Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

052815_1.jpg

052815_2.jpg

habanamonte4.jpg

This montecristi came to me from Buler last year. I have a number of optimo blocked panamas, one or two more finely woven but this one has become my favorite.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I am certainly able to understand the allure of Panamas now that I have experienced a nice one. But, I am still wondering if this Ortega is an entry level or one of the better models that the company makes. Not knowing much about the style or material I don't really feel qualified to guess. Are the pics I posted enough to determine the quality level?
Thanks.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Alan, handsome hat. It has a couple of things my Montecristi does not, a wider brim and that mesh/satin lining. I like the wider brim like yours. I'll look for that on my next one. It looks fine.

Andy

ideaguy

One Too Many
terrific Panama, well-worn ( in the good way)

I've got a super soft/smooth old body, 7 1/2 ish, completely bare; nothing but a really tight weave (can't see through
it looking at the sun) and what looks to be good lines. nothing at all wrong with it, can't see any name anywhere,
but would like to either have it blocked for me-or will consider selling...
will send photos to any interested- I use Picasa, not Lounge-user friendly for posting pictures-could use some help there, too...
ideaguy

I am certainly able to understand the allure of Panamas now that I have experienced a nice one. But, I am still wondering if this Ortega is an entry level or one of the better models that the company makes. Not knowing much about the style or material I don't really feel qualified to guess. Are the pics I posted enough to determine the quality level?
Thanks.

I think you have a nice hat there, Moe. Is it museum quality? Nah, but none-the-less a decent piece of work to keep the sun off and look good doing it. If it fits, wear it!

Alan nothing more can be said about that incredible Optimo. Except, maybe, that it's possibly the perfect one. Why is it that no matter how many great Panamas we see, when a great one like that comes along, they're still exciting?!

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks.

moehawk, if you google the subject, you will find plenty of answers to your question and also see there is much controversy over how straw hats are graded. Here is a link to one of many websites trying to explain weave quality:

http://www.brentblack.com/pages/panamahatgrades2.html#measuringFineness

I think it's clear from your pixs your hat is entry level as far as weave count but I wouldn't get too hung up on weave count, like Alan and Charlie's above post say, if you like the hat then it's a nice one.

Good advice.

There many variations in toquilla palm woven hats from Ecuador and even more choices when you expand the search to other straws and other countries. Some are relatively heavy (milan), some very light (buntal, baku) and all come in a range of qualities generally expressed in the intricacy and evenness of the weaver's work. Then there are the style options in blocking and finishing the hat.

The choice is made even more interesting by your your needs and how and when you will wear it. A very fine and precious Montecristi could be the wrong choice if you intend to wear the hat in very hot conditions and/or for active use.

Straw hats are as wonderful and varied as a summer day. I like to have a few to choose from. ;)

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again for the responses. The link gave me a ton of information to get started on learning about Panama hats and also a bit more appreciation of the weaver's art. Also confirmed my suspicions that the grade system fir Panamas is s random and confusing and unreliable as the X system for felt.
Even at an entry level weave this Ortega is still the finest straw that I've held before. I straightened it out on my block last night and gave the brim a little attention and wore it out all day today. Half the time I forgot that it was even on my head, that is until someone commented (nicely) on it. I will certainly be keeping my eye out for other good ones now.

vmtrevino2

A-List Customer
I'm glad your PHD fedora showed up. You are obviously better at ordering the correct size than I am. :eusa_clap

Nice looking hat. I see the fedora has a bow. The Havana (which I ordered), does not...unless it was missing. Who knows. My replacement should come in at the end of the week.

Andy
Ever get your PHD?

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Yes I did and also your PM. Thanks! I'm really happy with this hat. My wife likes it better than my fedora. I think she likes it because the crown is not as high. Funny thing...I 'love' that sulfur smell. How about you? Does anyone hate that smell? I'll post a picture this weekend.

Andy

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is my first "serious" contribution to the thread dedicated to Panama hats.
I am a luke warm lover of straw hats, maybe because I've seen too many in my childhood.
They were the principal headgear of the majority of men and women in my countryside or in the hills.
dqkbxf.jpg

This year I made a purchase targeted at Panama Hats Direct.
2cysapx.jpg

I purchased some hats for me and for the family.
I was very happy with the quality of the finishing and straw cos' as the price.
2hozcoz.jpg

This Fino - Fino in particular attracted me by its elegant shape and unusual shape.
ivveyr.jpg

I will tell you in the hot Italian summer what will be its use ... Meanwhile, he began its work.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This is my first "serious" contribution to the thread dedicated to Panama hats.
I am a luke warm lover of straw hats, maybe because I've seen too many in my childhood.
They were the principal headgear of the majority of men and women in my countryside or in the hills.
dqkbxf.jpg

This year I made a purchase targeted at Panama Hats Direct.
2cysapx.jpg

I purchased some hats for me and for the family.
I was very happy with the quality of the finishing and straw cos' as the price.
2hozcoz.jpg

This Fino - Fino in particular attracted me by its elegant shape and unusual shape.
ivveyr.jpg

I will tell you in the hot Italian summer what will be its use ... Meanwhile, he began its work.

Which model is that Mr Tanto? The crown is very nice. Both a friend of mine and myself are considering purchasing from Panama Hats Direct. Thank you Sir. I too am more into fur felts than straws.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Bob this model was in the "discount section" because it seems that no one want it.
I liked it from winter and when it is springtime I saved some money from Italians felt hats to buy it with some others from PHD
I'm satisfied until now...but summer is still to come.

A prayer for you. Looking to learn to put photos of hats you wear.
Be a good boy. I can give you some indication via email. Do not be too shy :)

Indeed, Daniele, but we like him!

Bob, I know I mentioned a walk through the process, but I don't even have a smart phone yet, (waiting for them to be perfected, and to "catch on") so I can't help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk