966C34DF9880_zpsjl9lnlho.jpg

051C1615-0F67-4E48-951E-16A916483BE4_zpse4yvse6r.jpg

I'm now ready to take it up a notch and go for a slightly better hat. Love Brent Black's hats and website is the most entertaining I've ever read but sadly I'm not in that price class. When you add postage, value-added tax and import duties here in Europe, it goes into the 'reason for divorce' category. I'd like to see what Panama Bob is offering but he dosn't seem active at the moment. So do any other Europeans have experience with ordering on-line from companies in Ecuador? I also looked at Christys' in London and they have some candidates, although the photo for the 90 pound ($140) Brisa is the same as for the 126 pound ($197) superfino grade 8! I think I'm charmed by the prestigeous name. Again, anyone with experience buying from this company?

I hope I haven't bored you with my ramblings, but it's refreshing to discover like-minded hat people. I came across the forum during my search for information. I've already dusted off the felt fedoras...

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge car2oonze, I hope some of your countrymen can answer your question. It is a fact, if your going to order from one of the major retailers, the price will escalate with the weave count. You might try looking for a nice vintage one on Ebay, ETSY, or better yet, the classifieds here.

The ads I found from the mid-1920s show a $2.95 retail price which must have been a modest Panama alternative at that time.

Alan, if it's possible, can you post the ads you mention?

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Wouldn't you know, it just expired ;) Sure it won't be much longer before we'll have to pay to see anything on the interweb. Thanks for the link anyway, I was able to read the OCR text.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Car2oonz, you might want to take a look at the hats of Tom Gomez. He does beautiful work and can be found by simply typing his name and "hats" on Google. From what you say above, I'd imagine he's much closer to what you're looking for than BB. I've no idea about shipping costs, but I know he ships all over the world. Best of luck!

car2oonz

New in Town
Car2oonz, you might want to take a look at the hats of Tom Gomez. He does beautiful work and can be found by simply typing his name and "hats" on Google. From what you say above, I'd imagine he's much closer to what you're looking for than BB. I've no idea about shipping costs, but I know he ships all over the world. Best of luck!
Thanks for the tip - he's got nothing on ebay at the moment and not my size on etsy -but there's some nice affordable stuff there so I'll keep looking from time to time.

car2oons, Toon?
Maybe a possible source. I don't know anything about the Borsalinos, but perhaps someone here does.

http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78&language=en
interesting that they specify which are ersatz
Welcome
Again, thanks for the tip - they also have some nice looking hats and being Europe, no input charges or taxes. And you're right about the phoenetic 'toons' in my ID. I needed a sort of trademark/logo for my car illustrations that was unique.

tropicalbob

I'm not sure, but I thought Tom Gomez made some hats himself. Perhaps some of the guys here with more knowledge can chime in. Have you tried contacting him directly?

tropicalbob

Additional thought: last year I bought a SunBody 3-in. brim hat made from Guatamalan palm, and it's become my every day, go-to hat. They're very solidly made and you don't have to worry about getting caught in the rain. In fact, you can run tapwater over it and shape it any way you want. At $45.00 it was one of the best purchases I made last year.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Contact Tom directly,,, you can order from him, I would guess in your size he won't have it in stock but I am sure he can what you want and make what you want for a better price than BB...........

I have a few of his hats and he quite nice to work with......

You can even skype with him, talk to him direct and he can show you your hat being worked in progress... really cool.....

car2oonz

New in Town
Contact Tom directly,,, you can order from him, I would guess in your size he won't have it in stock but I am sure he can what you want and make what you want for a better price than BB...........
I have a few of his hats and he quite nice to work with......
You can even skype with him, talk to him direct and he can show you your hat being worked in progress... really cool.....
I've just dropped Tom a line, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I also discovered an Ecuadorean lady here in the Netherlands who imports and sells Panamas online and at events around the country, and she's only about half an hour from me. I'm going to visit her tomorrow so I can try some on and feel the quality. My on-line searching seems to show that photos aren't always reliable. Even the long-established Christys' of London have confusing photos, so I've requested clarification from them. Their size conversion chart has errors in it too! If I'm lucky with the viewing tomorrow, I'll post a picture.

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Black Sheep Hat Works conversion from a wide brim flat top western body. I really liked the patina, open weave, and vented crown. Not the best weave quality but this one will get a lot of wear in it's new blocking and trim.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Nice Mike..... I have never seen one vented like that before......I'm sure they are out there I have just never seen it.... goes well with the pug and most colors........

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
So - I've just found out I'm going to be down in Colombia on business in October. I'm no expert, but I know Bob at least is of the opinion that Colombia produces some excellent alternatives to Ecuador-made Panamas. Can anyone recommend a good shop in Bogota to do a little shopping? Especially with the decline of the Peso, I would imagine there are deals to be had...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner