Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
An unsual but nice crown Daniele. I especially like the unbleached 2 tone weave or patina of it. It sounds like your aversion to straw hats is an unfortunate cultural one, something like associating straw hats to hillbillies here in the new world. All I can say is enjoy it's obvious comfort benefits in the summer and know we can all appreciate it's fine style whether it's paired with peasant wear or formal.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Mike, I have no aversion to straw hats.
I belong from my father to a peasant family - sharecroppers who cultivated strawberries and peaches until the fifties on the banks of the river Adige.
The straw hats were common in my father's family and where I was born and live, in the hills.
The only thing I regret is that I was born in a country famous for having built excellent straw hats for centuries and be forced to wear a hat that comes from far away!
I also like this Montecristi made with straw of different colors.
Honestly I do not like panama white with black ribbon.
They are too common and inflated.

Trevi007

One of the Regulars
Angel Suarez & Hnos. Vintage Panama

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hi, this is a vintage Panama handmade in Ecuador exclusively for the Suarez store in San Juan PR. This store was open from 1886 to early 90's. Hat is in new condition with original box. A great find!

vmtrevino2

A-List Customer
Yes I did and also your PM. Thanks! I'm really happy with this hat. My wife likes it better than my fedora. I think she likes it because the crown is not as high. Funny thing...I 'love' that sulfur smell. How about you? Does anyone hate that smell? I'll post a picture this weekend.

Andy
That smell. Lol

061115.jpg

This is an early Montecristi (1920s - 1930s) which arrived to me in a Kaufmann's box with an L.C. Rossen Hat Co. label where the hat had been renovated (Rossen-ized). Narrow brim, tall crown, beautifully blocked with very little taper. Much patina. This is an example of the wonderful vintage panama hats that used to show up from time to time and sell at low prices on eBay (small sizes).

061115_2.jpg

rossenized.jpg

AndyR

One of the Regulars
That smell. Lol

Mine still smells, thankfully. :D

i love the smell of sulfur in the morning

LOL! Me too.

This mention of sulfur makes me wonder. On the Optimo site, they point out that no sulfur is used in the finishing of their Montecristi hats. Other than the smell, would someone be able to look at and feel two hats and know which one was treated with sulfur and which wasn't?

Is it safe to assume that more hats are treated with sulfur than are not? I wonder if there is a difference between them, regarding longevity. I apologize if this is something I could have found by searching. I'll search as well. I just figured I'd point out what I saw at Optimo.

Andy

AndyR

One of the Regulars
This is an early Montecristi (1920s - 1930s)...(Rossen-ized).

Great old hat Alan. Looks like it was created just for you. Rossen-ized, love that, but you mention a label. Do you mean the little round tag inside? Because the second image is surely a matchbook, no? Was that in the hat? Any matches left in it? Very cool find indeed. Yeah, you need to wear that one more. :)

Andy

Great old hat Alan. Looks like it was created just for you. Rossen-ized, love that, but you mention a label. Do you mean the little round tag inside? Because the second image is surely a matchbook, no? Was that in the hat? Any matches left in it? Very cool find indeed. Yeah, you need to wear that one more. :)

Andy

Hi Andy, the box I mentioned was the hat box that the panama arrived in... an old Kaufmann's box with a shipping label on top from LC Rossen to the owner. Correct on the matchbox and it is matchless.

rossenpanama1.jpg

rossenpanama2.jpg

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Hi Andy, the box I mentioned was the hat box that the panama arrived in... an old Kaufmann's box with a shipping label on top from LC Rossen to the owner. Correct on the matchbox and it is matchless.

DOH! My mistake. I re-read your post and it is clear on the label. It's always fun when there are a few matches, but still a cool additional piece. I enjoy collecting little things like that.

Andy

Jacora

Familiar Face
Anyone have a picture of the Stetson Renaissance being worn? Any opinions on it?

Quoting myself just to get more exposure to my earlier question :)

What I'd really like is a straw (or hemp or polystraw) that's just like my Akubra Banjo Paterson. Blue would be a big plus. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff