Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Greetings. Was hoping someone might assist. I have searched here and elsewhere on Panama hat care. I have a beautiful 10 year old Montecristi from Panama Bob. It fits perfectly. Yet it seems to be developing "wings" along the sides of the brim. I have tried to iron, steam, tea kettle, and starch numerous times. I love the hat. I want to keep it. But I do not know what to do. My wife believes it is beginning to look like something Jethro would have worn in The Beverly Hillbillies--for those who can recall the show. Welcome any advice. Best regards to all. View attachment 38943 View attachment 38944
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Apologies for,sending the photos twice...just received Art Fawcett and Dave's restored Montecristi...if you compare the former photos with the new ones, you will see the difference. The ugly guy remains the same but the hat is much improved.

The hat is better than new...it is ready for my Spring Training Road Trip to Jupiter FL to see God's baseball team--the Saint Louis Cardinals.

Thanks Art and Dave for doing all of this....

We are in the low 50's up here in Vancouver, the crocus and daffodils are just beginning to show above ground and the Cherry blossoms have bloomed in some areas but alas it continues to rain and will continue through to about mid June. So unless I travel down south the Panamas stay in their boxes until beginning of July and it is a short 2.5 month season.

Straw Golfer

New in Town
I'm a long-time lurker, but a recent member. I have a situation that I hope you all might be able to help me with. A few weeks ago I bought what I thought was a basic panama hat on Ebay for $35.00 (including shipping). when it arrived, I immediately saw it was more than than a basic hat. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't fit.
So, I guess I should sell it, but it I only have experience with much lower quality hats.

It is at least 50 years old. It is a Hopkins of Baltimore 7 3/8. I have a bunch of photos. Would I be out of line asking for some guidance from the forum?

Attachments

• _MG_3194.jpg
    _MG_3194.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 218
  • _MG_3196.jpg
    _MG_3196.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 209
  • weave close-up.jpg
    weave close-up.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 199

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm a long-time lurker, but a recent member. I have a situation that I hope you all might be able to help me with. A few weeks ago I bought what I thought was a basic panama hat on Ebay for $35.00 (including shipping). when it arrived, I immediately saw it was more than than a basic hat. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't fit.
So, I guess I should sell it, but it I only have experience with much lower quality hats.

It is at least 50 years old. It is a Hopkins of Baltimore 7 3/8. I have a bunch of photos. Would I be out of line asking for some guidance from the forum?
Of course not and no worrys. I'll give you $36 dollars for it and even pay the shipping! ;)

dnjan

One Too Many
Straw Hat Day is May 15th. Felt hat Day is September 15th.

As Vmtrevino has observed, however, YMMV.
I know that in the U.S. we take these things fairly loosely, but what is the interpretation in Europe? I will be taking a trip to Italy and Spain in late April to mid May. Will a straw hat label me as an "uninformed American", or are things fairly open these days in Europe as well?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I know that in the U.S. we take these things fairly loosely, but what is the interpretation in Europe? I will be taking a trip to Italy and Spain in late April to mid May. Will a straw hat label me as an "uninformed American", or are things fairly open these days in Europe as well?

It depends where you will be in Italy and Spain during the period scheduled for your Europe trip.
If it is south parts of both countries a panama is good.
In April and May in Italy and Spain it could rain, sometimes a lot.
April is the most unstable month here in the south Europe but there will be alternation in sun and rain.
Then there is your taste about hats......and weather.
By the way in Italy and Spain you could find fantastic panamas to buy if needed

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Depends on where you tie up your horse, Sir ;) :D

I'm quite sure, a Panama fedora will let you blend in, most anywhere in Europe. Dining with a fork only will give your nationality away much sooner than any hat. Don't forget using the knife, and you'll be absolutely incognito ;)

dnjan

One Too Many
I'm quite sure, a Panama fedora will let you blend in, most anywhere in Europe. Dining with a fork only will give your nationality away much sooner than any hat. Don't forget using the knife, and you'll be absolutely incognito ;)
The furthest north we will be is Venice and Madrid. Might be a bit cool there, but I think I will want the straw for Sevilla (later in the trip). As for rain, I always bring a tilley mesh hat (actually got a new tilley "mash-up" last summer) when I travel with a straw hat. (such a pain to try to travel with two hats that one 'doesn't want to get crushed)

With respect to eating with a knife - after being laughed at by colleagues in London back in the '80's for my "American shuffle" of switching the knife and fork in my hands after cutting each bite of meat, I converted to the "fork in the left, knife in the right, use your left hand to put food in your mouth" approach. My wife doesn't like it, so I generally slip out of that a few weeks after returning home.

And, of course, I avoid the biggest "American giveaway" for a man - I don't wear shorts. I figure it is the least I can do for the good of humanity.

(and don't even get me started on man-capris)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran